New User
phatrose
0 Kudos

Re: Have you given away your copies?

I started reading the Harry Potter books when they were first released in Europe. When ever I called home (I was living in Italy), I would tell my family that Harry Potter was making riding on public transportation really enjoyable!!!!

I have introduced many people to Harry, especially my younger sister who is now a bigger fanatic than I am! Most of the people that I know who read the books love them like I do, so we all own our own copies.

Unfortunately, I returned to the States right after 9/11 and in the process I lost several important things - among them - a first edition of the Philosopher's Stone and a first edition O Magazine (Oprah)that mother had sent me. I hope someone is putting those to good use and that they have not just been incinerated!!!!
Frequent Contributor
quidditch2323
0 Kudos

I only give my copies to my family to read. My mom has read the series, and my dad has just started the second book. My sister is reading the first book. I also have gotten many friends to read the series. One of those friends is one the 4th book, and vows to finish the series by the release of the 7th book. My other friend has finished the series completely. My best friend, though, was a fanatic before me, and now we discuss Harry Potter every time we meet.
"From this point forth, we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."

AlbusDumbledore
New User
Robb
0 Kudos

Although I read every book, I never purchased a copy. I always borrowed them from the library. I am already on the reserve list for the final book.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

My daughter is now reading my copy of HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It is paperback and since I have read it many times, its in pretty bad shape. In fact I had to get some clear packing tape and tape up the front cover. So, no way will I give up my copies! No matter how beat up and tattered they get. I may replace some or all of them at some time but will never get rid of them or let anyone out of the family borrow them. I will purchase them for others.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Give away my books! Never. I have read all of them (no exageration) 12-13 times. I do lend my first and second books out to get people hooked. After that, they tend to buy their own books.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
potterfreak2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I've never really been asked to lend anyone one of my Harry Potter books. Probably because my friends know I would bug them like crazy to finish it and give it back like really quickly. But I do have to share them with my older sister which has kinda sucked up until now because she would always get to read the new books first since she reads faster than me, but I got her a set of the paperback books 1-6 so we wouldn't fight over whether or not she's taking them to college next year, and we're getting two copies of Deathly Hallows which is good. My friend wants me to lend him DH for about a week in August, so he can read it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to part with it that soon after it comes out :/ .

Message Edited by potterfreak2 on 07-05-2007 10:53 PM
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Yes I lend my books out but I would never ever give them away. My copy of SS si paperback and rather tattered, my copy of CoS got left outside in our treehouse for about a month a few summers ago and my copy of PoA the binding has broken so half of the book is connected to the front and the other half to the back. Still I would never dream of giving them away. I remember getting each book and they mean too much to me. Yes After the 7th book comes out I may buy them all in hardcover to have them all in good shape but I will still love my old ones.
BG
Contributor
BG
0 Kudos

We always save about 5 copies and give them to my family because something always comes up and none of them come that night when the book is releasted!!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Wow, BG, you sound like a great reading buddy to have!

Rachel
Contributor
MikeNM
0 Kudos

When I moved, my copies of CoS and PoA disappeared! I ordered new copies to complete my set, but I wish I had the ones I first read. I still have my first US edition SS, though.
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

I hate to say this but I am very selfish when it comes to my Harry Potter books. I don't even let my kids know when I am done with them so that I can put them away safely. I do, however, buy my kids paperback versions of the books. I just like to keep my hardcovers nice. I do lend out the paperbacks when my kids are done with them. My niece loves Harry Potter and she really enjoys when I lend them to her.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
Contributor
books1708
0 Kudos

NO WAY! i would never give away my HP copies! There the books that turned me on to reading and i would never be able to give them away.
"His scar had not hurt in nineteen years. All was well." =)
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TAKE MY COPIES TO THE GRAVE!!!!!!! I wouldn't even let people touch my copy of DH! Let alone read it!
Besides, i've already written my own personal opinions, poetry, quotes, basically my entire life, on and in all my HP books---and to make sure no one attempts to read them, recently i've taken to writing key secrets of the book on various pages. No one will touch my books. period.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Contributor
herbsinger42
0 Kudos

There is a saying that nobody steals your books but your friends...
I'm partial to this myself. I do keep my books, and I re-read the best at least once a year.
I am a Browncoat as well as a HP fan... for those of you that don't recognize the term, I am a fan of a FOX short-lived TV show named Firefly-- and the Browncoats have a term they call "recruiting"-- One has their own beloved copy that will be pried from their cold, dead fingers upon their death... but they have at least one "loaner" copy-- with which to snag new fans. I teach English... and in my school, the return rate is rather thin... So, the loanee must leave me a dollar, to be returned upon the return of the item. Surprisingly, cause the books are worth a great deal more than the dollar... they come back.
I'll take it.
I have duplicates (sometimes 3 or 5..) of every title. I loan to friends... but I now have a stamp that I put on the exterior of the pages... so you can see it from the outside that it is MINE!!!
I want new fans... but I want the books back so I can do it again next year.
You can't stop the signal, Mal.
-Mr. Universe
Frequent Contributor
acciobrain
0 Kudos

I would NEVER, EVER, EVER give away my copies of the Harry Potter books, but I have let people borrow them. My dad is actually borrowing Sorcerer's Stone at the moment(can you believe he's never actually read a Harry Potter book before now?) but I find myself already missing it! SORCERER'S STONE, COME BACK TO ME!
Users Online
Currently online:6 members 279 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: