Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
harrypotterrocksmyworld
0 Kudos

The end of an era. "SPOILER WARNING!"

The release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" marks the end of a decade, the end of a truly amazing story. It's been a wonderful journey, a great adventure, an incredible ride reading these books, especially this last one. And all of us fans are united, connected in a way by the love we have for the books and the emotions we've felt reading them. The joy and the laughter, the fear and the suspense, the shock and the excitement. But probably the most profoundly felt among all of us is the deep sadness and despair over the ones we've lost.

Hedwig, Harry's beloved, sometimes temperamental, but always loyal, snowy-white, amber eyed owl.

Mad-Eye Moody, with his magical, fascinating, and sometimes creepy electric-blue eye-ball. "Constant vigilance!," was his motto.

Fred Weasly, the other half of the tricky, mischievous, dynamic duo. Fred and George could always make us laugh, even in the darkest of situations. When George lost an ear, the first thing that came out of his mouth was a joke. George without Fred just doesn't feel right. We all loved them, and now that Fred is gone, things just aren't the same.

But perhaps the saddest of all the losses is that of Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks. Killed at the hands of Voldomort's Death Eaters. They were starting a new life together. Having gotten married and having had their first baby. Now, Teddy Remus Lupin must grow up without ever knowing his parents.

But these losses are all part of the experience. The experience of the final chapter in this truly epic tale of our beloved hero, the noble, the chivalrous, the brave, the completely selfless and truly great Harry Potter.

I'm sure the deepest sadness felt among us all is of the loss of our beloved series. The realization, the shock that it's really over. That this is it, the end, there will be no more. I'm sure that many of us, I being one of them, didn't want to read the book. A part of us did want to read it of course, wanted to find out how it finally ended. Burning to know how Voldomort was finally defeated. But the other part of us wanted to hide the book. To never read it. For as long as we didn't read it, it wouldn't be over for us, at least not now.

But as much as we didn't want it to end, we persevered, to join Harry, Ron, and Hermione on their final adventure.

It's all been an incredible journey. A wonderful, fantastic, amazing, magical journey. One that can never be experienced again. But all though the series has ended, we must fight to keep Harry Potter alive! Never let him be forgotten, so that others can experience the euphoria we have felt.

But all though future generations may come to love the series as much as we have, WE are the lucky few who can say, "We were there!" We were there when this incredible series, this epic phenomenon all started and when it ended.

And because we are here, we will always be Harry Potter fans, for now and forever more. We've been loyal to the end and always will be. And I don't believe there ever has, nor ever will be, a story that could ever be as good as, that could ever possibly compare, to that of the Boy Who Lived, and who will live on through us. And the most important thing we've learned from this phenomenal story, is that no matter haw scared, young, or inexperienced you may be, you can still change the world and become a hero.
Type to you later! (Literally!) :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
harrypotterrocksmyworld
0 Kudos

Your thoughts

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone! I wrote this on how I felt about the series ending and I mean every word I said. Do any of you feel the same way? Also, I'd appreciate it if you could please tell me what you thought of what I wrote, but no insults please. Thanks.

Message Edited by harrypotterrocksmyworld on 07-28-2007 06:09 PM
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Re: Your thoughts

I have nothing to say because you said it all. I grew up with Harry and I know that I won't forget the fun and adventures I had with him. I will make my kids read these books whether they want to or not.
Frequent Contributor
harrypotterrocksmyworld
0 Kudos

LOL!

Yeah, I plan on doing the same to my kids, whenever I have them, I'm not even old enough to drive yet, LOL! I'm glad you like what I said. I love the series more than anything and J. K. Rowling is a literary genius. She brought the characters to life so that they almost seem like real people. Which makes it even harder to except that the series is over because it feels as though we've lost our best friends. At least that's how I feel.
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Re: LOL!

No I totally know what you mean. In 7th grade my only friends ditched me and Harry Ron and Hermione were my best friends I re-read those books so many times in Jr. High it's not even funny. I too think JK Rowling must be a freakin genius to bring all of the clues and such together it's just amazing to me to think about how complex and yet how simple the HP books really are.
New User
Susielala2
0 Kudos

Re: The end of an era. "SPOILER WARNING!"

What you wrote captured exactly how I have been feeling -- wanting to read the book to find out how it all ends, but not wanting to read the book because I didn't want it all to end.

I feel like I have closed another chapter in my life. I've felt like this with every major life event, graduating from high school, then college, then getting married and now having children. With the ending of each chapter a new one always began, but now, I'm not sure what's next. I don't know what my next chapter will be.

I joined the Harry series a little late in the game. It was five years ago right after the birth of my 1st child. A new friend of mine suggested that I read it. I've never been much of a reader, I've only ever read what was assigned (what I was required to read). I NEVER read just for the fun of it. As a child, I was labeled a "slow" reader. It was such an embarrassment for me, I had always excelled at everything I tried. I felt so stigmatized that I just shied away from reading all together.

But then came Harry Potter. Everyone was talking about it, but I just didn't have the courage to read it. I finally gave in. I think a part of me was curious as to what all the fuss was about, but I think the main reason I borrowed my friend's book and started turning the pages was because I wanted to feel young and somewhat normal again. Having a baby will do that to you. Your up to your elbows in diapers, applesauce and spit-up, and although you love your baby with all of your heart, a part of you needs an escape -- a place of excitement and wonder. For me, that was the Harry Potter series.

I will miss all of my friends from the pages of JK. I will miss my late nights reading with a glass of wine. I will miss my discussions with my friend - debating if Harry is or isn't a Horcrux or if Snape is good or bad. In short, I will miss it all. But I'm comforted, knowing that Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione are right there with me, right now -- raising their children as best as they know how.

I look forward to sharing this inspiring series with my children. Until then, I'll be searching for something to escape to, all the while knowing that NOTHING will ever be as brilliant.
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 665 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: