Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Book Cover - possible end of book spoiler discussions

Hey guys, every so often I have looked at the cover of the book. So, do you think:

A. It's just a general but interesting cover to let you know its about the circus.
B. It's shows something seemingly secretive, like maybe the tent of Barbara's act, suggesting the seedier side of the circus life.
C. It's just showing something mysterious in the circus and the shadow of the man at the other side adds to the mystery.
D. It's showing something mysterious going on in the book, like the ending, and the shadow figure on the other side is to reinforce who or what you believe happened in the prologue, another illusion.

Any thoughts about the cover? I thought about it and how it might fit any of these categories but to me now, its most like D.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Book Cover - possible end of book spoiler discussions

vivico1 wrote:
Hey guys, every so often I have looked at the cover of the book. So, do you think:

A. It's just a general but interesting cover to let you know its about the circus.
B. It's shows something seemingly secretive, like maybe the tent of Barbara's act, suggesting the seedier side of the circus life.
C. It's just showing something mysterious in the circus and the shadow of the man at the other side adds to the mystery.
D. It's showing something mysterious going on in the book, like the ending, and the shadow figure on the other side is to reinforce who or what you believe happened in the prologue, another illusion.

Any thoughts about the cover? I thought about it and how it might fit any of these categories but to me now, its most like D.

Or all of the above.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Now that I have read the book I think the cover shows August walking into a tent with Jacob watching him from the shadows. Prior to reading the book, I thought it was a performer walking into a circus tent.

Generally, I am not much into the covers of books. I don't use them to help decide whether or not to read a book, so I usually don't really look at them until I have finished the book.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
Now that I have read the book I think the cover shows August walking into a tent with Jacob watching him from the shadows. Prior to reading the book, I thought it was a performer walking into a circus tent.

Generally, I am not much into the covers of books. I don't use them to help decide whether or not to read a book, so I usually don't really look at them until I have finished the book.

Thats a pretty good thought about what it could be, because August or Uncle Al, would be dressed like that, and that could be Jacob in the background watching. I just found that shadowy figure in the background very interesting from the first.

As for deciding about a book from the cover before you buy them, I do know they want eye appeal to get people to pick it up and read about it and then buy it, so covers are very important. But on this one, for me, from this cover I would have passed it by without reading about it. The reason is, what a lot of us said, we weren't interested in circus books. I wasn't, it took all the buzz about it to get me to then read about the story and buy the book because the cover definitely looked like just a circus story especially with the name. Who knew how good a circus book could be! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Thats a pretty good thought about what it could be, because August or Uncle Al, would be dressed like that, and that could be Jacob in the background watching. I just found that shadowy figure in the background very interesting from the first.

As for deciding about a book from the cover before you buy them, I do know they want eye appeal to get people to pick it up and read about it and then buy it, so covers are very important. But on this one, for me, from this cover I would have passed it by without reading about it. The reason is, what a lot of us said, we weren't interested in circus books. I wasn't, it took all the buzz about it to get me to then read about the story and buy the book because the cover definitely looked like just a circus story especially with the name. Who knew how good a circus book could be! :smileywink:

I didn't think much of the cover at first. I guess that is why it took me so long to pick it up and read it. After finishing the book, i think the person in the tent is Uncle AL. He was found rolled up in the tent after the disaster. I think he was the only one to wear red. Even though he wasn't the focus of the story, it was still his circus, and he is keeping tabs on what is going on.
MG
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:
After finishing the book, i think the person in the tent is Uncle AL. He was found rolled up in the tent after the disaster. I think he was the only one to wear red. Even though he wasn't the focus of the story, it was still his circus, and he is keeping tabs on what is going on.
MG

What do you make of the distant silhouette by his left arm? Could it be Jacob?
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

fordmg wrote:
After finishing the book, i think the person in the tent is Uncle AL. He was found rolled up in the tent after the disaster. I think he was the only one to wear red. Even though he wasn't the focus of the story, it was still his circus, and he is keeping tabs on what is going on.
MG

What do you make of the distant silhouette by his left arm? Could it be Jacob?

It took me a long time to even notice the silhouette! The figure in the coat reminds me of Uncle Al or a ring master in general anyway. I like that it's a bit vague so we can use our imagination. I would be curious though to know what the artist intended with the figure in the background.

I really enjoy looking at covers and thinking about how they relate to their stories and why those particular choices were made for creating them. It's very important for them to be able to get the potential reader's attention. There are certain looks and colors that I seem to be partial to and they will get me to notice them. The cover alone doesn't get me to take the book though. I think it takes a lot more than that for most readers especially if they are considering buying the book.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Very observant! I was so distracted by the pink sequined jacket that I did not notice the shadowy figure. The paleness of the man's hand really grosses me out for some reason too.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Very observant! I was so distracted by the pink sequined jacket that I did not notice the shadowy figure. The paleness of the man's hand really grosses me out for some reason too.

yeah, looks like death wearing a circus outfit with that hand huh. Definitely death at the hands of Uncle Al,the ring leader (in more ways than one).
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 370 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: