Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent


KathyS wrote:
Viv, I read those letters you posted in Soul Catcher, they touched me, as this one does. This must be hard, at times, to read over and type these letters. Bringing them into your life has to make you feel a part of their lives, also. I don't know if I could do it. Brave woman, you are!
They do make you think more about age, the history behind the person, and 'being put on the shelf'!
Thanks for sharing them,

Kathy


Brave nothing lol. This was sheer luck to have gotten this work to do. Not something I will run across again I don't think. Actually, let me rephrase that, this was not coincidence or luck at all. This was a blessing of God for me to have this now and for however long it lasts, a few more months maybe, and I absolutely love it. The woman I do this for, she is just thrilled too and feels like this is finally going to get done. Its not often you happen to ask someone, "by the way, do you know anyone who happens to be able to read 1800's handwriting that may be blurred and will only be copies and be able to understand the language of the time, who has time to go through these and type them up on the computer for me?" lolol God does some marvelous things and one was to bring us together, through someone who actually did know I do that. :smileywink:

p.s. She is feeling so good about these, she said, you know I do have some letters that are from the 1700s that you can barely make out, maybe if you want, we can try those after all of these. LOL , you bet! The hardest part of doing these besides the handwriting of some, eww, is that if they were on colored paper, the copies we have are very dark and hard to read too, the other thing is, back in the early 1800s, when they didnt have a lot of paper to write on, after they filled one page, they would just turn it sideways and keep going LOL, so you have words overlapping words in a crisscross pattern. Some of the language things tho, are like in writing, if they want to say, I just got your letter dated 3rd of July, they will say, I am just in receipt of your letter 3rd July inst. And if you have never seen the "inst" before, on some letters you may think it looks like something else. A cool one too is one of the early ways to close a letter, where we might say, yours truly, they would say "believe me" . Just - believe me, John. Interesting huh?

But yes, sometimes I have to walk away from it for awhile with the sad ones and come back later. It is incredible that one family has kept actual letters and documents back for 200 years! Hey, didn't I say if you want your kids to know about you write it? These are great and so personal sometimes you think you shouldnt be reading them, tho they are long since dead, over a hundred years. One was a love letter from a rather stern man, but oh his letters, my my, and he loved his wife so dearly. He wrote on this letter, oh my beloved, dearest Julia, I tell you these things as I can not be there with you to say them in private as I should, but I love you with all of me and I trust you that no one else will read these letters. I read that and thought, whoops! lol, but I think where he is now he would say, ahh, you see, I did love her very much even if the world saw me as no more than a stern fellow :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent

Viv, for whatever the reason is you have undertaken this job, it sounds like you have been both a blessing to that other person, as well as yourself.... and who knows, maybe even to the guy who didn't want his letters read! LOL

Stay with it,
Kathy
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent

HELLOOOOO everyone! I am way behind and may have to just pick up from today. As I said, I live on Oklahoma and we got hit so terribly hard with that ice storm last saturday night. I have been without power, heat, water, etc... since then, 5 1/2 days and its been down in the 20s the last couple of nights. I am doing ok, was very blessed over many who lost so much. The most I lost was a lot of freezer and refrigerator food. I just two hours ago got power back and just wanted to check in. I am exhausted and in really bad need of a bath LOL! Someone want to carry some water over here for this elephant?? LOL :smileywink: Hope every one else is well. This has been a week I wont forget.

And btw wrighty? I did scan the posts I have missed and saw yours about the male nurse and it cracked me up! The answer is NO, :smileysad: never did see him again, got an old woman that I swear worked as the head mean rank nurse from a woman's prison that came at you snapping on gloves each day saying "did you have a bowel movement or not, cause if not, I am going in!" :smileysurprised: Ask me how glad I was to get out of there and how much broccoli I asked for while i was there!!!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent

Welcome Viv. We had a snow storm last night in the Boston area, but nothing like what you had.
IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent

Viv, glad you are back safe and 'sound'....I had a feeling, after watching the news...and your voice wasn't coming across these pages, something wasn't right. That must have been horrible, for you, and everyone involved in that ice storm. How did you keep from freezing? I bet you won't forget it!....and sorry about all the loss of food, that's the pits, and speaking of pits....:smileytongue: never mind, at least now you can take a shower! Phew! :smileyhappy:

K.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent



vivico1 wrote:
HELLOOOOO everyone! I am way behind and may have to just pick up from today. As I said, I live on Oklahoma and we got hit so terribly hard with that ice storm last saturday night. I have been without power, heat, water, etc... since then, 5 1/2 days and its been down in the 20s the last couple of nights. I am doing ok, was very blessed over many who lost so much. The most I lost was a lot of freezer and refrigerator food. I just two hours ago got power back and just wanted to check in. I am exhausted and in really bad need of a bath LOL! Someone want to carry some water over here for this elephant?? LOL :smileywink: Hope every one else is well. This has been a week I wont forget.

And btw wrighty? I did scan the posts I have missed and saw yours about the male nurse and it cracked me up! The answer is NO, :smileysad: never did see him again, got an old woman that I swear worked as the head mean rank nurse from a woman's prison that came at you snapping on gloves each day saying "did you have a bowel movement or not, cause if not, I am going in!" :smileysurprised: Ask me how glad I was to get out of there and how much broccoli I asked for while i was there!!!




Hey, so glad you are back. I missed ya alittle!
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent

Glad you're back, safe and sound!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent


kiakar wrote:


vivico1 wrote:
HELLOOOOO everyone! I am way behind and may have to just pick up from today. As I said, I live on Oklahoma and we got hit so terribly hard with that ice storm last saturday night. I have been without power, heat, water, etc... since then, 5 1/2 days and its been down in the 20s the last couple of nights. I am doing ok, was very blessed over many who lost so much. The most I lost was a lot of freezer and refrigerator food. I just two hours ago got power back and just wanted to check in. I am exhausted and in really bad need of a bath LOL! Someone want to carry some water over here for this elephant?? LOL :smileywink: Hope every one else is well. This has been a week I wont forget.

And btw wrighty? I did scan the posts I have missed and saw yours about the male nurse and it cracked me up! The answer is NO, :smileysad: never did see him again, got an old woman that I swear worked as the head mean rank nurse from a woman's prison that came at you snapping on gloves each day saying "did you have a bowel movement or not, cause if not, I am going in!" :smileysurprised: Ask me how glad I was to get out of there and how much broccoli I asked for while i was there!!!




Hey, so glad you are back. I missed ya alittle!



Yeah, welcome back Viv! It's about time! :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent


Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:


vivico1 wrote:
HELLOOOOO everyone! I am way behind and may have to just pick up from today. As I said, I live on Oklahoma and we got hit so terribly hard with that ice storm last saturday night. I have been without power, heat, water, etc... since then, 5 1/2 days and its been down in the 20s the last couple of nights. I am doing ok, was very blessed over many who lost so much. The most I lost was a lot of freezer and refrigerator food. I just two hours ago got power back and just wanted to check in. I am exhausted and in really bad need of a bath LOL! Someone want to carry some water over here for this elephant?? LOL :smileywink: Hope every one else is well. This has been a week I wont forget.

And btw wrighty? I did scan the posts I have missed and saw yours about the male nurse and it cracked me up! The answer is NO, :smileysad: never did see him again, got an old woman that I swear worked as the head mean rank nurse from a woman's prison that came at you snapping on gloves each day saying "did you have a bowel movement or not, cause if not, I am going in!" :smileysurprised: Ask me how glad I was to get out of there and how much broccoli I asked for while i was there!!!




Hey, so glad you are back. I missed ya alittle!



Yeah, welcome back Viv! It's about time! :smileywink:


Well I didn't create the ice storm ya know LOL :smileywink: Hey wrighty, did you ever work as a nurse in a orthopedic hospital? hmmm LOL :smileysurprised: and kiakar, only missed me, just alittle? awww :smileysad:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent


vivico1 wrote:
Well I didn't create the ice storm ya know LOL :smileywink: Hey wrighty, did you ever work as a nurse in a orthopedic hospital? hmmm LOL :smileysurprised: and kiakar, only missed me, just alittle? awww :smileysad:



So which one do I remind you of, and be careful how you answer that! Gee, and to think I missed you... :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Gab Tent


Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Well I didn't create the ice storm ya know LOL :smileywink: Hey wrighty, did you ever work as a nurse in a orthopedic hospital? hmmm LOL :smileysurprised: and kiakar, only missed me, just alittle? awww :smileysad:



So which one do I remind you of, and be careful how you answer that! Gee, and to think I missed you... :smileywink:


Well lol, um, considering someone thinks your male and some of us think u are female lol, that could be tough to answer, but if you pick on me, its the woman one I told you about! lol too funny :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 606 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: