Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
BN Editor
Amanda_R
Posts: 203
Registered: ‎09-25-2006
0 Kudos

Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

[ Edited ]
Everyone knows that the Harry Potter books have been nothing less than a phenomenon -- breaking bookselling records around the world, and changing the publishing business forever.


But book-biz buzz aside, it's the personal impact of J. K. Rowling's series on its millions of readers that is perhaps the most compelling story of all.


As we wait for the all-important day of July 21st -- when we'll finally experience the climactic conclusion of Harry's adventures in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- this Book Club will be here to provide you, fans and loyal readers, with a place to share your personal stories, memories, and anecdotes about what this groundbreaking series has meant to you over the years.


Whether it's to fondly describe your first high-impact encounter with the series, share your favorite reading memories, or reflect upon how meeting Rowling's wise young wizard has changed your life, this is the place to share your Harry Potter stories with our community.


Be inspired, have fun, and enjoy!


Amanda




Message Edited by Amanda_R on 06-06-2007 10:46 AM

Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

The Harry connection?

Do you find yourself immediately in deep conversation with total strangers once you discover they've also read and loved the series? Do you have "Harry friends?"

Rachel
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Harry connection?

The best time to meet and discuss is while waiting in line for the release of the latest book. Here you have a captive group of very bored, very impatient Potterphiles of every age only too eager to share their thoughts on anything in JKR's world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rkubie wrote:
Do you find yourself immediately in deep conversation with total strangers once you discover they've also read and loved the series? Do you have "Harry friends?"

Rachel


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
rena64
Posts: 205
Registered: ‎02-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Harry connection?

Last week I found myself talking to my 12 year old daughter's friend who has read all the books. She had brought OOTP with her and was reading it again before book 7. I am also reading OOTP again now. My 12 year old daughter is not a big reader and has just seen the movies. I try to read the books together with her but she doesn't really want to. My 18 year old daughter likes to read but doesn't like Harry Potter. She read the first three books and started the fourth but stopped a very short way into it. I Love the BN boards because they give me a place to discuss the HP books with others who love them.
Contributor
The_Sibyl
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

I think, despite the fact that the Harry Potter series may have been written for a younger, less sophisticated audience, that books actually have a good deal of merit, and in fact, have a lot to say about society, people, and morality.

For instance, media propaganda is examined in OOTP as the Daily Prophet starts twisting its stories around to portray Harry in a negative light. Racism is examined in the societal conflict between pure-bloods and muggle-borns, and civil liberties are examined in Hermione's attempt to free the house elves.

Harry Potter also contributes a great deal to morality, in differentiating the attributes of Harry, as opposed to Voldemort. Further readers can even begin to see the makings of the archetypal hero in Harry. Harry Potter offers a good deal of merit for young readers, and even older readers as well.
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
Posts: 165
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!



The_Sibyl wrote:
I think, despite the fact that the Harry Potter series may have been written for a younger, less sophisticated audience, that books actually have a good deal of merit, and in fact, have a lot to say about society, people, and morality.

For instance, media propaganda is examined in OOTP as the Daily Prophet starts twisting its stories around to portray Harry in a negative light. Racism is examined in the societal conflict between pure-bloods and muggle-borns, and civil liberties are examined in Hermione's attempt to free the house elves.

Harry Potter also contributes a great deal to morality, in differentiating the attributes of Harry, as opposed to Voldemort. Further readers can even begin to see the makings of the archetypal hero in Harry. Harry Potter offers a good deal of merit for young readers, and even older readers as well.




All this and a great and exciting read as well. What a great package!
Contributor
The_Sibyl
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

Most definitely.

However, the radicalists who attempt to ban Harry Potter from being read because it supposedly perpetuates the occult are, I think, deluded. These people seem to miss the entire point of the series to focus on a single detail like witchcraft, without noticing that the books are really a great struggle between good and evil, and in fact, that the books emphasize values like loyalty, courage, kindness, and determination, all of which are values emphasized in THEIR OWN RELIGION.

Second, a lot of the people attempting to ban Harry Potter.......have never read Harry Potter.....never even attempted to pick the book up, and see what it was really all about.....sad, but true. That's just close-mindedness, really.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!


The_Sibyl wrote:
Most definitely.

However, the radicalists who attempt to ban Harry Potter from being read because it supposedly perpetuates the occult are, I think, deluded. These people seem to miss the entire point of the series to focus on a single detail like witchcraft, without noticing that the books are really a great struggle between good and evil, and in fact, that the books emphasize values like loyalty, courage, kindness, and determination, all of which are values emphasized in THEIR OWN RELIGION.

Second, a lot of the people attempting to ban Harry Potter.......have never read Harry Potter.....never even attempted to pick the book up, and see what it was really all about.....sad, but true. That's just close-mindedness, really.




"Radicalists" or "Fundamentalists"? They think very concretely. They look at a detail like "witchcraft" and fail to see the context the author has put that in.

The Harry Potter story is the only one that ever prompted me to write a letter to folks who were allegedly banning a book. Early on, CNN had done a piece about a Southern Catholic School which had allegedly banned the books in its library. I wrote to the local diocese about it and received a letter back saying that CNN had totally misrepresented the situation (had taken one person's request for a ban as a fait accompli) and that the Harry Potter books were not only in their libraries, but were highly recommended to students as wholesome reading. But THAT story was never carried by CNN...

I think the moral of the story here is that even though there ARE people who ban these books, we have to be very careful about interpreting "news" stories... there might be much less controversy over the Harry Potter books than the media (and still others with axes to grind) would like us to think.
Contributor
The_Sibyl
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

And yet, there is no denying that J.K. Rowling has been sent hundreds of angry emails and letters about her books from fundamentalist Christians, whether the news covers that or not.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!



The_Sibyl wrote:
And yet, there is no denying that J.K. Rowling has been sent hundreds of angry emails and letters about her books from fundamentalist Christians, whether the news covers that or not.




Few of whom have read the books... most of whom only learned about the books from others and the news...
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!


The_Sibyl wrote:
Most definitely.

However, the radicalists who attempt to ban Harry Potter from being read because it supposedly perpetuates the occult are, I think, deluded. These people seem to miss the entire point of the series to focus on a single detail like witchcraft, without noticing that the books are really a great struggle between good and evil, and in fact, that the books emphasize values like loyalty, courage, kindness, and determination, all of which are values emphasized in THEIR OWN RELIGION.

Second, a lot of the people attempting to ban Harry Potter.......have never read Harry Potter.....never even attempted to pick the book up, and see what it was really all about.....sad, but true. That's just close-mindedness, really.




I think this topic must be getting weak with those who object to Harry Potter. Soon they will be the only ones who have never read Harry Potter. It is hard to deny a book with such a following. The final book and the OotP movie will completely dominate everything in July and now a new Theme Park in Orlando Florida puts it on par with Disney. How can a parent keep denying a book to child when the book is being read and talked about by virtually most of the other children. The child will probably get to read it somehow and then start challenging the credibility of the parent and possibly the religious standpoint that condemned it. That is somewhat regrettable since it then calls into question in the child's mind values that might be important. They will be questioning if anything a parent or their religion says has validity. I think this whole thing will die a natural death. Actually, all this noise about the satanic elements in Harry Potter probably fueled its popularity in the early days--and, incidentally, made a lot of anti-Harry Potter authors very rich so I guess in the end everyone made out well.
New User
lyletilton
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

harry books mean more to me than just books its like the ulimate battle of good and eivl and a person finding out who they are inside and where thier alliance lies to fight power beyond them and anyone can relate to that when i finnesh book 7 i will cry and cry
BY LYLETILTON
New User
phatrose
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

Well said and I agree with your comments!
I was living in Italy during the time that the first 3 books were published and I remember that we all were reading them (at least all of my cronies were). When I returned to the States and heard all of the hype and was chastised by Christian friends who hadn't read the books but thought I was crazy for reading them, I thought, "Yea, I'm back home!"
(Southern United States) I am very much a Christian, but I do not believe that these books are harmful and I would recommend them to anyone who wants an exciting and enjoyable read with substance!
New User
phatrose
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

Hey Lyletilton,

I thought it was just me!!!!! I was feeling sick the other day and I found myself praying, "Lord, please let me read the last Harry Potter book!"

That battle between good and evil continues. It is very visible in our world right now and finding out who we are and being able to stand in our own beliefs has become increasingly important.
New User
bookmom1973
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

I found the first two Harry Potter books in a book club form and when they came in the mail I was hooked! It was when my son was a baby and Harry Potter helped me deal with all the new and weird stress that comes from being a new mom. When the third book came out I could only get to Wal-Mart to buy it and I got the last one! My mother-in-law thought I was crazy, walking around the store clutching the book, afraid to lay it down in the cart in case someone stole it, but she's so anti-books it isn't funny. Harry Potter helped me through depression and all sorts of things. These stories are always there for me when I need them, whether I am happy or sad. I always say that if I am stranded on a deserted island, I would have to have all of my Harry Potter books, and french fries! I can always come back to these books and find parts I don't remember, like new little treasures. I get so excited when I find someone to talk to who loves Harry Potter.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
Posts: 579
Registered: ‎02-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

[ Edited ]
What does Harry mean to me?

Never be afraid to be who you are- unless you're Voldermort of course :smileywink:
Enjoyment on the long train rides to work and school.
A Great Discussion on the boards.
Wonderfull FanFic stories.
A boy who can do anything, if he puts his mind to it.
How important Frienship is.
How to love.
Right or Easy
My Love for Rupert Grint :smileywink:
Why I love reading.
To never Sinke Beneath my anguish, but battle on...
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Really I could go on, Harry Potter just makes me smile... on the inside and the out.
And no matter what happens in the last book, it's a Happy Feeling that would never have me doubt my ability to produce a Patronus... But hey, that's just me.




phatrose wrote:
Hey Lyletilton,

I thought it was just me!!!!! I was feeling sick the other day and I found myself praying, "Lord, please let me read the last Harry Potter book!



Lol, could you imagine a doctor telling you, you don't have long to live on like July 19th, and the first thing you say is, do you think I'll make it to Saturday, so I can read Harry Potter?? It probabaly wouldn't be funny if it were actually happening to you, but I'm sure the Doctor's face would be priceless...
-

Message Edited by Proper-T on 06-04-200707:26 PM

Message Edited by Proper-T on 06-04-200707:27 PM

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
New User
Captivating_Persona
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-05-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!



Nadine wrote:

The_Sibyl wrote:
Most definitely.

However, the radicalists who attempt to ban Harry Potter from being read because it supposedly perpetuates the occult are, I think, deluded. These people seem to miss the entire point of the series to focus on a single detail like witchcraft, without noticing that the books are really a great struggle between good and evil, and in fact, that the books emphasize values like loyalty, courage, kindness, and determination, all of which are values emphasized in THEIR OWN RELIGION.

Second, a lot of the people attempting to ban Harry Potter.......have never read Harry Potter.....never even attempted to pick the book up, and see what it was really all about.....sad, but true. That's just close-mindedness, really.




I think this topic must be getting weak with those who object to Harry Potter. Soon they will be the only ones who have never read Harry Potter. It is hard to deny a book with such a following. The final book and the OotP movie will completely dominate everything in July and now a new Theme Park in Orlando Florida puts it on par with Disney. How can a parent keep denying a book to child when the book is being read and talked about by virtually most of the other children. The child will probably get to read it somehow and then start challenging the credibility of the parent and possibly the religious standpoint that condemned it. That is somewhat regrettable since it then calls into question in the child's mind values that might be important. They will be questioning if anything a parent or their religion says has validity. I think this whole thing will die a natural death. Actually, all this noise about the satanic elements in Harry Potter probably fueled its popularity in the early days--and, incidentally, made a lot of anti-Harry Potter authors very rich so I guess in the end everyone made out well.


actually, it can be inerpreted as religious in the symbolism of serpents and darkness and 'the Dark Lord' being trampled and defeated by 'The chosen one'. No one tries to even talk about that one.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!


Captivating_Persona wrote:


The_Sibyl wrote:
Most definitely.

However, the radicalists who attempt to ban Harry Potter from being read because it supposedly perpetuates the occult are, I think, deluded. These people seem to miss the entire point of the series to focus on a single detail like witchcraft, without noticing that the books are really a great struggle between good and evil, and in fact, that the books emphasize values like loyalty, courage, kindness, and determination, all of which are values emphasized in THEIR OWN RELIGION.



actually, it can be inerpreted as religious in the symbolism of serpents and darkness and 'the Dark Lord' being trampled and defeated by 'The chosen one'. No one tries to even talk about that one.




Actually it can be interpreted any way you want, especially if you are choosing specific details as The_Sibyl pointed out, to make your point. Of course you could make your point with any book if you pick it apart that way instead of looking at the whole thing. I personally think people should form their own opinions and interpret things their own way. No one wants to be told how to think and feel. I don't care if others don't want to read these books but don't tell me I can't read them. And if others don't like them that's fine too but you might be able to make a more educated decision if you actually read them first. Just a thought. :smileywink:
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
Posts: 2,456
Registered: ‎10-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!


Captivating_Persona wrote:

actually, it can be inerpreted as religious in the symbolism of serpents and darkness and 'the Dark Lord' being trampled and defeated by 'The chosen one'. No one tries to even talk about that one.
------------------------------------

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of this as a Christian allegory. The "Dark Lord" and "serpent" do seem to fit Satan and Harry as "The Chosen One" does seem to fit as a "Christ" figure.
New User
turkeyisdelicious
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the "What Harry Means to Me..." Board!

I first started reading Harry Potter when I was just out of college, and starting a my first job. It was a major transition phase in my life, and Harry became - and still is - that much more of an escape. I used to read it before work started and during lunch, but I was careful to hide the covers because I didn't want attorneys to see me reading a children's book. This was the "real world" after all, and I had to act like it. It may sound weird coming from a 23 year old, but HP changed my life. HP is genuine - he stays true to himself and fights for what he believes in. He knows right from wrong and can distinguish it amongst his friend's actions as well as in the face of the popular crowd. I just think that, as a kid, if I would have read HP earlier, I would have been a stronger person today. I don't mean I'd start a WWHD? campaign, but it's like my own little source of inspiration. This all might seem a little silly, and when I've tried to explain that to my boyfriend, he gives me a weird look, but anyone can find something they connect with in any medium - mine just happens to be a character in a children's book.
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 518 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: