Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Re: Old and Young Jacobs -- possibly spoiler

vivico1 wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

It never occurred to me to not believe Jacob's stories. For my own sake I'm choosing to continue to believe them, but I do acknowledge that Jacob did seem to be failing somewhat in his other memories as you state. I am to much of a happy ending kind of gal to believe that he imagined everything.

Regarding anothe post about why Jacob did not tell about his being in the circus; I think maybe he would have told the old ladies if the other man didn't beat him to the punch. He didn't have a chance to say anything about the circus before the new guy started spouting his lies. Maybe Jacob tells us the story rather than the old ladies because the new guy stold his thunder. It would have been a perfect way to make a great impression on the old ladies, but he didn't get the chance! If he would have said, this guys lying, but I was really involved in the circus, it would have made him just look like an idiot in front of all his friends at "his" table.

I got to disagree. I dont think it would have made him look like an idiot to tell them. He actually was in the circus, he could have debunked McGinty in short order and yes had women hanging around him even more, but thats not Jacob's nature. He made a promise to keep a secret and he is a man, as IBIS points out on another thread, of strong integrity, and even tho no one would be hurt now by telling the secret, he will keep his word. He does to the point of worrying if he said too much when he was half sleeping that one time and Rosemary thought he called her Rosie, he worried that something else might slip out if he were not careful. Its not Jacob's style to do this to impress the ladies, and break a promise. If he wanted to impress the ladies by his circus days, he could have done that long before McGinty came. This is about his very nature, not to tell, even at the cost of his social order.

Yes, he could have told the ladies long ago, but now the circus being in town brings up a perfect opportunity. I agree he does possess strong integrity, but I also sensed in the lunchroom scene a bit of competitiveness and definite jealousy. Maybe he wouldn't have said anything and maybe he's just upset that McGinty is lying, but I thought there was a little more to it when I read it.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

It never occurred to me to not believe Jacob's stories. For my own sake I'm choosing to continue to believe them, but I do acknowledge that Jacob did seem to be failing somewhat in his other memories as you state. I am to much of a happy ending kind of gal to believe that he imagined everything.

Regarding anothe post about why Jacob did not tell about his being in the circus; I think maybe he would have told the old ladies if the other man didn't beat him to the punch. He didn't have a chance to say anything about the circus before the new guy started spouting his lies. Maybe Jacob tells us the story rather than the old ladies because the new guy stold his thunder. It would have been a perfect way to make a great impression on the old ladies, but he didn't get the chance! If he would have said, this guys lying, but I was really involved in the circus, it would have made him just look like an idiot in front of all his friends at "his" table.

I got to disagree. I dont think it would have made him look like an idiot to tell them. He actually was in the circus, he could have debunked McGinty in short order and yes had women hanging around him even more, but thats not Jacob's nature. He made a promise to keep a secret and he is a man, as IBIS points out on another thread, of strong integrity, and even tho no one would be hurt now by telling the secret, he will keep his word. He does to the point of worrying if he said too much when he was half sleeping that one time and Rosemary thought he called her Rosie, he worried that something else might slip out if he were not careful. Its not Jacob's style to do this to impress the ladies, and break a promise. If he wanted to impress the ladies by his circus days, he could have done that long before McGinty came. This is about his very nature, not to tell, even at the cost of his social order.

Yes, he could have told the ladies long ago, but now the circus being in town brings up a perfect opportunity. I agree he does possess strong integrity, but I also sensed in the lunchroom scene a bit of competitiveness and definite jealousy. Maybe he wouldn't have said anything and maybe he's just upset that McGinty is lying, but I thought there was a little more to it when I read it.

Oh yes, I do agree, you got two old roosters, ready for a cockfight lol, and yes he is jealous, but I am just saying, he wont break his integrity of that secret to sooth his jealousy, thats what I meant about keeping it even at the cost of his social order. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

Oh yes, I do agree, you got two old roosters, ready for a cockfight lol, and yes he is jealous, but I am just saying, he wont break his integrity of that secret to sooth his jealousy, thats what I meant about keeping it even at the cost of his social order. :smileywink:

Yes,Popper and Viv: He wanted the crown but he wouldn't betray the means to it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote: Yes, Popper and Viv: He wanted the crown but he wouldn't betray the means to it.
A great line, Kiakar!
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Old and Young Jacobs

[ Edited ]
SPOILER
We may not be aware of it, but there are many stories in circus and zoo history of rogue elephants who killed their abusive trainers. Executing rogue elephants was a law, whch today is still in the books, that was enforced and taken very seriously.

If anyone had the least suspicion about Rosie, she would automatically have been laid down. And with Rosie in the zoo under Jacob's care, he dared not reveal her secret to the zoo authorities. Or even to Marlena, and certainly not to the children.

IBIS

Message Edited by IBIS on 12-09-2007 06:28 PM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

Much as I hate to say this - he lived too long. His five children are already grandparents themselves, with their own sets of health issues and family problems... Jacob makes a very relevant and astute observation about his own family that I think is generally applicable today.

"I hate this bizarre policy of protective exclusion, because it effectively writes me off the page. If I don't know what's going on in their lives, how am I supposed to insert myself in the conversation?"

Of course if they have a true debility that warrants their exclusion, that's another matter... And conversely, is Jacob refusing to communicate with them because they leave him out of their lives and experiences? (There's that stubborn streak again.) We don't know enough about his relationship with his children, but (and this is purely conjecture) is it possible that he laid the first few bricks in this wall?

We all seem to have sympathy for Jacob and what he is going through in his old age. But as I was reading all of the comments about how neglected he felt I remembered that he is the one telling his story. We only get his perspective. ELee brought up some good points. We don't know enough about his relationship with his children and they are grandparents themselves. They may be more attentive than he admits or remembers. The staff and other residents may be as well. He is a lonely, grumpy man who is often forgetful. He doesn't share much about himself or make much of an effort to get acquainted with others. He is fussy, stubborn and hard to take care of for the nurses. Jacob has some good reasons for his feelings but he doesn't cope with them well. Since he is so private, other people don't know why he acts the way he does and don't really know how to treat him. He pushes away the very attention he desires. He is so unsure of his memory lapses and so protective of his personal life and keeping his secret that he usually closes up and shuts down. Maybe he did lay "the first few bricks in this wall" or at least some of them. Maybe there isn't as much of a wall as he describes.

There is an interesting passages regarding this on 218-19. This is a portion of it.
(This is after he has rambled about Rosie to Rosemary and doesn't remember doing it.)
What in God's name did I say?
I close my eyes and reach for the far corners of my mind. They're no longer clearly defined. My brain is like a universe whose gases get thinner and thinner at the edges. But it doesn't dissolve into nothingness. I can sense something out there, just beyond my grasp, hovering, waiting - and God help me if I'm not skidding toward it again, mouth open wide.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

br>
There is an interesting passages regarding this on 218-19. This is a portion of it.
(This is after he has rambled about Rosie to Rosemary and doesn't remember doing it.)
What in God's name did I say?
I close my eyes and reach for the far corners of my mind. They're no longer clearly defined. My brain is like a universe whose gases get thinner and thinner at the edges. But it doesn't dissolve into nothingness. I can sense something out there, just beyond my grasp, hovering, waiting - and God help me if I'm not skidding toward it again, mouth open wide.

Hey Wrighty,
That's a powerful quote and yet, frightening too. Oh, to be on the edge and to realize you're losing your grasp on the slide that has no way off but down.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

"We don't know enough about his relationship with his children and they are grandparents themselves. They may be more attentive than he admits or remembers. The staff and other residents may be as well. He is a lonely, grumpy man who is often forgetful. He doesn't share much about himself or make much of an effort to get acquainted with others. He is fussy, stubborn and hard to take care of for the nurses. Jacob has some good reasons for his feelings but he doesn't cope with them well. Since he is so private, other people don't know why he acts the way he does and don't really know how to treat him. He pushes away the very attention he desires. He is so unsure of his memory lapses and so protective of his personal life and keeping his secret that he usually closes up and shuts down."

I like your description of Jacob. I have a tendency to be very sympathetic of narrating characters, and you have provided an accurate description of him outside of the subjectivity of the story, one that brings more dimension to a reader's perception.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:
I like your description of Jacob. I have a tendency to be very sympathetic of narrating characters, and you have provided an accurate description of him outside of the subjectivity of the story, one that brings more dimension to a reader's perception.

I am usually sympathetic also and I am still with Jacob. It wasn't until we started discussing him that I really began to think about his own actions and responsibilities.
Contributor
noberly
0 Kudos

I could not agree with you more.
Contributor
Kellyha20
0 Kudos

noberly wrote:
This was one of the pieces that I found the most interesting. On the one hand, Jacob is young and active. On the other, he is exhibiting many of the signs of Alzhiemer's. I am a firm believer that Alzhiemer's patients know, they just cannot express the way they would like to. This, while not a true story, illustrates this. The guy that said he gave water to the elephants that Jacob knew he did not. Yet, Jacob could not express WHY he knew he could not have done that. The sadness of Jacob's family not showing up when he thought they were suppose to. etc.

noberly,

You bring up a good point in regards to Alzheimers disease. Even though he has trouble remembering mopst aspects of his younger life and that of his present life he has no problems holding on to his memories of the circus. After watching a grandmother suffer through the horrible disease and speaking to the nursing staff and hospice that took care of her until her last days have told me that most alzheimers patients will continue to lose their memory as the disease progresses. However they tend to hold on to ONE event or person and they will remember almost everything about that event or person. It is amazing to see this. It seems to me like the Old Jacob, was able to hang on to the Circus memories while the disease progressed.

On another note, personally I love the old Jacob, he was a firecracker, so to speak. I loved the way that Sara wrote the character.

Kelly
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Kellyha20 wrote:

noberly wrote:
This was one of the pieces that I found the most interesting. On the one hand, Jacob is young and active. On the other, he is exhibiting many of the signs of Alzhiemer's. I am a firm believer that Alzhiemer's patients know, they just cannot express the way they would like to. This, while not a true story, illustrates this. The guy that said he gave water to the elephants that Jacob knew he did not. Yet, Jacob could not express WHY he knew he could not have done that. The sadness of Jacob's family not showing up when he thought they were suppose to. etc.

noberly,

You bring up a good point in regards to Alzheimers disease. Even though he has trouble remembering mopst aspects of his younger life and that of his present life he has no problems holding on to his memories of the circus. After watching a grandmother suffer through the horrible disease and speaking to the nursing staff and hospice that took care of her until her last days have told me that most alzheimers patients will continue to lose their memory as the disease progresses. However they tend to hold on to ONE event or person and they will remember almost everything about that event or person. It is amazing to see this. It seems to me like the Old Jacob, was able to hang on to the Circus memories while the disease progressed.

On another note, personally I love the old Jacob, he was a firecracker, so to speak. I loved the way that Sara wrote the character.

Kelly

The alzheimer perspective is very intriging and Jacob may in fact be in the early stages, but by pg 103 (where I am) there is no mention of this, at this point we can only assume. But consider this, I looked back in the book to determine when Jacob started thinking about the circus. First, he compared his lameness to "Poor old Camel" which is conceivable,he's thinking about an old friend. Secondly, it is after he sees "an enormous canvas tent, thickly striped in white and magenta with an unmistakable peaked top" his ticker lurches. Thirdly, since the circus is in town, there is much circus talk among the residents and this could trigger his memory into thinking about his youthful days spent with the circus. All of his senses are peaked with talk of posters, sawdust, candy apples and then he becomes aggitated as it appears boastful Joseph is moving in on his ladyfriend.
So although alzheimer's may be an underlying theme of WFE I'm not quite ready to accept that Jacob has it. Of course remember, I'm only on pg 103 - I'm open to your thoughts.
Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
LyndaSue -- There has been a fair amount of discussion on these boards on whether Jacob has Alzheimer's. The consensus seems to be that he may not (probably does not?), but that he does have some type of memory loss. Having been close to two very different cases of Alzheimer's, I say that I could not "diagnose" from the information given in the story. Certainly, his symptoms are very similar to those I have seen associated with early stage Alzheimer's. But, there are many sources of memory loss or impairment associated with aging, and Sara Gruen certainly does not make that disease, with its various manifestations and progression, a theme of this novel.

Carmenere_lady wrote: The alzheimer perspective is very intriging and Jacob may in fact be in the early stages, but by pg 103 (where I am) there is no mention of this, at this point we can only assume. But consider this, I looked back in the book to determine when Jacob started thinking about the circus. First, he compared his lameness to "Poor old Camel" which is conceivable,he's thinking about an old friend. Secondly, it is after he sees "an enormous canvas tent, thickly striped in white and magenta with an unmistakable peaked top" his ticker lurches. Thirdly, since the circus is in town, there is much circus talk among the residents and this could trigger his memory into thinking about his youthful days spent with the circus. All of his senses are peaked with talk of posters, sawdust, candy apples and then he becomes aggitated as it appears boastful Joseph is moving in on his ladyfriend.
So although alzheimer's may be an underlying theme of WFE I'm not quite ready to accept that Jacob has it. Of course remember, I'm only on pg 103 - I'm open to your thoughts.

Message Edited by Peppermill on 12-19-2007 11:40 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
The alzheimer perspective is very intriging and Jacob may in fact be in the early stages, but by pg 103 (where I am) there is no mention of this, at this point we can only assume. But consider this, I looked back in the book to determine when Jacob started thinking about the circus. First, he compared his lameness to "Poor old Camel" which is conceivable,he's thinking about an old friend. Secondly, it is after he sees "an enormous canvas tent, thickly striped in white and magenta with an unmistakable peaked top" his ticker lurches. Thirdly, since the circus is in town, there is much circus talk among the residents and this could trigger his memory into thinking about his youthful days spent with the circus. All of his senses are peaked with talk of posters, sawdust, candy apples and then he becomes aggitated as it appears boastful Joseph is moving in on his ladyfriend.

You have brought up a good point that I don't think anyone else has mentioned before. Was Jacob only thinking about the circus so much because they had one nearby? Of course it was an important part of his life but it was also many years ago and for a relatively short time in a long life. Maybe he didn't normally think about it much anymore. Is it possible that the new circus reminded him of it that week so only now it was on his mind constantly?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

Carmenere_lady wrote:

You have brought up a good point that I don't think anyone else has mentioned before. Was Jacob only thinking about the circus so much because they had one nearby? Of course it was an important part of his life but it was also many years ago and for a relatively short time in a long life. Maybe he didn't normally think about it much anymore. Is it possible that the new circus reminded him of it that week so only now it was on his mind constantly?

I have a feeling Jacob thought about the circus often, not all the time but often.That was his time of life that seems to have meant so much to him. I think thats why he has such detail about it too. As for the Alzheimer's thing, I am one of the ones who doesnt think he has it. I don't even think it is a main theme of this book. I do think however that old age is. Jacob is an old man, he's at least 90 for heavens sake lol and I think we are all allowed a little forgetfulness by then but the only real forgetfulness I remember is who is who in his now large family and thats understandable. I have 4 grand nieces that if I am lucky , I see them at christmas and then I dont see them any other time of the year. They are all about the same age and for the life of me, I always get two of them mixed up and couldnt tell ya one of thems name because they were adopted just about 6 years ago, and so thats only 6 times I have seen them. Jacob even says since he sees different ones all the time, how is he suppose to remember who is who. His mind is sharp, his thoughts unscrambled and detailed but he is old. THAT is what I think is the point of the book, not that this is just a memory or part of one in an old man who has Alzheimers because then it can all become just a fantasy of his that we can all ignore because it has no meaning based in reality. I think what Sara wants to hit us with, is the fact that not all old people are "off their rocker" or just "in and out of it", she wants us to know that we are ignoring the richness of the elderly and their lifes and that we need to stop and listen and not just shove them away and talk about them not to them till they stop trying to talk to us. He forgets very little actually. And if he loses track of time, wouldnt you if you were stuck in the same building day in and day out and all you had to tell you the day of the week is what is being served that day? Forget trying to keep up with years.

This wasnt about thinking about our old who are afflicted with a disease, and I dont mean anything bad by that or that we shouldnt. I mean this is just trying to get us to look at our elderly period and that we all grow old, but is old Jacob treated the way young Jacob was? Not in the least. When he was young, he was strong and the women seemed to like him and the men did too or hated him. He was seen as a threat even to some. And remember, as an old man, it embarrassed him that sometimes when the nurses would be helping him to dress or bath, he would get, well something would stand at attention, lol, but he said they just tried to look away because even in this, they didnt see him as a threat, like he said, even if they would probably kill him if they tried to do anything with him about it lol. But he still had feelings, he was still a man. But the thing he knew too was...he was an old man, and no one looks at the old the same way when their bodies start to wear out. Its like sometimes we are very bad about associating old age, tired bodies with worn out minds, and his wasnt. He had so much there and he really wanted and needed someone to just engage him as a man, not an OLD man. Rosemary and the Circus manager did, thats why he needed them both.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Vivico1 wrote{ed.}: "I think what Sara wants ... us to know that we are ignoring the richness of the elderly and their lives and that we need to stop and listen and not just shove them away and talk about them not to them till they stop trying to talk to us."

I very much agree that is far more the theme and message of this novel, rather than an exploration of aging.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I also do not think that Jacob's exhibiting symptoms of Alzheimers. He's already in his 90s, and diagnostically speaking, Alzheimers would have exhibited its severe and definite symptoms already by this age.

I agree that the theme of the novel is the richness of the memories of Jacob's well-lived life... and not the debilitating symptoms of dementia or Alzheimers.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:
br>So although alzheimer's may be an underlying theme of WFE I'm not quite ready to accept that Jacob has it. Of course remember, I'm only on pg 103 - I'm open to your thoughts.

It was not until I read your posts did I realize that I typed in -theme- in this sentence. Bad choice. Underlying message, thought, idea, any of those may have worked better. I'm only in my mid 40's and I'm as forgetful as they come, so Jacob's forgetfulness does not surprise me at all. lol -

As it seems that many of you are done reading this book, I am not yet aware if his assumed condition becomes a fact by the end of the story. Many posts seem to lean towards this outcome.

But, I think this is just the thought of the week for Jacob. Perhaps the following week he will be served meatloaf that tastes just like the kind his mother made and he will start thinking about his mom, her meals, what she used to wear, how she used to smell, smile etc etc etc. What else has he got to do but remember?! Hey, maybe his "stream" of conciousness is the water that sustains this old elephant.
Lynda

The Uncommon Reader

"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

Voltaire
Users Online
Currently online:66 members 519 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: