Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
RedRoses2
0 Kudos

My Harry Adventures

Okay, I didn't start reading the series until the first movie was already in theaters. Keep in mind, I was ten years old at the time. Other than my cousin dressing up for a Harry Potter party one day, I had basically never heard of it until I saw the trailer for the first movie. McGonagall was the first face I saw of the trailer, and she scared me. As I watched, I came to the conclusion that the movie was about evil teachers trying to brainwash all the Hogwarts students and it was up to Harry, Ron, and Hermione to save them all. I thought McGonagall was the main bad guy, though Snape was pretty frightening too.

Then my mother said she wanted to see it and I stared at her like she had lobsters coming out of her ears.

After that, we went to the library and I did what I usually did and combed the children's section for something to read. On the very bottom shelf, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone caught my eye. The entire reason I decided to check it out and read it was because, unlike in the trailer with all the kids wearing these weird cloaks that made me think of a brainwashed cult, Harry looked like a normal kid (despite the broomstick, unicorn, castle, three-headed dog, and the scar on his forehead). I finished it in less than a week, and I wanted to get my hands on the second book as soon as possible, and I had already started it by the time we went to see the first movie in theaters. It was a complete surprise because at the time I thought the movie had already left theaters because it had taken me so long to actually want to see the movie; one of the best gifts my parents ever gave me. Both my sister and I were bouncing up and down. Since my sister was sitting on my father's shoulders, he didn't really like that very much. He made her get down, then she bounced up and down on the ground with me. In the theaters I could've sworn I saw someone wearing a turban standing at the back of the theater, but as soon as the movie ended and I looked in the same direction, the person was gone so I'm not sure if it was a working of my imagination or not.
CONSTANT VIGILANCE! - Mad-Eye Moody, coolest Auror ever
Frequent Contributor
HPRocksMySocks
0 Kudos

Re: My Harry Adventures

I started reading the books after I saw the first movie which was both good and bad. It was good because some parts are really hard to imagine, so the movie helped me through those parts. And also, I knew how to pernounce Hermione's name, which I know a lot of people had trouble with before the movie came out. It was also bad because I already had opinions of all of the characters before I even read the book, I wasn't meeting them for the first time, if you know what I mean.
New User
Ithaca
0 Kudos

I didn't get into the series until after the first movie either, although I'd heard about the books before and read part of a borrowed copy of my friend's. After the movie got out I immediately bought a copy of the Philosopher's Stone and read it in two days. I liked them, but I wasn't hooked until I read the 3rd book. Since book four, I've bought them as soon as they were released! The only difficulty I have with it is that the way I picture the characters as I read is as the actors in movie appear. Like, I always imagine Alan Rickman as Snape, Daniel Radcliffe as Harry, etc.
Frequent Contributor
lhsnlife
0 Kudos

I started reading it the year chamber of secrets came out because i had just started reading chapter books... i was like 6 i guess well anyway my mom bought it for me and i immediately fell in love!
New User
supergeek443
0 Kudos

I diddnt get into the series untill the third movie was on dvd! i still cant beleve how fast the first book got read. HALF A DAY!!?!
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: