Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: What Harry P. means to me

Wow, Gryffindor--that's terrific. I know any author would be particularly honored and pleased to hear that.

~ConnieK, "13 days until we know the end"

GryffindorGinger wrote:
He means alot to me because Harry Potter Series is what helped produce my love of reading.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

aluna wrote:
I have always loved to read ever since I was old enough. But no other books compare to the Harry Potter books...I just fall in love with them every time I read them, even for the 10th time! I love getting lost in that world, and I love the way that she ties in things from book one to book six and leaves little clues, I love how even though I have read them a million times I still find new things each time!! I have never read an author who can write like her. And what I love more than anything is I love the way that she is showing kids that reading can be fun and I have seen kids who have never wanted to read before staying up all night reading these books!!

I completely agree. Every time I read each one, i love it. One time, I stayed up from 3 am- 8 am reading PoA.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
New User
cookiemonster3000
0 Kudos

He means a boy that has questions and needs answers. For example about his parents and who put his name in the goblet of fire.
New User
cookiemonster3000
0 Kudos

Re: What Harry P. Means to me

Exactly. They are page turners
New User
Witchy_Woman1107
0 Kudos

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Neville, Fred and George. They aren't just characters in series to me. They are my friends. I've been there with them through three-headed dogs, discovering a talent at a previously unknown sport, giant spiders, and finding a godfather. I've watched the blooming of a relationship, and the horror of curses. The experiments and the start of a business. I felt a family's pain at the prospect of losing a father and husband. I teared up at the loss of a short-lived parental relationship and it broke my heart to witness the horrid realization that a mentor is gone forever. I was there through it all and they were there for me; to get me through rough times. They made me laugh when I was really down. They really are great and loyal friends. It tears me up that we all have to say goodbye in just a few days. The anticipation has grown for years to know the final outcome of the great and now it's here(practically). It will soon be over and we will never again experience the anticipation of a book about a boy wizard and the terrors he faces. My throat burns as I hold back my tears. I love these people and I will be extremely sad to see them go.
Frequent Contributor
siriusfan
0 Kudos

I just want to say that I don't love Harry in particular but I love his world. I wish magic was real. I wish that I could go to Hogworts. I was a horible reader before I read the harry potter books then I began to really injoy reading. I love the world of Harry Potter. I love to get away from it all by following Harry and his friends on there next advencher.
I can't spell, just remember that and we'll get along fine... mostly...
Contributor
xoxocutiexoxo
0 Kudos

Those books just catch ur eye....... theyre really interesting... i started reading umm lyk ... cant even remember
..::ME::..
New User
potterboy7
0 Kudos

Ever since I learned about Harry Potter when the first movie came out, my whole life changed. I started reading the books when i was about 5. After awhile, I figured jkrowling.com, harrypotter.com, mugglenet.com (HP fan website), and a whole bunch of HP rpgs (Role Playing Game), and a bunch of other stuff. To me, Harry Potter is like my life. Without it, I think I would be boared to death. Everyday I go on Harry Potter websites to see the latest news and look at some Harry Potter limited edition items. People say that Harry is going to die and He Who Must Not Be Named is going to win. I don't think Harry would ever do that, I think Harry's going to battle for wizards, for Hogwarts, for his friends. I think Harry is going to sacrifice his life to kill He Who Must Not Be Named and the Death Eaters. I don't think Harry is some stupid wizard who doesn't know what he's doing, I think Harry is a loyal, trustworthy friend who would do anything to keep his friends and the wizard body from dying. As you can see from this reply, Harry Potter is my life, without him, I'm nothing but just an avrage, boring, kid...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

potterboy7 wrote:
Ever since I learned about Harry Potter when the first movie came out, my whole life changed. I started reading the books when i was about 5. After awhile, I figured jkrowling.com, harrypotter.com, mugglenet.com (HP fan website), and a whole bunch of HP rpgs (Role Playing Game), and a bunch of other stuff. To me, Harry Potter is like my life. Without it, I think I would be boared to death. Everyday I go on Harry Potter websites to see the latest news and look at some Harry Potter limited edition items. People say that Harry is going to die and He Who Must Not Be Named is going to win. I don't think Harry would ever do that, I think Harry's going to battle for wizards, for Hogwarts, for his friends. I think Harry is going to sacrifice his life to kill He Who Must Not Be Named and the Death Eaters. I don't think Harry is some stupid wizard who doesn't know what he's doing, I think Harry is a loyal, trustworthy friend who would do anything to keep his friends and the wizard body from dying. As you can see from this reply, Harry Potter is my life, without him, I'm nothing but just an avrage, boring, kid...

In my opinion, no kid is "average and boring", potterboy7. I'll bet you love Harry Potter because deep inside you know there are aspects of you that are similar to Harry, like the desire to be a good and loyal friend or the desire to make the world a better place by fighting against injustice. Once there are no more new books with Harry as the hero, it will be time for you yourself to find the hero inside you and live your life based upon all the wonderful principles you learned in the Harry Potter story... you, too, can be a hero... you could, for example, help people who are being bullied by others... and in a small way you, too, could make the world a better place to live in...
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Oh, goodness, potterboy7--First of all, welcome to the B&N Harry Potter Book Clubs! I hasten to say that I'm sure you are *anything* but "average" and "boring!" I'm glad you have enjoyed the books but remember they are books--just paper and ink. Without the power *you* give to the story as a reader, they aren't worth much at all just on their own--do you see? It's readers and their imaginations who bring Harry to life. As a writer myself who has published books, I can tell you that Ms. Rowling would be delighted to hear that you enjoy her story as much as you do. But I can also tell you that she knows how much she needs you to make Harry come alive and keep him alive. She could have written that book and nobody could have read it at all, you know? It's *you* who has the power within you to make Harry mean so much. Books are an interactive experience--a writer writes a story, but it's nothing unless a reader picks it up and makes it come alive. The power you feel that Harry has is power that you have within *you.* Remember that Harry felt as average and boring as you do--and look what he has been able to accomplish! There's probably a message in there for all readers! Take care of yourself when the book comes out in a few short days. We'll be here on the boards if and when you'd like to share how you feel with other HP fans.

One of my favorite quotes from the series is from Dumbledore's note to Harry that came with the Invisibility Cloak, "Use it well." Whatever good qualities you draw from these books that you read and were so devoted to as you grew up, that's my advice to you: "Use it well."

~ConnieK, 5 days until we all know!

potterboy7 wrote:

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-15-2007 01:24 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Aww, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like I just ate a kitten.

But really, all kidding aside, that is very, very sweet Connie. :smileyvery-happy:

ConnieK wrote:
One of my favorite quotes from the series is from Dumbledore's note to Harry that came with the Invisibility Cloak, "Use it well." Whatever good qualities you draw from these books that you read and were so devoted to as you grew up, that's my advice to you: "Use it well."

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Thank you, ShadowCougar. That's nice of you to say. I do think it's important to take whatever magic each of us has found in Harry Potter and "Use it well."

~ConnieK, 5 days

ShadowCougar wrote:
Aww, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like I just ate a kitten.

But really, all kidding aside, that is very, very sweet Connie. :smileyvery-happy:

ConnieK wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
thebigz
0 Kudos

I was always getting yelled at by my step dad and getting beaten up by my half sister (my version of Dudley) I could never escape until i started reading. Harry Potter definitely took me as far away from my step dad yelling at me as humanly possible. And then as if God knew I'd need something to keep me going after the series was done,my mom and step dad got a divorce just before the 7th book came out. I dont want to let go of the stories that got me through the toughest time of my life, but I'm glad they were there. I just want to thank J.K. Rowling for coming up with the idea of the boy who lived and writing it down on that napkin in tyhat irish pub all those years ago...
Frequent Contributor
sunny4328
0 Kudos

I'm 31 and read the first one ages ago, when it was first becoming popular. Honestly, I read them to see what the big fuss was about. It was when they were being banned by people who believed they were about witchcraft. Remember that big hoopla back in 2000? And I just fell in love with the stories, of course. And I'm SO SO happy that these "witchcraft" books break every record possible in sales. Proves how much worth they really are. Who cares if they are about magic...they're fiction!
~Kristy
McKinney, TX
New User
brunothepenguin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Harry Potter meant so much to me, and he still means so much more. He was the main character in my favourite book series, and a true hero. He stuck it out though everything, and that inspired me. No matter what, he wanted to protect the ones he loved, and I truly respect that. Looking back at everything he has lived through, everything he has gone through in this wonderful series...I compare myself to him. I see how much I have in common with him, and it's almost scary. Sure, I haven't lost anyone that I loved to death or to a war or anything, but we have one true thing in common above all: the power of love. I look at Harry, and see so much: strength, determination, wisdom, love...and so I use all that I see to make myself a better person. Harry Potter helps me move on in life, and he makes me feel like I'm not alone. He fights for what is right and for what has to be done, and I think that is so great! His friends are like my friends: never leaving me alone, always helping me and comforting me...and then we'll all grow old together, laugh about all of our distant happy memories, and we die...but we'll die together...

I'm going to miss you and your books, Harry Potter, but know this: No matter how old the series gets, and now matter how many people forget about the books, you shall always be alive and full of power in my mind...

~*Long Live Potter*~

Message Edited by brunothepenguin on 08-02-2007 06:30 PM
It's not Adam and Eve, it's Adam and Steve!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

thebigz--Rowling herself has said in interviews that escaping into Harry's world saved her during difficult times in her life as well. Take care.

~ConnieK

thebigz wrote:
I was always getting yelled at by my step dad and getting beaten up by my half sister (my version of Dudley) I could never escape until i started reading. Harry Potter definitely took me as far away from my step dad yelling at me as humanly possible. And then as if God knew I'd need something to keep me going after the series was done,my mom and step dad got a divorce just before the 7th book came out. I dont want to let go of the stories that got me through the toughest time of my life, but I'm glad they were there. I just want to thank J.K. Rowling for coming up with the idea of the boy who lived and writing it down on that napkin in tyhat irish pub all those years ago...

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 1,120 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: