Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

tmae wrote:
Hello. I am joining this book discussion late; hopefully not too late. I just bought the book today and will begin reading it tonight. Hope to catch up with y'all. This is my first book club and I am looking forward to it as I have read everyone's discussion and responses and it seems like a lively group.

Thanks...

hi tmae, welcome :smileyhappy:
You aren't too late, we got the rest of the month, read, enjoy and we will be watching for your posts :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Kellyha20
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am an avid reader....thank god for the membership card it really has paid for itself about 3 times over so far...LOL.
We read this book in the book club that I belong to at work. I absolutley love the book. Probably not one I would have picked up on my own but I am glad that someone in our club selected the book. I could not put it down. I love the fictional reality of the book. All in all it was a great read and I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions and views of the book.

Kelly
New User
libraryclerk
0 Kudos

I'm late as well, but have already read the book. I am a library clerk at a small library (which is part of 15 in a 'system')in Oklahoma. I have been here for almost 13 years now and I love it. I coordinate book discussions for the library. Our group just decided on a name, "Pageturners". We have one book discussion per month, even through the summer. We have been doing a series about Indians in fiction; Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, Okla Hannali by R. A. Lafferty, Mean Spirit by Linda Hogan, House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momady, and ending with Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsbury. Our group ranges in age from 40's and up to 80's. Some of these books have been a challenge but fun. We have scholars from universities (colleges) to give us background on the authors and discussion questions. There have been a few times I have done that all by myself which was fun. Well enough about me. I'll check out the discussion and maybe throw in a comment of two. I have not done this sort of thing before so if I blunder let me know...
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

libraryclerk wrote:
I'm late as well, but have already read the book. I am a library clerk at a small library (which is part of 15 in a 'system')in Oklahoma. I have been here for almost 13 years now and I love it. I coordinate book discussions for the library. Our group just decided on a name, "Pageturners". We have one book discussion per month, even through the summer. We have been doing a series about Indians in fiction; Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, Okla Hannali by R. A. Lafferty, Mean Spirit by Linda Hogan, House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momady, and ending with Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsbury. Our group ranges in age from 40's and up to 80's. Some of these books have been a challenge but fun. We have scholars from universities (colleges) to give us background on the authors and discussion questions. There have been a few times I have done that all by myself which was fun. Well enough about me. I'll check out the discussion and maybe throw in a comment of two. I have not done this sort of thing before so if I blunder let me know...

Jump right in, you too Kelly! We're a pretty friendly bunch. There isn't much you can do wrong here. The main thing is to be respectful of others and have fun. If we can be of any help figuring out the system just let us know what you need. Everyone has always been good to me. Welcome aboard! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
LibraryBoom1218
0 Kudos

hi im joining this dicussion a little late but i wanted to say i loved this book and i didnt expect to.

did anyone read anything else by her?
Contributor
Tonya
0 Kudos

I am not sure what to say. I read this book awhile ago! It was a gift from someone "very" special. I won't say any more!! I am new to the Barnes and Noble board as well. I used to work in a store though. I am not sure how much I can add to the discussion because my love of reading is great but I am afraid my depth may not be as deep as others it seems after reading a lot of the comments!

Tonya
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Tonya wrote:
I am not sure what to say. I read this book awhile ago! It was a gift from someone "very" special. I won't say any more!! I am new to the Barnes and Noble board as well. I used to work in a store though. I am not sure how much I can add to the discussion because my love of reading is great but I am afraid my depth may not be as deep as others it seems after reading a lot of the comments!

Tonya

Tonya,
Jump in anywhere. We aren't as deep as we may appear lol :smileywink:. And you don't have to follow our comments, you can start some of your own if there is something you would like to talk about that you dont see. Just have fun, thats the main thing. And welcome.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

LibraryBoom1218 wrote:

I have read her other two books: "Riding Lessons" and "Flying Changes". As the names (may) imply, they are both situated around horses and a corner of the equestrian world. This was perfect for me because I was one of those girls who grew up crazy for horses. (You know the ones, constantly drawing them and talking about them. I was fortunate enough to have some experience actually riding and owning one when I was much younger.) Just as in WFE, the crux of their storylines is about the personal development of her character(s) in the face of pressing, sometimes catastrophic, circumstances as she(they) circumnavigate through their lives. Many posters have commented about having delayed reading WFE because of the circus setting. The same is true of her first two books; even if you weren't a "horse nut", I would not let that deter you from reading them. I found them to be page-turners, and actually reread both recently. There is something about the way that she develops her characters that makes them "old friends" and worth revisiting.
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

How great that we have some late comers! Thanks for joining us!

And yes, one of the best jobs on the planet is to put together book groups in libraries.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

LibraryBoom1218 wrote:

I have read her other two books: "Riding Lessons" and "Flying Changes". As the names (may) imply, they are both situated around horses and a corner of the equestrian world. This was perfect for me because I was one of those girls who grew up crazy for horses. (You know the ones, constantly drawing them and talking about them. I was fortunate enough to have some experience actually riding and owning one when I was much younger.) Just as in WFE, the crux of their storylines is about the personal development of her character(s) in the face of pressing, sometimes catastrophic, circumstances as she(they) circumnavigate through their lives. Many posters have commented about having delayed reading WFE because of the circus setting. The same is true of her first two books; even if you weren't a "horse nut", I would not let that deter you from reading them. I found them to be page-turners, and actually reread both recently. There is something about the way that she develops her characters that makes them "old friends" and worth revisiting.

That's good to know because I haven't heard anything about her other books. I'll have to give them a try because I really liked this one.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

ELee, thanks so much for your input.
I totally enjoyed Sara's writing, and would like to read her other novels.
I've never owned a horse, but I've always loved them.
I now added "two more" books to the stack!

Kathy S.
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 266 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: