Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters/ Biblical Jacob

First of all, thanks Vivian and IBIS for the info. Geez! That really is a stretch and I too feel that looking for parallels distracts from the story. However...........here is my little contribution, it just jumped out at me while I was reading....Chapter 4 - August "Come on then" yells a voice from the roof - Jacob "How the hell did you do that? What did you grab?" - August "There's a ladder. Just around the side..... reach for it. You'll find it" Jacob - What if I don't?" August - "Then I guess we'll take our leave, won't we?" TaDa! It's Jacob's ladder!!! Jacob's dream of angels climbing the ladder toward heaven. OR it could be ours as we reach for similarities, yuck, yuck :smileyhappy:
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
First of all, thanks Vivian and IBIS for the info. Geez! That really is a stretch and I too feel that looking for parallels distracts from the story. However...........here is my little contribution, it just jumped out at me while I was reading....Chapter 4 - August "Come on then" yells a voice from the roof - Jacob "How the hell did you do that? What did you grab?" - August "There's a ladder. Just around the side..... reach for it. You'll find it" Jacob - What if I don't?" August - "Then I guess we'll take our leave, won't we?" TaDa! It's Jacob's ladder!!! Jacob's dream of angels climbing the ladder toward heaven. OR it could be ours as we reach for similarities, yuck, yuck :smileyhappy:

Good one!!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Carmenere_Lady, yes, Jacob's Ladder to heaven.

However, ironically in this story, Jacob climbs the ladder, but doesn't meet angels on their way to heaven, he meets August on his way to hell on earth!

IBIS

Message Edited by IBIS on 12-09-2007 06:15 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Adult Children's means of living, biblical Jacob

IBIS wrote:
Cindersue, what's DAC mean?

IBIS

Yes DAC = dazed and confused. I have a 17 year old around, and I hear this at times. There are many abbreviations for phases that I have found while playing games in "the zone." Now you would say, Cindy, TMI! TMI = too much information. :smileywink: SYL, :smileywink:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters - Trudging through.

Well, here I am after 3 weeks of reading WFE and I'm only on chapter 6! Chug, chug, chug the train moves ever so slowly and so is this story. Perhaps it's just me and this busy time of year doesn't leave much time for reading. Did anyone else feel like they were stuck in sludge for awhile? Will it pick up a little bit? I like the story, just slow moving :/
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

LyndaSue,
While reading this story, I know I had been distracted, a time or two. This time of year doesn't help matters, either. It's a story, while reading, keeps you moving along, but once you put it down, there were so many obstacles that each of these characters were revealing, it made it a little difficult to pick up where you left off, and continue the easy flow, until you got back into the rhythm, again. So much to see and hear, the continuity was easily broken, when I got distracted. At least that's my feelings on it. I loved the writing, there was no fault there, it was just so complex, it demands a little more continued attention..... when I could just take the day and read, it felt much more enjoyable.

Kathy S.

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Well, here I am after 3 weeks of reading WFE and I'm only on chapter 6! Chug, chug, chug the train moves ever so slowly and so is this story. Perhaps it's just me and this busy time of year doesn't leave much time for reading. Did anyone else feel like they were stuck in sludge for awhile? Will it pick up a little bit? I like the story, just slow moving :/

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I agree that the structure of the novel lends itself to concrete breaks... when one section of young Jacob in the circus ends, and seques into old Jacob in the nursing home. I usually stopped reading at one of those "train station" stops, and got off.

If Sara Gruen had structured her novel with the sure-fire technique of cliff-hangers, which always grabs readers into "I wonder what'll happen next" mode, WATER would have been more of a page-turner ... but as it is, it's a wonderfully constructed novel that travels along parallel story lines of young man and older man.

It's a leisurely read. With many rewards.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Camenere_lady,

I loved this book. I loved how well she did go from the old Jacob to the young without it getting confusing. It was well done and did give me places to break if I wanted. Having said that If you are on chapter 6, I am going to give you my honest thoughts and not try to suger coat it because I loved it. The pace of the book, to me, stayed interesting all the way through and made me want to keep reading. It does not start at one pace and then later pick up. Its just there, same pace from beginning to end, altho like all good book some parts keep you glued to the story more than others. So, altho I would love to say, and do, to keep going, in all actuality, not all books are for all people. We don't all like the same books and thats ok. Not a thing wrong with that :smileywink:. It may be that its just as you say, the time of year and harder for you to keep with this type of story and if thats so, maybe if you need to put it down for now, you might try again in a few months and see what you think. I do know some people just dont like this book and its as simple as that. You may, but just not now. Hey, it starts with a murder! Then a man loses his folks, home,money and everything and just walks away and winds up in the circus. Thats a pretty big pop for a start lol, so if you finding that not enough to keep you with it right now, well I think the "pace" of the book, isnt going to get any better for you. But I still say, it could be just that its not the book for you right now, and that if your really not into by now, come back to it another time and give it a second chance. You may find it a pretty fast read then and love it. Or you may just find, I still really dont like this book LOL, never can tell, but I am being honest here, if its been 3 weeks and you are just at chapter 6, this may not be the right book for ya right now. Never force a read or instead of being an enjoyable journey, it will become a "sludgey" task. Just one person's opinion, dont want to see you drop out but dont want to see you not have the best chance of keeping your own good pace with it so it does move better for you. Then as it moves along, in return, it will move you. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
LyndaSue,
While reading this story, I know I had been distracted, a time or two. This time of year doesn't help matters, either. It's a story, while reading, keeps you moving along, but once you put it down, there were so many obstacles that each of these characters were revealing, it made it a little difficult to pick up where you left off, and continue the easy flow, until you got back into the rhythm, again. So much to see and hear, the continuity was easily broken, when I got distracted. At least that's my feelings on it. I loved the writing, there was no fault there, it was just so complex, it demands a little more continued attention..... when I could just take the day and read, it felt much more enjoyable.

Kathy S.

Carmenere_lady wrote:

LyndaSue,
That happens to me sometimes too, especially when I am busy with other things. The last book I read was such a struggle because I was only able to read it in bits and pieces. It was really good but it felt like it just dragged because of that. This can be such a hectic time of year and it can be hard to have much time to read. I was lucky with this book and I was able to move along at a steady pace. I really liked it and I wanted to read every chance I got. If you like it too keep chugging, it will be worth it. We'll be here! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Hey ladies, thanks for all the support. It's true, the book has a rhythm to it. The episodes of old Jacob, young Jacob are evenly paced and flow so effortlessly that I don't even know it's happening and sometimes I've had to turn back and say "Oh! that's where the transition happended." :smileyhappy: A few long stretches of reading time will get me back on course. Oh, where is that "Red Tent" when you need it!. LOL

I'm in at least until Riverton arrives at which point I'll put down WFE for a while. Hope to see you all in Middle Chapters soon..........
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
Hey ladies, thanks for all the support. It's true, the book has a rhythm to it. The episodes of old Jacob, young Jacob are evenly paced and flow so effortlessly that I don't even know it's happening and sometimes I've had to turn back and say "Oh! that's where the transition happended." :smileyhappy: A few long stretches of reading time will get me back on course. Oh, where is that "Red Tent" when you need it!. LOL

I'm in at least until Riverton arrives at which point I'll put down WFE for a while. Hope to see you all in Middle Chapters soon..........

LyndaSue, we will be here :smileywink:. Who knows, you may be at some point in the book that has really got you reading just about the time the other book comes hehe. It really is a good book, I think anyway.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Camenere_lady,

I loved this book. I loved how well she did go from the old Jacob to the young without it getting confusing. It was well done and did give me places to break if I wanted. Having said that If you are on chapter 6, I am going to give you my honest thoughts and not try to suger coat it because I loved it. The pace of the book, to me, stayed interesting all the way through and made me want to keep reading. It does not start at one pace and then later pick up. Its just there, same pace from beginning to end, altho like all good book some parts keep you glued to the story more than others. So, altho I would love to say, and do, to keep going, in all actuality, not all books are for all people. We don't all like the same books and thats ok. Not a thing wrong with that :smileywink:. It may be that its just as you say, the time of year and harder for you to keep with this type of story and if thats so, maybe if you need to put it down for now, you might try again in a few months and see what you think. I do know some people just dont like this book and its as simple as that. You may, but just not now. Hey, it starts with a murder! Then a man loses his folks, home,money and everything and just walks away and winds up in the circus. Thats a pretty big pop for a start lol, so if you finding that not enough to keep you with it right now, well I think the "pace" of the book, isnt going to get any better for you. But I still say, it could be just that its not the book for you right now, and that if your really not into by now, come back to it another time and give it a second chance. You may find it a pretty fast read then and love it. Or you may just find, I still really dont like this book LOL, never can tell, but I am being honest here, if its been 3 weeks and you are just at chapter 6, this may not be the right book for ya right now. Never force a read or instead of being an enjoyable journey, it will become a "sludgey" task. Just one person's opinion, dont want to see you drop out but dont want to see you not have the best chance of keeping your own good pace with it so it does move better for you. Then as it moves along, in return, it will move you. :smileywink:

Vivian, I will have to agree with you. This book never let me down below speeding .
It was at a awesome pace. I went from one section to the other devouring into every crack and cranny on the pages. Not even wanting to eat or shop. Now I have it all to do! Not eating of course. I survived with less of that. But this is on the top of my list. This is no. 1 Viv, on our list we are making rating our books.
Users Online
Currently online: 58 members 1,180 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: