Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

libraryclerk wrote:
Just a short statement that I like going through BOOK PAGE and liked the review. I listened to this on a CD and was absolutely fasinated. I loved the two voices, David LeDoux and John Randolph Jones, they did a wonderful job. I enjoyed the book from the begining.

I listened to this book on CD also. I thought the two voices were very good. The transitions were smooth.
MG
New User
ltnluvleee
0 Kudos

Re: Genderly specific

"This is very interesting, and touches on something that I was wondering myself. What does everyone think about a young woman writing as an old man? Does her style appeal to one gender more than another? Do you feel that she accurately portrayed what was going on inside the head of a 90 or 93 year old man?"

Great point. I think she did a great job portraying a 90 year old man. I felt some sorrow for the 'old' Jacob. Yet, at the same time, I had this respect and affection for him. I understood his frustrations with being old and forgetting his conversations, and just MISSING his youth.
New User
ltnluvleee
0 Kudos

I wish there had been more time spent on telling the story of his parents and their roles in Jacob's life. It's like they were there and then they were dead. And, there didn't seem to be any grieving on Jacob's part -you didn't really hear too much about them after that first part of the book ..
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

ltnluvleee wrote: I wish there had been more time spent on telling the story of his parents and their roles in Jacob's life. It's like they were there and then they were dead. And, there didn't seem to be any grieving on Jacob's part -you didn't really hear too much about them after that first part of the book ..
ltnluvlee -- astute observation! I have seen young people grieve parents or siblings by just sort of blindly throwing themselves at life. It's rather like they deny death, but in the back of their minds they know it is real, so they choose to live in this frantic fog. (In fact, years ago I did some of this myself, and recently I have watched another young person acting things out similarly.)
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

ltnluvleee wrote: I wish there had been more time spent on telling the story of his parents and their roles in Jacob's life. It's like they were there and then they were dead. And, there didn't seem to be any grieving on Jacob's part -you didn't really hear too much about them after that first part of the book ..
ltnluvlee -- astute observation! I have seen young people grieve parents or siblings by just sort of blindly throwing themselves at life. It's rather like they deny death, but in the back of their minds they know it is real, so they choose to live in this frantic fog. (In fact, years ago I did some of this myself, and recently I have watched another young person acting things out similarly.)

I agree that there didn't seem to be much written on Jacob's grief. I think part of that was shock and denial and part of that was because he didn't have the luxury of grieving much for his parents. He was immediately thrown into a drastic life style change where he went from being a young college student to an adult with no parents and huge responsibilities and very little hope. This was the fork in the road that changed his life forever.
Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

I agree that there didn't seem to be much written on Jacob's grief. I think part of that was shock and denial and part of that was because he didn't have the luxury of grieving much for his parents. He was immediately thrown into a drastic life style change where he went from being a young college student to an adult with no parents and huge responsibilities and very little hope. This was the fork in the road that changed his life forever.

SPOILER - JUST IN CASE

I know what you mean about not seeming to have much grief for his parents. One thing that I didn't grasp at the very beginning of the novel was that it was set in the depression. Because of this, I don't think Jacob had much choice of things to do as far as hang around his home and try to get the business back on its feet. In doing so, I think we would have learned much more about his parents, but since he left there weren't those opportunities. We were learning about all the new people and places he was meeting and seeing. Since he was shellshocked from the news of his parents' financial position I think he just ran and dealt in his own way in doing so. I think what Wrighty says is right about blindly throwing themselves at life.
Users Online
Currently online:61 members 597 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: