Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Marlena

Marlena is Jacob's one true love, and that makes this story both very romantic and very unusual. These are characters who truly seem to be made for each other.

What do you make of her? What do you imagine she was like as an old woman?

I loved how much information I got about her character by Gruen's descriptions of her circus acts with the animals--deft and graceful, and a kind of magical reciprocity with her horses and with Rosie.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Marlena

In her older years I picture Marlena as a kind, graceful woman who became a tiny bit plump in all the right places. With all of those children and grandchildren she needed a good lap for them to cuddle on. I think she adored her family and her animals and remained fiercely protective of all of them. She also appreciated the second chance she got at a happy life and she always remembered to laugh, a lot. :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
In her older years I picture Marlena as a kind, graceful woman who became a tiny bit plump in all the right places. With all of those children and grandchildren she needed a good lap for them to cuddle on. I think she adored her family and her animals and remained fiercely protective of all of them. She also appreciated the second chance she got at a happy life and she always remembered to laugh, a lot. :smileyhappy:

I picture her to look as Wrighty wrote: Kind,graceful woman and I would add white hair that she put up on her head. Not quite as dramatic as Mrs. Santa and not as plump. But definitely kind, sweet and very patient with Jacob and the children and grandchildren. For what a life she had, I am sure she knew patience like her first name.She had learned endurance which I am sure she talk her children and grandchildren.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I picture her to look as Wrighty wrote: Kind,graceful woman and I would add white hair that she put up on her head. Not quite as dramatic as Mrs. Santa and not as plump. But definitely kind, sweet and very patient with Jacob and the children and grandchildren. For what a life she had, I am sure she knew patience like her first name.She had learned endurance which I am sure she talk her children and grandchildren.

Ok, I have read 4 books since finishing this one lol. So how did she die! And at what age???
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Ok, I have read 4 books since finishing this one lol. So how did she die! And at what age???

It doesnt say does it? I do not have the book anymore either! I gathered she died after she had raised their children and it hadnt been a really long long time. But maybe I have forgotten.
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Marlena died after having been with Jacob for sixty one years. She was in her early twenties when they met, so she must have been near or in her eighties.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:
Marlena died after having been with Jacob for sixty one years. She was in her early twenties when they met, so she must have been near or in her eighties.

Thank you ELee, did it give any details? How she died, how Jacob handled it? It seems it should have been a bigger part of this, so that we would remember, considering this was a three way love story, Jacob, Marlena and Rosie. I know more about Rosie's end and how he felt than with Marlena lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

did it give any details? How she died, how Jacob handled it?

"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse.

Metastatic, the doctor said. A matter of weeks or months. But my darling was as frail as a bird. She died nine days later. After sixty-one years together, she simply clutched my hand and exhaled."
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

"Age is a terrible thief. Just when you're getting the hang of life, it knocks your legs out from under you and stoops your back. It makes you ache and muddies your head and silently spreads cancer throughout your spouse.

Metastatic, the doctor said. A matter of weeks or months. But my darling was as frail as a bird. She died nine days later. After sixty-one years together, she simply clutched my hand and exhaled."

Just a few short sentences but it says so much.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

ELee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Just a few short sentences but it says so much.

WOW I cant believe I don't remember that! Maybe I didnt read it. Pages stuck together maybe? lol, cause I was thinking about it all throughout the book, what happened to her. Thanks again, I may have to do some re reading of the last part of the book.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online:12 members 391 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: