Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Adult Children's means of living

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Thats true Fozzie, but I have seen parents, especially when they have more than one child wanting to go to college, barely getting by and eating up their retirement funds to pay for a kid in college who ONLY works in the summer and thats a maybe.

It took me 12 years to pay back my student loans. I hope my kids will be able to pay theirs off quicker. We have our first child in college this year and next year we will have two. We are learning by trial and error but it's not easy. My parents helped us out where they could and we all worked summers and during school. My kids will have to do the same because there just isn't enough money to cover everything. My freshman has learned to eat lots of soup and cereal, knows where the Dollar Store is and knows who gives student discounts. There are so many variables involved in the cost, some states offer very cheap or free tuition to college (not mine), amounts of awards and scholarships earned, different maximum amts. for loans, huge differences in tuition (my friend pays $24,000./yr. for flight school for her son) and all of the extras that come along (my kid is playing a sport and we have to pay for the clothing for it, a spring trip, equipment - it's worse than high school!). It's hard not to go to school and it's hard to go. And all parents want their kids to do well and be successful and happy with their choices. My kids have to be because I've already told them they will be supporting us, and it's going to be sooner than they think! :smileywink:

And what student doesnt know about Ramen noodles LOL. I see them buy them by the boxload hehel. Hey I have too at times :smileywink:.
I dont know how common this is, speaking of state tuitions ands grants, but one of my friends at church told me that when you child here reaches 8th grade, if you sign up for this student assistance program and stay in high school and maintain just a C average, that when they graduate, they receive scholarships for college. She said, neither of my kids would have been able to go to college at all if it werent for that. I think thats wonderful and just a C average to get it?? wow.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
And what student doesnt know about Ramen noodles LOL. I see them buy them by the boxload hehel. Hey I have too at times :smileywink:.

Ha! Ramen noodles - my college kid has them! And I just sent him back with new boxes of cereal. I ate a lot of pasta and poured the sauce out of the jar directly onto it rather than heating it up. I also ate cold Spaghetti Os out of the can. Yum. :smileyindifferent:
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Sappho wrote:
What if Every Child reaches a mid life crisis between the ages of say 15 to twenty-two? At a particular moment that human being makes a conscious, or perhaps semi-conscious drastic decision which becomes the first real choice as to a desired life direction, however vaguely this might be articulated, or realized as truly a giant step made all by oneself.

This is a completely new and interesting idea to me. I didn't think of Jacob as having a crisis due to his age/position in life. I thought of him as having a crisis born of having his world turned upside down by the death and financial problems of his parents.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Sappho wrote:
What if Every Child reaches a mid life crisis between the ages of say 15 to twenty-two? At a particular moment that human being makes a conscious, or perhaps semi-conscious drastic decision which becomes the first real choice as to a desired life direction, however vaguely this might be articulated, or realized as truly a giant step made all by oneself.

This is a completely new and interesting idea to me. I didn't think of Jacob as having a crisis due to his age/position in life. I thought of him as having a crisis born of having his world turned upside down by the death and financial problems of his parents.

I don't think young Jacob had that kind of crisis either, or that he made a decision of a of his life's direction consciously or unconsciously at that point. I think he was simply in terrible grief, real definable shock, and just walked away. I don't think he had any idea of where he was walking to, or if he would come back or what he was doing, he just walked until he stopped. I really believe he was in a state of shock and when he realized where he was and what little options he had, he just went with it because at that moment, maybe it didn't even matter to him what he did. Tragedy and grief can cause one to do such a thing, shut down, or just go with whatever is happening.

I will say this tho, I do think that a lot of high school seniors who have no plans, about mid school year suddenly have an "early life crisis" and realize, oh crap, in a couple of months this is all over and I have to get into college or get a job or something! I have to be an adult now! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Jacob's life crisis

If Jacob underwent some kind of life crisis at 21, wouldn't it be a quarter-life crisis?

We all undergo various crisis during our lifetimes; they range from universal ones... in adolescence to leave childhood and its toys behind and enter adulthood... to the more specific ones like one's financial status and having to make do with less.

I remember having a serious childhood crisis when I turned 11, and my family had to immigrate to the US and start a brand-new life as strangers in a strange land.

Living our human lives means that we all have turmoil of one sort or another thrown at us. How we decide to resolve them is what defines who we finally become.

Jacob's response to his parents death and subsequent depression, was to run away on a freight train and join the circus. The difference between his response and someone else's is what makes this novel an interesting read.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Ha! Ramen noodles - my college kid has them! And I just sent him back with new boxes of cereal. I ate a lot of pasta and poured the sauce out of the jar directly onto it rather than heating it up. I also ate cold Spaghetti Os out of the can. Yum. :smileyindifferent:

Don't forget tuna fish! :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hey, I do tuna fish today, great Weight Watchers food lol. :smileywink:
Vivian
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Me, too, on tuna. And breakfast cereal will cover for a lot of not cooking. But credos to anyone who can eat Spaghetti O's, let alone cold and out of the can! :smileyvery-happy:

vivico1 wrote:
Hey, I do tuna fish today, great Weight Watchers food lol. :smileywink:

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
And what student doesn't know about Ramen noodles LOL. I see them buy them by the boxload hehe. Hey I have too at times :smileywink:.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Early Life Crises and Subsequent Life Directions

HEY! THANKS for this whole thread of discussion. I may finally have found parallels to the biblical Jacob story! Remember how Rebekah convinces Jacob to take his brother Esau's blessing from Isaac? Now Jacob is forced (or convinced or chooses?), as a young man, to run off. He finds himself in strange territory, is tricked by Laban, develops a whole life for himself, becomes quite adept at fending in adverse conditions, eventually has a large family and even returns in sort of a circle of life.

I'm still most open to other insights -- but that's my hypothesis at the moment.

Fozzie wrote:

Sappho wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:
HEY! THANKS for this whole thread of discussion. I may finally have found parallels to the biblical Jacob story! Remember how Rebekah convinces Jacob to take his brother Esau's blessing from Isaac? Now Jacob is forced (or convinced or chooses?), as a young man, to run off. He finds himself in strange territory, is tricked by Laban, develops a whole life for himself, becomes quite adept at fending in adverse conditions, eventually has a large family and even returns in sort of a circle of life.

I'm still most open to other insights -- but that's my hypothesis at the moment.

Fozzie wrote:

Sappho wrote:

Actually tho,Jacob did not have to run away,he was forbidden to marry a Canaanite so Isaac tells him where to go, to find a wife and tho its not his land, it is the land of his uncle on his mother's side and known to the family. The rest, yeah I agree that August is like Laban but like someone said (sorry, you cant look back at all the threads once you start writing to give credit so i cant now to who said it lol)but I also think it is a real stretch for Sara to compare the stories, and whats with the comparing characters names to those too? As for the rest of what you said, yeah he was tricked, had to learn to overcome adversity, falls in love, has a large family and returns home but while that is all true, it can be said of so many stories or a whole lot of things we all go through in life, that I just still can't see why she finds such a big comparision to the story of Jacob in particular, know what I mean? Its just a stretch to me. Jacob of the bible didnt lose his parents or birthright (the will of Jacob in the story). Jacob in the bible may have been under Laban's thumb working for what he wanted just as Jacob in the story was under Uncle Al's thumb to get paid, but that is so not unique to the biblical story of the bible. Lots of people are under the thumb, in jobs that pay little and they can't leave.I could think of lots of other books to compare that part to, than the biblical story. To me, its such a loose comparison, I could just as well compare myself to anyone of the women in the bible and find similarities. If she were here, this is one of her own questions that I would definitely question her on lol.
Vivian
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Vivian wrote: Actually tho, Jacob did not have to run away, he was forbidden to marry a Canaanite so Isaac tells him where to go, to find a wife and tho its not his land, it is the land of his uncle on his mother's side and known to the family.

Ah, you sent me back to Genesis for the second time today (which is good). In 27:3, Rebekah warns Jacob that his brother Esau wants to kill him, so in 27:46 she tells Isaac that he must send Jacob to find a wife of whom she can approve. (Sounds as manipulative as Garth's mother in the IDYLLS that I am trying to comprehend.)

http://bible.oremus.org/?passage=Exodus+27

But, I agree with you, it feels more a stretch than an integral part of the story. On the other hand, there may be a sermon somewhere that gave this focus for Sara -- and I did find this perspective insightful to the Biblical story. Hopefully, we will see or hear Gruen address the subject herself. Or some critic.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

May I ask, if its ok, are you using the standard King James version of the bible? Thats what I use and 27:3 is Isaac telling his son to go out and get him some venison. Rebekah did warn her son from 27:42 on that Esau may try to kill him so he should leave and does tell Isaac what good shall my life do me, if he marries one of the girls of Heth (the local girls) lol . Go on to the first couple of verses in chapter 43. Isaac does call on Jacob and tells him not to marry one of the daughters of Canaan to to go to the land of his Uncles for a wife. Now this isn't really about Rebekah wanting a wife she can approve of, what the problem is and she knows this is, that if he marries a Canaanite woman, he is marrying outside the covenant (the faith) and his children will not hold the blessings of the covenant nor the priesthood. (They were all forbidden from marrying Canaanites.)She is saying, what will my life amount to if I have gone through all this to raise sons in the covenant only to lose them. The covenant of Abraham, of Adam of all the Patriarchs of the bible was the right to the priesthood and it had to be intact, down through the loins of the house of David, that Christ might come from that line and be born in the covenanted people also. All throughout the bible, especially the old testament, since it has more stories of love and marriage, you will find where men of the covenant were going after women of the world and getting in trouble about it, or warned against it. In many cases, not to even mingle with them. So yeah, Rebekah warns him, you are right, but it was Isaac who actually gave him his blessing and charge to go and where to go and why. So in a sense we are basically saying the same thing :smileywink:. And so see, what the heck has this got to do with this story huh LOL! Oh well, I don't think its at all integral to this story one way or the other huh, its just weird that the author would say that, but not why.

P.S. Speaking of the King James version, I am a Mormon, TADA, see, Mormons do read the bible LOL and all of us use the standard King James version, we dont have our own version as many people believe. Just a tid bit for ya hehe :smileywink:
Vivian
Peppermill
0 Kudos

OK! So you sent me to Genesis a second time (3rd pass today)! And, yes, I can't type and/or record my references correctly! :smileysad: Anyway, regardless of whether KJV or NRSV (which is the link I gave and the version I use most), the stories are essentially the same here. And, yes, Esau has already married Hittite women (26:34), so it is important that Jacob marry "within the faith." Hmmm -- it says Esau was forty at that point! Now they were twins, so Jacob wouldn't have been young? (And at 28:9, Esau marries Mahalath, so he too can please his father.)

I abandon this train of thought, at least for now!

vivico1 wrote:
May I ask, if its ok, are you using the standard King James version of the bible? Thats what I use and 27:3 is Isaac telling his son to go out and get him some venison. Rebekah did warn her son from 27:42 on that Esau may try to kill him so he should leave and does tell Isaac what good shall my life do me, if he marries one of the girls of Heth (the local girls) lol . Go on to the first couple of verses in chapter 43. {28?} Isaac does call on Jacob and tells him not to marry one of the daughters of Canaan to to go to the land of his Uncles for a wife. Now this isn't really about Rebekah wanting a wife she can approve of, what the problem is and she knows this is, that if he marries a Canaanite woman, he is marrying outside the covenant (the faith) and his children will not hold the blessings of the covenant nor the priesthood. (They were all forbidden from marrying Canaanites.)She is saying, what will my life amount to if I have gone through all this to raise sons in the covenant only to lose them. The covenant of Abraham, of Adam of all the Patriarchs of the bible was the right to the priesthood and it had to be intact, down through the loins of the house of David, that Christ might come from that line and be born in the covenanted people also. All throughout the bible, especially the old testament, since it has more stories of love and marriage, you will find where men of the covenant were going after women of the world and getting in trouble about it, or warned against it. In many cases, not to even mingle with them. So yeah, Rebekah warns him, you are right, but it was Isaac who actually gave him his blessing and charge to go and where to go and why. So in a sense we are basically saying the same thing :smileywink:. And so see, what the heck has this got to do with this story huh LOL! Oh well, I don't think its at all integral to this story one way or the other huh, its just weird that the author would say that, but not why.

P.S. Speaking of the King James version, I am a Mormon, TADA, see, Mormons do read the bible LOL and all of us use the standard King James version, we dont have our own version as many people believe. Just a tid bit for ya hehe :smileywink:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

I abandon this train of thought, at least for now!

________________________________________________________________________________________

me too except one last thought, hey 40 is young!~ :smileywink: at least then it was and for me it was LOL :smileyvery-happy:

p.s. Peppermill? I just got to thinking and came back to this note, I hope it didnt sound like I was saying anything against what version of the bible you were using in our last posts. I didn't mean it that way, I was just wondering where you were looking so I could find it too, cause it wasnt the same is all. I wasn't trying to say you can't quote right or anything either, hope it didnt come across that way. Just wanting to keep up with your posts and thoughts :smileywink:. I just wanted to be sure you knew that, k? Sometimes things may sound a bit different in writing than you are thinking when you are typing them and I certainly don't want to offend. Especially someone who is really cool about participating :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 11-29-2007 05:17 PM
Vivian
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Posting (off WFE)

Vivico 1: "Sometimes things may sound a bit different in writing than you are thinking when you are typing them and I certainly don't want to offend."

Vivian -- Don't worry, you didn't. I consider it somewhat flattering when someone reads me closely enough to catch me when I have messed up. But thank you, too, for being considerate enough to ask. And for your kind words. I enjoy your posts, too.

Incidentally, I tend to read the Bible in several versions when I have time -- a wonderful teaching minister trained me that way. I don't intend to even broach the ancient languages though, at least in this lifetime! But I do enjoy the insights of those who have.

PS -- don't hesitate to call me on it if I ever offend. You are not the only one of us who can sound different to the reader than we intend when we write.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters

vivico1 wrote:

Peppermill wrote:
Would somebody help me understand the parallels with the Biblical Jacob?

Thanks!

Peppermill, I find it strange that Sara Gruen compares her Jacob and some other characters to the biblical Jacob. I wish she was here to explain. Here is the main part of the question in the back of the book for those who may not have the book anymore: "Sara Gruen has said that the "backbone" of her novel "parallels the biblical story of Jacob"......Jacob lies "back on the bank, resting my head on a flat stone" (page 23). In what other ways does WFE parallel the story of the biblical Jacob? How do the names of many of the characters reflect names of characters in the biblical account?

Beats the heck out of me!! LOLOL. OK, I see where she used basically one line (the above) that is like the verses in Genesis 28:10-11, "And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran. And he lighted upon a certain place and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep."

OK, so one line. I can think of many other biblical characters that compare with Jacob more. Remember in the biblical story of Jacob, Esau, his twin brother sells him his birthright as the first son and so Jacob gets the blessing of the first son. He later journeys east looking for a wife and tells Laban he will work 7 years for him if he can then marry his daughter Rachel, but because of getting drunk on his wedding day (dont even get me going on Jacob gets what he deserves here, actually, I think he does, lol cause he is a righteous man worthy of the first born's blessings or God would not have granted them even if Esau sold it to him) anyway, Laban tricks him and marries him to Leah and then Jacob has to work another 7 years for him to be able to marry Rachel. He had 12 sons who became the heads of Israel, (the 12 tribes of Israel).

Now, knowing the story of Jacob of the bible, someone else is going to have to show me the parallels, cause I dont see them. I see him more as a Joseph maybe but I don't really get the connections here. Jacob of the bible didn't just walk away, he didnt lose his parents or homeland. I don't see what she means by the parallels in any of the names. I see Uncle Al as being somewhat like Laban, always tricking people into a deal for himself. I see the parallel of those working for the circus, lining up for their pay, only to be told they will get it the next time and so they have to labor longer. I dont see Rachel or Leah as paralleling Marlena. I see one line and a general theme, but thats common in a lot of stories. Forget the other names or people, I don't even see the parallel with Jacob himself! So this is all I know, maybe you guys can figure this one out.Sorry Peppermill.

Viv, I also couldn't see alot of similarities in the Jacobs also. But the fact of being out in the wild somewhat at first and then the struggle he had to obtain his true true love as the bibical Jacob also did. I hope someone explains it further, but maybe that is the only similarities there are. It was a beautiful book.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty; you are right, I was one of those parents that scrimped and scrimped to pay for four children to go to college. My husband and I had normal paying jobs, we weren't even considered high middle class, but we worked 2 jobs, stayed quite in debt and insisted that the children go to state colleges that remain economically better and also have good reputations. We also insisted that at sixteen they work parttime jobs as long as it didnt interfere with school and then get work studies in college and they all did. The amount left over wasn't overbearing at the time they went to college which has been a few years ago. About 20 yrs ago. Ha. But at the time, it still was a considerable amount. I had started saving some but didnt have alot saved when the first started and with three in the same time, I did alot of praying and more scimping. We were in debt alot for a few years from it all but it was all worth it. I feel that was one gift I wanted to give my kids and I did. One went on for her masters and she is a caseworker and we have a 3rd grade school teacher and a Radiology techincian. Our son didn't complete his community college education but has kept pretty good jobs. I seem to have instilled this in my children as my oldest granddaughter is twenty and is in her third year at Va. Tech. studying medical science. And a grandson who is going on seventeen is planning to attend Va. Tech also. I am so proud of them.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Wrighty; you are right, I was one of those parents that scrimped and scrimped to pay for four children to go to college. My husband and I had normal paying jobs, we weren't even considered high middle class, but we worked 2 jobs, stayed quite in debt and insisted that the children go to state colleges that remain economically better and also have good reputations. We also insisted that at sixteen they work parttime jobs as long as it didnt interfere with school and then get work studies in college and they all did. The amount left over wasn't overbearing at the time they went to college which has been a few years ago. About 20 yrs ago. Ha. But at the time, it still was a considerable amount. I had started saving some but didnt have alot saved when the first started and with three in the same time, I did alot of praying and more scimping. We were in debt alot for a few years from it all but it was all worth it. I feel that was one gift I wanted to give my kids and I did. One went on for her masters and she is a caseworker and we have a 3rd grade school teacher and a Radiology techincian. Our son didn't complete his community college education but has kept pretty good jobs. I seem to have instilled this in my children as my oldest granddaughter is twenty and is in her third year at Va. Tech. studying medical science. And a grandson who is going on seventeen is planning to attend Va. Tech also. I am so proud of them.

Kiakar, you should be proud! You did an amazing job and it sounds like you have a great family. My parents did what they could for me and I did the rest with loans. We don't have much money now with all of my medical bills but my kids will manage with loans and we will help them in every way possible. My mother also helps in many ways. My oldest has been in college for 3 months and I think he already has a new appreciation for his parents and all we've done for him. What a miracle! I think there will be hope for my other two after all! :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Kiakar, you should be proud! You did an amazing job and it sounds like you have a great family. My parents did what they could for me and I did the rest with loans. We don't have much money now with all of my medical bills but my kids will manage with loans and we will help them in every way possible. My mother also helps in many ways. My oldest has been in college for 3 months and I think he already has a new appreciation for his parents and all we've done for him. What a miracle! I think there will be hope for my other two after all! :smileywink:

It sounds like you are doing quite an amazing job yourself, Wrighty!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:

It sounds like you are doing quite an amazing job yourself, Wrighty!

Even if it is a bit OT, I have to say how moving it is to hear of this kind of gift that is not only to your child, but ultimately to their children and the children who come in generations after that. The gift of education, in this way, is something that might go on for centuries! Certainly, you should both be proud.
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 901 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: