Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Have you given away your copies?

Have you introduced Harry to anyone else? Do you have to keep picking up copies again because you're too eager to share them? Are you able to wait patiently for the friend to comment on the books, or do you call them frequently to find out where they are in their reading?

Rachel
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Re: Have you given away your copies?

rkubie wrote:
Have you introduced Harry to anyone else? Do you have to keep picking up copies again because you're too eager to share them? Are you able to wait patiently for the friend to comment on the books, or do you call them frequently to find out where they are in their reading?

Rachel

i got my brother into reading harry potter. i dont hvae to get copies of the books, i'll let some trusted ppl borrow them, but then im always on them to hurry up and finish so i can have my book back. i pester them about where they are in reading. its horrible.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Give them away? Not on your life! I will lend them to people who I think would enjoy them but only if they return them in a timely manner and in the same pristine condition. I learnt from "Wicked" that it's better to keep a hardcover copy and loan out the paperback. But most of my Potter friends buy their own anyway.
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
meggie
0 Kudos

The only person I've ever lent my Harry Potter books to was my brother, but it was only the 1st book, and I also read it at the same time.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I won't share! But I have bought quite a few soft cover versions for friends and family to get them interested in the series.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I did buy a boxed set of the paperbacks 1-5 for a good friend's husband when he was going to retire. He actually ended up working part time but still has more time to read than before.
Debbie

Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

I have 4 copies of book 1, and at least two copies of all the other books. I share and have actually given copies to my son's girlfriend as well. As long as I am left with one copy of each to check things out while I am on these discussion groups I am fine. I am thinking about buying paperback copies of all the books so I can mark them up when the last book comes out. I want to follow the threads of the final book throught the series so I can actually lead a good discussion group with older kids later on. JKR does such a great job of foreshadowing and uses so many other literary devices in her writing that I should be able to find great examples throughout the series to teach.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I hope no-one has given away their first editions, first issues, because the 1997 first edition of HP and the Philosopher's stone sold for £20,000 ($40,000)!

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,636298,00.html
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Give them away... yikes, I'm one of those people who feel everything will come back into style, will be really important, or will somehow save my life as thanks for keeping it... so I almost never get rid of or give away anything easily. Though I have every intention of buying the Hardcover Boxed set of 1-7. My papaerbacks are i terrible consdtion... but that's because I travel with them. I may lend them if someone asks, but nobody ever asks... if they did I'd probabaly just buy it for them though.
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

I lent my copy of SS to someone I was trying to persuade to read it- a friend of mine who is convinced Harry Potter is occult, and won't touch the books- and I have yet to get it back (I have learned better, since then, than to lend things to people that I actually care about having returned). I BOUGHT a paperback copy for a friend of my mom who I'm sure will love it, if she ever gets around to actually reading it...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

StoryMing wrote:
I lent my copy of SS to someone I was trying to persuade to read it- a friend of mine who is convinced Harry Potter is occult, and won't touch the books- and I have yet to get it back (I have learned better, since then, than to lend things to people that I actually care about having returned). I BOUGHT a paperback copy for a friend of my mom who I'm sure will love it, if she ever gets around to actually reading it...

Doesn't that just frustrate you to the limit? You know they will LOVE the book... and yet they don't open it! I'm still working on my nephews...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I don't mean to get too off topic but can anyone tell me how to discern what printing your books are from? I know mine are first editions but that's it.
Debbie

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I don't mean to get too off topic but can anyone tell me how to discern what printing your books are from? I know mine are first editions but that's it.

If you look on the page that gives the copyright and publisher it will state when the first print was or just what printing your copy is and when that printing was done.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Toni, Thanks for replying but I can't find anything specific pertaining to printings, At random i picked out GoF and OoP both bought at the midnight releases so here's the numbers I found:

OOP

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 03 04 05 06 07
Printed in the USA 58
First American Edition, July 2003

GOF

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0/0 01 02 03 04
Printed in the USA 23
First American Editin July, 2000

Is there a code here I just don't get? I must have missed this during my education years!

Debbie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nelsmom wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

If you look on the page that gives the copyright and publisher it will state when the first print was or just what printing your copy is and when that printing was done.

Toni

Debbie

Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Toni, There should have been spaces between the 1 and the 03 and the 1 and the 0/0 in the respective books. the mail daemon must have eliminated them.
Debbie

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

The First American Edition tells you and the other editions won't have that. I will have something like copyrighted (1998) Printed May 2006 for when the reorint was done or it might have several months and years. so that you can tell which print it is by how many dates are before it. But one thing it will have is when it was first printed and who holds the copyright.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me, Toni!

Debbie
Literaturely Impaired
Debbie

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

The number of printings in an edition can be found in the string of numbers you typed for each book. If the lowest number present is "05" then the book is from the fifth printing in an edition. Since both your copies were bought on the first day of release, they are part of the first printing in the American edition (as opposed to the British one).

dcsbelle wrote:
Toni, Thanks for replying but I can't find anything specific pertaining to printings, At random i picked out GoF and OoP both bought at the midnight releases so here's the numbers I found:

OOP

Printed in the USA 58

GOF

Printed in the USA 23

Is there a code here I just don't get? I must have missed this during my education years!

Debbie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nelsmom wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

Toni

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:
The number of printings in an edition can be found in the string of numbers you typed for each book. If the lowest number present is "05" then the book is from the fifth printing in an edition. Since both your copies were bought on the first day of release, they are part of the first printing in the American edition (as opposed to the British one).

dcsbelle wrote:

OOP

Printed in the USA 58

GOF

Printed in the USA 23

Debbie

Nelsmom wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

Toni

So does that mean that her edition of OoP was the third printing of the first edition? And her copy of GOF was the original printing of the first edition?

And why do they put all the other numbers there?
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

She has first printings - I think with such large print runs there are batch numbers as well. It gets more and more complicated the larger the print run gets.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 753 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: