Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BG
Contributor
BG
0 Kudos

What Harry P. means to me

He means alot to me partly becaus of his frendship w/ his friends.
Frequent Contributor
Celestial_Skies
0 Kudos

Re: What Harry P. means to me

[ Edited ]
How did you get started reading the series?

Message Edited by Celestial_Skies on 06-09-2007 06:27 PM
New User
kaylee_ann
0 Kudos

i had a bad childhood so harry and the magic world was a chance to exscape for a while.....i wish that the magic world was realy
*kaylee_ann*
New User
bfravel
0 Kudos

Reading the Harry Potter books made me want to be an English teacher. After I read the first book I fell in love with reading. I realized that reading could be so much more than what teachers threw at kids.I thank JK Rowling for realizing what my passion is now, and in a year when I graduate from college I hope I can teach other students the things I learned from reading the Harry Potter books.
Contributor
aluna
0 Kudos

I have always loved to read ever since I was old enough. But no other books compare to the Harry Potter books...I just fall in love with them every time I read them, even for the 10th time! I love getting lost in that world, and I love the way that she ties in things from book one to book six and leaves little clues, I love how even though I have read them a million times I still find new things each time!! I have never read an author who can write like her. And what I love more than anything is I love the way that she is showing kids that reading can be fun and I have seen kids who have never wanted to read before staying up all night reading these books!!
Contributor
Willson
0 Kudos

I haven't read any of the HP books, but after reading these threads you all have convinced me to pick up the first book and start reading. I wasn't too impressed with the movies, so I never bothered with the books. If the books are as good as you rave about, I am in for a treat.
New User
Vocaldiva
0 Kudos

Willson wrote:
I haven't read any of the HP books, but after reading these threads you all have convinced me to pick up the first book and start reading. I wasn't too impressed with the movies, so I never bothered with the books. If the books are as good as you rave about, I am in for a treat.

I'm glad that you have picked up the books and are now reading them. After reading them go back and watch the movies,you will understand them better.
New User
spur_gurl24
0 Kudos

You should really read the books they are AWSOME!!!!! :smileyhappy: I finished the 6th one in two days!Thats how good it was!!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

first time reader

Willson wrote:

It's good to hear you're giving them a try. If you have any interest in this kind of story chances are you'll love these books. They appeal to all ages too. I have three teenagers and I've loved these books since the beginning. Let us know what you think. Happy reading!
New User
WisePiper
0 Kudos

Re: What Harry P. Means to me

[ Edited ]
Harry Potter means a lot to me. When my little sister was 6 months old my brothers and I were 4 and our parents died. We had to go live with our aunt and uncle. I hated my aunt and uncle so much. When Harry Potter started coming out I would lock myself in my room and read them. And then at night I would sometimes dream that I went to Hogwarts, and I was friends with Harry Potter. But when I woke up it would be another day of our aunt and uncle yelling at us. I began standing up to our aunt and uncle but they would hit me. Then 3 years ago I made a wish on a shooting star that we would be taken away from them. And 3 days after I made that wish it came true. Now I look back and think how much Harry Potter helped me. And the night I made the wish made me think that magic really does exist. Harry Potter gave me courage I thought that never in a million years I would have the type of courage Harry Potter gave me. Harry was so brave and courageous I envied him. Ever since I read the first book my brothers say said I've gotten braver. That's how I got my nickname Piper for piping up and standing up to my aunt and uncle. I love these books. And even now in a loving family I lock myself in my room and read Harry Potter.

Message Edited by WisePiper on 06-28-2007 11:18 AM

Message Edited by rkubie on 07-06-2007 12:09 AM
Hugs Loads Of Huggs
From
The Better Triplet
Athena "Piper"
New User
WisePiper
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by WisePiper on 06-28-2007 11:26 AM
Hugs Loads Of Huggs
From
The Better Triplet
Athena "Piper"
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Believe it or not, you're not alone in your background of escaping to Potterland from an unhappy life. I'm so glad your story ended so well; who says there's no such thing as magic! Keep on piping!

WisePiper wrote:
Harry Potter means a lot to me. When my little sister was 6 months old my brothers and I were 4 and our parents died. We had to go live with our aunt and uncle. I hated my aunt and uncle so much. When Harry Potter started coming out I would lock myself in my room and read them. And then at night I would sometimes dream that I went to Hogwarts, and I was friends with Harry Potter. But when I woke up it would be another day of our aunt and uncle yelling at us. I began standing up to our aunt and uncle but they would hit me. Then 3 years ago I made a wish on a shooting star that we would be taken away from them. And 3 days after I made that wish it came true. Now I look back and think how much Harry Potter helped me. And the night I made the wish made me think that magic really does exist. Harry Potter gave me courage I thought that never in a million years I would have the type of courage Harry Potter gave me. Harry was so brave and courageous I envied him. Ever since I read the first book my brothers say said I've gotten braver. That's how I got my nickname Piper for piping up and standing up to my aunt and uncle. I love these books. And even now in a loving family I lock myself in my room and read Harry Potter.

Message Edited by WisePiper on 06-28-2007 11:18 AM

Message Edited by rkubie on 07-06-2007 12:09 AM
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

I don't really remember why I started reading the Harry potter books. Oh, wait yeah, I do. I was in fourth grade and we had a point system for how tough/long a book was, and I won because of HP. Now, my fiends and I have numerous theories on what will happen in #7.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

I meant friends, not fiends. I made a typo
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
New User
buythebook
0 Kudos

I started reading the books because my young son at age 7 had an interest. He was a bit of wallflower. He, like Harry, has a scar over his one eye because he has a facial deformity. He has vision problems ( wears glasses) and has hearing problems but we didn't know about the hearing issues to much later. This why he was standoffish.

Harry felt like he didn't fit into his world, and regardless what was happening to him or around him he always tries to do his best and do the right thing. Even though there has been some concern about these children books from the conservative right I think Harry is a great role model. My son has enjoyed and gotten strength from the series although has yet to read book VI.

Later when I read about JK Rowling's inspiration was the death of her mom I found other things to marvel about in the book and characters. I think dealing with death of a loved one is one greatest challenges a person can have... and I think JKR wrote a series that folks will treasure for an eternity... what a beautiful and sad memorial to her mom.
New User
lady_reddagon13
0 Kudos

Ok. what Harry means to me? well i know it sounds pathethic but Harry Potter is LIFE. i was first a big Harry Potter skeptic. i had heard about on Live with Regis and Kathie Lee (yeah back when she was on instead of Kelly). and i am very eclectic in my religous beliefs and had been studying paganism. and well i was afraid that it was going to be irreverent to the religon. but one Halloween i happened to dress up as witch and help my roomate who is an elementry school teacher out with her Halloween party. and since i Was dressed up as witch she asked me to read to the kids and they happened to be reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. well they were on the chapter about when Hagrid takes Harry to Diagon Alley. and i fell in love book. so i started reading it on my own. and from then on i was hooked.i now have many Harry Potter memorabillia including a whole Hogwarts Uniform. i am 30 years old but look about 16-17 and well since i am dark skinned i usualy say im one of the Patil twins. but i have also most of my life been a amature writer. and i have created my own characters and have written a fanfic staring these characters. and even my id lady_reddragon13 is based on those characters. thier last name is Reddragon. i have read each of the books many times and have even purchased the britsh versions. and i have heard that they are creating a Harry Potter theme park. well it is my goal in life to work there. so if you ever get to go i will be the dark skinned girl named Tori Rae, DesiRae, Ivy Rae, Sakura Rae, Akasha Rae, Melissa Rae or Tessa Rae. i mean who else can say that they get paid to live in their own little fantasy world?
lol.
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Harry Potter was like my best friend, when there was no one else, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were always there. I started reading them in about 2000.My friend was reading CoS on the playground (I was in 5th grade) and she told me what a good book it was so I marched into the school library and got a copy (back then you didn't have to have it on hold for 6 months before you got it.) I started reading and almost finished when she told me that it was the second one in the series so I stopped and got the first one at the book fair and read that one and then re-read the second one. In jr. high school I was exactly like Hermione, a know-it-all that wanted to prove that she really did know it all and was always trying to tell other people how to improve themselves. Needless to say I didn't have any friends. The one friend I did have ditched me and my reading teacher became my only friend. During that time I read Harry Potter and it got me through it. I have read the first book 17 times the second 17, the third 17 the fourth 11 the fifth 6 and the sixth 4. I can't imagine what my adolesence would be (have been) like if it hadn't have been for Harry Potter.
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

I was actually waiting for my letter on my 11th birthday. I knew it wouldn't come but deep down inside I was truthfully convinced that it would.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

That is SO touching, Ladybug!

~ConnieK, 14 days now until the book comes out.

Ladybuglver8115 wrote:
I was actually waiting for my letter on my 11th birthday. I knew it wouldn't come but deep down inside I was truthfully convinced that it would.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
GryffindorGinger
0 Kudos

He means alot to me because Harry Potter Series is what helped produce my love of reading.
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 333 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: