Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Re: How It All Began for Me

I saw the SS movie first... to be exact, I saw Quidditch first. My friend had been trying to get me to watch it, but I refused. Then when I was in my own house flipping through the HBO's, I caught it in the middle of Quidditch. Luckily HBO, has the west channel which plays everythig 3 hours later... and three hours later I was a fan. Even better CoS came on HBO like two weeks later. I read OotP between PoA and GoF, but didn't get it, and then finally decided to read all the books after the fourth movie. But I didn't read them in order, or anything. Did anyone else go out of Order? My order was.

M1, M2, M3, B5, M4, B6, B5 (again), B4, B3, B2, B1 and soon to be M5, B7...
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

I kept watching all the reports on television about the Harry Potter craze and kept telling myself that one of these days I am going to read them to see what all the fuss is about. (I had two small children at the time with NO time to read!) At that time I was driving my son to a school about an hour away (in one direction and then returning home in the morning and doing the same thing in the afternoon to pick him up.(about 4 hours in the car a day!) So with that much time in the car I started checking out books on tape at the library. The library finally received the Harry Potter books on tape. I started by listening to them on tape, when on the second book one of the tapes ended and while grabbing the next tape, the radio came on and the announcer was telling what was happening to the twin towers in NYC.(9/11/2001) So during the time when the world was falling apart I had Hogwarts to go to for some comfort. Since then I have read all the books, watched all the movies and I have them on audio CD too. I am totally hooked! (Jim Dale does a fabulous job!) I have mixed feeling about book 7, I am excited and can't wait to see what will happen. But at the same time I don't want it to end! I have a feeling I will be reading Deathly Hollows with a box of tissues!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
adribetty394
0 Kudos

Well I must say my friends are a bit distraught when I tell them of my ... lets say struggle ... to become an HP fan. It all came to my attention when I watched the first movie. Mind you I was 8 years old , but I'm a real life Hermione , and I just had to get my hands on those books!
Well at the time I was visiting back home in Mexico , so my dad's girlfriend went with me get the first book. I must say the translated version (the one in spanish) kind of left me un-enchanted, it just didn't capture me. So I sort of let it go until movie two came along. Well that day my mom took me to watch the movie. I knew by word of mouth that there were some .. frighting creatures in the movie and I wasn't worried. Mom however was horrified when she saw the likes of the Basilisk and thus my plight began. She pretty much forbade me to watch the movies or read the books because well she was terrified! I went into an all out fit but, alas, I had to listen to her. Later that evening she confessed that she had purchased the entire set of books for me (up to GoF by then) but said that she would be returning them. In a way I understood her because I was just a girl but I was still very, very upset.
One day in school I was looking through the library and found Prisoner of Azcaban. It broke my heart! But I was obedient and let it go.

Well seventh grade came along and one night I had this conversation, "Mom, I'm going on a date Saturday."
"Oh, that's nice sweetie where are you going?"
"Well.. that's the thing... I'm going to watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."
I braced my self. And then I was surprised, "Oh, I don't understend how you can like such things , but whatever, you're thirteen. If you can't sleep it's not my problem."

And she left it at that.I was rejoiced!
I watched the movie and was captured once again. Final exams and such things got in the way of my pursuing the books that same year. But three months ago I caught one of my best friends , in deep concentration, her head stuck inside Order of the Phoenix.

That very day I asked her if I could borrow the first book and she was delighted. Well, it all went uphill from there. After a month I was finished. Many of my classmates were very impressed. I had practically devouered all six books!

So...THAT is how it all began for me. Today I am a devoted fanfic author at harrypotterfanfiction.com and I go by this same name if you'd like to check it out.

Devoted to the magic,
adribetty394
~*~it's the unknow we fear when we look upon death and darkness~*~
New User
BelmontGuy06
0 Kudos

My HP journey started the summer HBP came out. That's right. I had never read the books until the summer before my senior year of high school.

Anyway, my sister has a degree in English, and she read SS and raved about it. I completely trust her judgement in books, so I borrowed her copy and read it in one afternoon. I was in love with Rowling style and voice. As an English lit nerd myself, I was enthralled by the excellent text.

By this point, my sister (who was home for the summer) was on POA. I read COS the next day, POA the next (passing her bookmard while she was at work) and GOF over the following two days. Then I hit Order of the Phoenix (to this day my favorite). It took me two days to read as well, and then, the next day, HBP came out. I bought it and read it that night, going to bed at about 5 in the morning. Considering the conclusion of HBP, I refused to have any form of conversation with my sister until she had caught up.

Since that time (2 years) I have read the series in order 7 times with an additional 3 or 4 readings of OOTP. I have even audited a class at my university on Harry Potter. I have also made custom HP wands in varying sizes, shapes, and colors. So, my journey, though short, has been transformative.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Proper-T wrote:
I saw the SS movie first... to be exact, I saw Quidditch first. My friend had been trying to get me to watch it, but I refused. Then when I was in my own house flipping through the HBO's, I caught it in the middle of Quidditch. Luckily HBO, has the west channel which plays everythig 3 hours later... and three hours later I was a fan. Even better CoS came on HBO like two weeks later. I read OotP between PoA and GoF, but didn't get it, and then finally decided to read all the books after the fourth movie. But I didn't read them in order, or anything. Did anyone else go out of Order? My order was.

That must have been so confusing! :smileysurprised: So you've never read any of the series in order? Isn't it hard to follow what's going on? At least for the first time reading the books. Why did you read them that way?
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It was confusing at the point of going from the PoA Movie to the OotP book, but I didn't know the order at the time. I was in the store and the cashier was like 'I think that's the next one', so I bought it, not knowing it wasn't.

When I fianlly saw GOF, and then read HBP, I rememebred some of OotP but not all, and then when I re read OotP, everything clicked- mostly. There were still some things that the movie missed that I didn't understand but I figured out on the way down, lol. Luckily the movie versions of SS and CoS were pretty accurate so I had the basis down.

As for the rest of the books, that's just how I ran across them. I'd literally go into the store and ask 'did they have any more?' and they'd only have one of the ones I didn't have already. So I just wound up reading them in reverse... but as soon as I finished SS I re-read the whole series in order. And I finally got to take it in properly.

I sort of wish I had read it properly, but there's tons of stuff I enjoyed lauging at myself for. Like feeling bad that Harry obviously had lost a close friend in Cedric Diggory by someone pretending to be Voldy. Not having seen/read GoF I had no idea that it wasn't an impersonator, and that he and Cedric weren't that close, he wasn't even in Gryffindor.

Wrighty wrote:

Proper-T wrote:

That must have been so confusing! :smileysurprised: So you've never read any of the series in order? Isn't it hard to follow what's going on? At least for the first time reading the books. Why did you read them that way?

Message Edited by Proper-T on 06-15-2007 02:49 AM
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

books in wrong order

Proper-T wrote:
It was confusing at the point of going from the PoA Movie to the OotP book, but I didn't know the order at the time. I was in the store and the cashier was like 'I think that's the next one', so I bought it, not knowing it wasn't.

When I fianlly saw GOF, and then read HBP, I rememebred some of OotP but not all, and then when I re read OotP, everything clicked- mostly. There were still some things that the movie missed that I didn't understand but I figured out on the way down, lol. Luckily the movie versions of SS and CoS were pretty accurate so I had the basis down.

As for the rest of the books, that's just how I ran across them. I'd literally go into the store and ask 'did they have any more?' and they'd only have one of the ones I didn't have already. So I just wound up reading them in reverse... but as soon as I finished SS I re-read the whole series in order. And I finally got to take it in properly.

I sort of wish I had read it properly, but there's tons of stuff I enjoyed lauging at myself for. Like feeling bad that Harry obviously had lost a close friend in Cedric Diggory by someone pretending to be Voldy. Not having seen/read GoF I had no idea that it wasn't an impersonator, and that he and Cedric weren't that close, he wasn't even in Gryffindor.

That's pretty funny! Hey, you still got to enjoy the books. I've read one book in a series out of order but I never heard of what you did. I bet you learned a lot more when you read the series the second time, in the right order. :smileywink:
Reader 2
Chris_s_Mom
0 Kudos

I came to love Harry Potter in September 2005. Hurricane Katrina had forced everyone I knew and loved to leave our homes in New Orleans, LA. My husband's family and I evacuated to Arkansas. It was there that we would spend hours in the library using the internet trying to get some word from home. While there, my 17 year old brother-in-law buried himself in HBP every day. Back at the house we were renting later in the week, I walked in on him watching the end of CoS on the only TV in the house and watched it with him. I asked him "what's so great about Harry Potter? And What keeps him protected?" He said you have to follow from the beginning but that it was all about his mother's love. This stuck with me because also at the time the Hurricane hit, my husband and I were planning to start a family. After being kept away for 20 days, we were allowed home and on that day I found out I was pregnant. Initially I was very sick and needed a lot of rest so my husband bought every Harry Potter book he could get his hands on (supplies of everything were sparse when we first returned home)to keep me occupied and not over exerting myself since he remembered my curiosity back in Arkansas. The more I read, the more special the book became as it truly was about a mother's love for her son so much so that she died for him. As it turns out, I had a complicated pregnancy filled with tests, discomfort, special diet, etc. As silly as it sounds, on several occasions I would think to myself, well if Lily could die for Harry, a few more tests aren't that bad. And yes, I did have a boy!!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

What a lovely, heartwarming story! Congratulations to you and your husband on your little son. You didn't name him Harry by any chance? :smileyhappy:

Chris_s_Mom wrote:
I came to love Harry Potter in September 2005. Hurricane Katrina had forced everyone I knew and loved to leave our homes in New Orleans, LA. My husband's family and I evacuated to Arkansas. It was there that we would spend hours in the library using the internet trying to get some word from home. While there, my 17 year old brother-in-law buried himself in HBP every day. Back at the house we were renting later in the week, I walked in on him watching the end of CoS on the only TV in the house and watched it with him. I asked him "what's so great about Harry Potter? And What keeps him protected?" He said you have to follow from the beginning but that it was all about his mother's love. This stuck with me because also at the time the Hurricane hit, my husband and I were planning to start a family. After being kept away for 20 days, we were allowed home and on that day I found out I was pregnant. Initially I was very sick and needed a lot of rest so my husband bought every Harry Potter book he could get his hands on (supplies of everything were sparse when we first returned home)to keep me occupied and not over exerting myself since he remembered my curiosity back in Arkansas. The more I read, the more special the book became as it truly was about a mother's love for her son so much so that she died for him. As it turns out, I had a complicated pregnancy filled with tests, discomfort, special diet, etc. As silly as it sounds, on several occasions I would think to myself, well if Lily could die for Harry, a few more tests aren't that bad. And yes, I did have a boy!!

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Reader 2
Chris_s_Mom
0 Kudos

Thanks so much. No, we named him Chistopher; however, should we have a girl in the future, she will be named Lily.

dcsbelle wrote:
What a lovely, heartwarming story! Congratulations to you and your husband on your little son. You didn't name him Harry by any chance? :smileyhappy:

Chris_s_Mom wrote:

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Well, I was 5 years old, and my dad was looking for a book to read aloud. He read the first chapter , and my brother soon got bored of it. I continued reading and was done before my 6th birthday. Now I'm not as obssesed as I was in Kindergarten, but I still love these books!!!
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

My grandma bought the first book, hardcover, for my 11th birthday. By then the first book had been out at least a year and I had heard about it, but I had so many other books to read at that time that I figured it would just be one I'd get around to eventually if I was interested.
Well, I sure was. After I read it I just fell in love, and my grandma continued buying me all the books in hardcover up until the 7th one. The reason for that is that my dad began reading them sometime after... I think the 5th one came out, and now he is almost as obsessed as I am. I found out in April or May that my dad had pre-ordered the special edition of DH even months before that! I found it quite hilarious. My mom is reading the 6th one right now- she's not really a slow reader, she just doesn't have much time to read with 2 kids in middle school, so she gets about a chapter read a night. My brother isn't much of a reader, which is terrible considering how much I read, and my little sister prefers books about cats...

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Reader 2
Maha
0 Kudos

I was in 3rd grade, and one of my best friends was bragging about how wonderful SS was. So one day, I just checked it out and was HOOKED. I was constantly reading and have been ever since! I even re-read all the books everytime a new one comes out, sometimes I re-read them just for fun (I think I've read each one like four or five times - haha). I am SO EXCITED about the new book and movie - I'm even using colored hairspray to make my hair pink so that I can be Tonks for the midnight releases! Only 39 minutes, 3 hours, 1 day, and 4 weeks until the book! Yay! Ü
*Anxiously Waiting for July 21, Midnight*

-Maha Ü
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Madelia wrote:
My grandma bought the first book, hardcover, for my 11th birthday. By then the first book had been out at least a year and I had heard about it, but I had so many other books to read at that time that I figured it would just be one I'd get around to eventually if I was interested.
Well, I sure was. After I read it I just fell in love, and my grandma continued buying me all the books in hardcover up until the 7th one. The reason for that is that my dad began reading them sometime after... I think the 5th one came out, and now he is almost as obsessed as I am. I found out in April or May that my dad had pre-ordered the special edition of DH even months before that! I found it quite hilarious. My mom is reading the 6th one right now- she's not really a slow reader, she just doesn't have much time to read with 2 kids in middle school, so she gets about a chapter read a night. My brother isn't much of a reader, which is terrible considering how much I read, and my little sister prefers books about cats...

That's a special tradition you have with your grandma. I bet you're glad she picked out that first book for you. And now the whole family is hooked! Will you have to buy a copy of the 7th book for every member of the family or will you have to share? I would have to grab it and run! :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

hurricane

Chris_s_Mom wrote:
Thanks so much. No, we named him Chistopher; however, should we have a girl in the future, she will be named Lily.

dcsbelle wrote:

I'm so sorry for what you had to go through during that horrible hurricane and a rough pregnancy but I'm so glad you have a new son! I wondered if you named him Harry too. It's so amazing how books can take you away to another place. It's such a nice break from real life sometimes.
Contributor
coley07
0 Kudos

Re: hurricane

I had just finished my first year of graduate school after being away from college for 5 years. After a horribly hectic and stressful finals week, plus the additional pressure of recording final grades, I was ready for a break. But what to do? I had heard of the HP series, but thought the books were for children. Finally after much cajoling and pushing from my younger sister, I reluctantly started to read her copies of the books. By the middle of the next week, I had read all six books. I couldn't put them down. During that time my husband and 4 year old son sometimes couldn't find me. I'd sneak down to the basement whenever I could just to read a couple more pages. I love the series so much, I ended up writing my thesis on OotP. And I still love them!
Frequent Contributor
Mrs_Hermione_Weasley
0 Kudos

I got into the books after the first movie. I had heard about the books before that but I just didn't have time to read being a new wife and mom, plus I knew there was alot of controversy about the books. When the SS came to theatres my husband and I decided to see what all the fuss was about and I have been a loyal Harry fan ever since. I have read each book I a dozen times or more since then.
For this last mothers day my wonderful husband sent me on a Harry Hunt through our house (riding my broom and all) to find my gifts. He bought me all 6 books on CD and I had to follow clues to each destination. He is so sweet.
Mrs. Hermione Weasley
Frequent Contributor
Jenny20
0 Kudos

I first started getting into Harry Potter when the fall after the first book came out . . . I was in fifth grade, and our teacher read a little bit to us each day. After a week, I made my mom go out and buy me a copy so I could finish it myself without waiting for the teacher . . .

And ever since then, I've waited faithfully each summer when the new book was due out to go read it. I've kind of grown up with Harry Potter in a way, I guess.

It will be weird this summer to read it in English, since the last dozen or so times I've read the books have been in Spanish . . .

SO Harry also means that I have had the opportunity to nurture my love for reading in another language.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
How fortunate you are to have grown up with Harry! Have you noticed many differences between the English and Spanish versions? Which do you prefer?

Jenny20 wrote:
I first started getting into Harry Potter when the fall after the first book came out . . . I was in fifth grade, and our teacher read a little bit to us each day. After a week, I made my mom go out and buy me a copy so I could finish it myself without waiting for the teacher . . .

And ever since then, I've waited faithfully each summer when the new book was due out to go read it. I've kind of grown up with Harry Potter in a way, I guess.

It will be weird this summer to read it in English, since the last dozen or so times I've read the books have been in Spanish . . .

SO Harry also means that I have had the opportunity to nurture my love for reading in another language.

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 06-26-2007 02:44 PM
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
New User
irishdancer317
0 Kudos

I think I discovered SS when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I found it before it became popular and before CoS had come out. I read it on my own and I LOVED it. Once CoS came out I had to beg my mom to take me to the bookstore so I could get it. GoF was my favorite book when I was little and it is definitely the most beat up out of them all. I read it so much that tere is even a picture of me reading it in my mom and step dad's wedding photo album!!

I can't wait till DH comes out! I'm dying to know how this series is going to end. But at the same time, it's really sad that it's over. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry when it hits me that there'll be no more HP books. :smileysad:
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: