Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Community Room

Use this space for any off topic discussion.
Welcome to the community room.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

In the future I would like to read another book by Willa Cather? My Antonia was the
only book by Willa Cather that I read. What would you recommend? TIA
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I really liked The Professor's House, which is a nicely structured, short novel that she wrote 7 yrs after My Antonia.

I'd also like to know what other Cather books people like.

Here's a description of The Professor's House from this cite
http://cather.unl.edu/scholarship/mt/Spring2003/profhouse.html:

"First appearing in 1925, The Professor’s House tells the story of university professor Godfrey St. Peter, whose growing resistance to the economic bickering and consumerist tendencies he encounters in colleagues and family ripens into general despondency. Cather divided her novel into three parts. The first describes the professor’s relationship to his family; the third presents the enervation and partial restoration of the professor’s joie de vivre. Inserted between these two sections is “Tom Outland’s Story,” an account, told in Tom’s voice, of his discovery of archeologically rich cliff dwellings in the American southwest, and of his failure to preserve the artifacts against a rising tide of venality."

johanna49 wrote:
In the future I would like to read another book by Willa Cather? My Antonia was the
only book by Willa Cather that I read. What would you recommend? TIA

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
mef6395
0 Kudos

Re: other Cather books

I have read one other Cather novel: ALEXANDER'S BRIDGE. It is likewise excellent.
Users Online
Currently online:111 members 606 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: