Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Any unusual fans?

Every now and then I hear of someone who is a Harry Potter fan that I would never expect to like these books. (My brother-in-law in the military is one good example!) I don't know why it surprises me because this series appeals to so many people. Does anyone know of someone who is not the "typical" fan of this type of book?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Any unusual fans?

The first person to tell me about the Harry Potter books (and highly recommend them) was a 60 year old male retired Colonel from the US Army... tell your brother-in-law he's not the only fan from the military!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

From what the people on the Waiting fot Harry boards have let on about themselves I don't even know what I would consider "usual!" All ages, occupations, beliefs and both sexes seem to be represented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------br>

Wrighty wrote:
Every now and then I hear of someone who is a Harry Potter fan that I would never expect to like these books. (My brother-in-law in the military is one good example!) I don't know why it surprises me because this series appeals to so many people. Does anyone know of someone who is not the "typical" fan of this type of book?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Is it superficial or conceited to say myself??? This is what I'm told though, so I hope not. I'm a just turned 24 year old, basketball playing, live in the "hood", only child, female, who when I tell people I'm a fanatic say "you can't be serious?" To which I usually answer, "of course I'm not Sirius, Sirius is dead" and then they know I'm serious. Everyone at my job thinks I'm crazy, and I'm sure if I mentioned it on my block I would become a target of many a joke...

But my favorite moment was when my ex said, "you rock basketball shorts and jordans, you can beat me in Madden 2007, you know the periodic table of elements to number 52 and can explain Rocket Science, when the heck did you find time for Harry Potter?" I laughed for days about that, and he was joking about the Rocket science by the way...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
HPRocksMySocks
0 Kudos

My uncle loves Harry Potter, but he's not unusual for liking the books, he's just really unusual (He went to mime school, random much?)!!! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

I suppose I might count as an "unusual" fan, seeing as would number myself among the demographic which, to our shame, seems to be doing its best to demonize the series as evil and a promoter of the occult. I am AT LEAST as fanatical a Christian as I am a Harry Potter fan, but I have never seen any particular contradiction between being a person of faith and a fan of Harry.
Frequent Contributor
Stacy21
0 Kudos

I completely agree, Harry Potter is about good triumphing over evil, and I don't understand how a Christian could dislike that. Sure witchcraft can be scary, but not in the HP context. That's like being fearful of Glenda the good witch from Wizard of Oz!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

They don't like her either because she's a witch, lol :smileyhappy:
New User
phatrose
0 Kudos

Hey Proper-T,

Here's some support in my own antiquated way -
"More Power to You"!

Phatrose
New User
phatrose
0 Kudos

StoryMing,

I am also passionate about my Christian beliefs and Harry Potter. I see a lot of good in the stories and I will continue to read them and recommend them. If that makes us unusual readers, GREAT!!!!!!
I am over 45 and a professor at a major research University in the South.
New User
CJ2191
0 Kudos

My dad's what you might call an 'unusual fan.' He's in his early-30's, a retired marine, well-trained in combat and the macho ways of tobacco and alcohol, with 2 kids and a wife. He's also the former owner to 2 bars in Dallas, but when he found out how in love with the Harry Potter books I was, he borrowed all of my HP books and read them all so he could relate to me more. Now, whenever a movie or a book comes out he is more excited then me to get the book and read it. Talk about irony!!
New User
Bookishgal
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

I've been told that I am an unusual fan. I'm a forty-nine year old mom of two grown up sons, a seven year old grandson and a grandaughter on the way! I've loved Harry from day one. I'm an avid reader of all genres and I love, love, love, the classics................and mark my words, Harry Potter is destined to become a classic! I haven't read a book that "carried me away to another world" in the magnificent way JK Rowling writes, since I was a child and read A Wrinkle in Time. I tried to share my Potter love with my own sons but they didn't buy it. But my grandson adores Harry. I even read most of the series to my own mother before she passed away in October after a long painful illness. I'd visit her on Sunday afternoons and she would say "lets hear what Mr. Potter is up to today." And I would pull out our copy and continue the adventure. She dearly loved the books and looked forward to my reading them to her. I know I will feel devestated when the last one is released and almost DON'T look forward to it.........but not quite!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Bookishgal wrote:
I've been told that I am an unusual fan. I'm a forty-nine year old mom of two grown up sons, a seven year old grandson and a grandaughter on the way! I've loved Harry from day one. I'm an avid reader of all genres and I love, love, love, the classics................and mark my words, Harry Potter is destined to become a classic! I haven't read a book that "carried me away to another world" in the magnificent way JK Rowling writes, since I was a child and read A Wrinkle in Time. I tried to share my Potter love with my own sons but they didn't buy it. But my grandson adores Harry. I even read most of the series to my own mother before she passed away in October after a long painful illness. I'd visit her on Sunday afternoons and she would say "lets hear what Mr. Potter is up to today." And I would pull out our copy and continue the adventure. She dearly loved the books and looked forward to my reading them to her. I know I will feel devestated when the last one is released and almost DON'T look forward to it.........but not quite!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your mother enjoyed that special time you shared when you read the stories to her.

I think we are very lucky to be present during the writing of this series. We are here in the moment as Harry is being written. We get to open these books fresh and new. I agree that they are destined to be classics and as much as I want to know the ending I don't want this series to be over. I can't wait to see what JK Rowling has to offer next!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

I'm really loving this thread. Thanks for sharing these stories, all--and for starting it, Wrighty! I can't imagine a more diverse gathering--except maybe that bar scene in Star Wars.

Rachel
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rkubie wrote:
I'm really loving this thread. Thanks for sharing these stories, all--and for starting it, Wrighty! I can't imagine a more diverse gathering--except maybe that bar scene in Star Wars.

Rachel

I'm really liking it myself. This is another example of how popular and far reaching these books are. Let's hear from some more people now! :smileytongue:

Message Edited by Wrighty on 06-04-200701:31 AM

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Thanx, for that :smileyhappy:

And I guess there are many ways to think something unusual, and I love reading all of them.

phatrose wrote:
Hey Proper-T,

Here's some support in my own antiquated way -
"More Power to You"!

Phatrose

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Contributor
mgk1103
0 Kudos

I am not sure if there are any unusual fans. So many people have read the Harry Potter books, that it seems anyone who hasn't read at least one are the "unusual ones". I have tried in vain to get my husband to read them, my mom insists that they are only kids books. Little does she know! I just finished reading "Unlocking Harry Potter" by Granger, and it got me thinking about the series in a whole new way. There really has to be something special about the books for millions of fans to wait new releases with such fervent expectation. I for one will be said to see Harry disappear from our lives. He has so many admirable qualities. In a word , he is a mensch. He always sticks up for his friends and will do what is right rather than what is expedient. I believe that he will live to vanquish Voldermort in the final book. I want to think that we live in a world where good triumphs over evil. If Voldermort and his death eaters are in control, it will be a cold dark unforgiving world.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

mgk1103 wrote:
I am not sure if there are any unusual fans. So many people have read the Harry Potter books, that it seems anyone who hasn't read at least one are the "unusual ones". I have tried in vain to get my husband to read them, my mom insists that they are only kids books. Little does she know! I just finished reading "Unlocking Harry Potter" by Granger, and it got me thinking about the series in a whole new way. There really has to be something special about the books for millions of fans to wait new releases with such fervent expectation. I for one will be said to see Harry disappear from our lives. He has so many admirable qualities. In a word , he is a mensch. He always sticks up for his friends and will do what is right rather than what is expedient. I believe that he will live to vanquish Voldermort in the final book. I want to think that we live in a world where good triumphs over evil. If Voldermort and his death eaters are in control, it will be a cold dark unforgiving world.

Maybe "unusual" wasn't the right word to use. I probably should have said people that aren't "typical" of who you would expect a HP fan to be. I agree with what you're saying though MGK. With so many fans out there, there isn't really a specific type. How amazing it must feel for JK Rowling to be able to accomplish that! There are many good and even great authors out there with terrific books but Harry Potter has become a phenomenon like no other.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

I don't consider myself unusual :smileywink: I'm a Conservative Evangelical Christian and I know others like myself who are Potter fans.

Bookishgal, I'm truly sorry to hear about your mother. The two of you shared a special time together and I hope as you read DH you will remember the good times and not the sad.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

to Bookishgal

amm1 wrote:
I don't consider myself unusual :smileywink: I'm a Conservative Evangelical Christian and I know others like myself who are Potter fans.

Bookishgal, I'm truly sorry to hear about your mother. The two of you shared a special time together and I hope as you read DH you will remember the good times and not the sad.

amm1 makes a good point to Bookishgal about the new Harry Potter book. I ordered Order of The Phoenix and the very moment that I was opening the box I received a phone call saying that my ill grandfather had just died. I just couldn't read it for a while and when I did I couldn't enjoy it because that was all I thought about. With the next book, although it still made my think of that and made me feel down, I felt better and did remember the happy moments instead of just the sad. I'm sure that's how it will be with this next book as well. Bookishgal, I also hope you have good memories of your mother as you read this last book. Enjoy it as you would have with her.
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 229 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: