Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whisperlynn
0 Kudos

Re: 2012 Monday Challenge: A First Line Every Week

Colette never heard the rooster crow, nor felt the warm beams of sunlight that swept through her bedroom window from just beyond the French Alps, but somehow every morning she awoken swiftly to the sound of her Grandmother kneading dough on the wooden counter top of the bakery downstairs. 

Contributor
WrenWilde
0 Kudos

The pavement was slick, shiny from the recent rain that washed away the late autumn snow, plastered filth clung like mottled flesh to its oily surface.

Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

"Riley, run!" It is pitch black outside, and freezing cold. Gunfire. Bullets graze the sides of their heads, coming within inches of being lethal. The two others have fallen behind. The ones that made it can't stop running, or risk a bullet through the brain.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

I’m telling you, there’s nothing to this job. Line ‘em up right and straight, don’t get in the way of the ball, and don’t wave to the customers. 

[So, so late this week. But you're not: The batch of lines this week are awesome! Great work everyone.]

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Dan_Diego
0 Kudos

Jodie mounted the wide angle lens to the camera body, turned to her best friend and said, "I can tell twenty photos into the wedding whether the marriage will last or not."

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Ariel swallowed the mouthful of sweet vanilla decadence; returning the cupcake to the plate with a satisfied smile...Here's to the little victories in life she thought and then noticed the smear of red marring the pristine cream twist of her remaining cupcake; it was back.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Jake stood dumbstruck muttering the over an over that monsters are not real but what creature just killed his father?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

I’m not one to brag, but my stockinette stitch is better than Maggie’s and if she delivers just one more back handed compliment about my scarf at Stitch Club, well, let’s just say I might get decidedly un-knitterly with her.

Contributor
DrayTheDoctor
0 Kudos

I like this idea and count me in.
A waste is a terrible thing to mind. Read, Write, Live and Love.
The nook Revolution share the experience.
Darkkin

[ Edited ]

As a girl, for one can no longer call her little, although she is still quite small, she knew a great many things; secrets gleaned from an innocent face and whispering stars, a rumor carried by a mouse, a riddle of thorns, a verse written by the nightingale, the mysteries of the rain; one and all and all and one, know them, she did...Such was Violet's way.

Dan_Diego
0 Kudos

He was dubbed the Emoticon Killer because each of his victims in the Writing Room had used the little yellow smiley things in their posts.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
(Ohhh I like that one Diego!) Beth screamed in pain as the ring she just sliped on came alive with vengance.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

It’s not that I expect perfection at the diner counter, but Lacy wasn’t even trying to get my food in front of me while it was still hot.

Frequent Contributor
chad

Brandi_R wrote:

It’s not that I expect perfection at the diner counter, but Lacy wasn’t even trying to get my food in front of me while it was still hot.

:smileyvery-happy:I actually use the name in my novel I'm writing---your line reminds me of a restaurant maxim I came across in my journies: "Hot food hot! Cold food cold!" 

Sorry about my lack of participation, I actually have been sick with a cough. I guess I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. I thought I would also make a suggestion to new writers- try and develop sequels to your novel even if you don't want to write anymore- it added a little more dimension to my first novel....

Chad

Darkkin
0 Kudos

"You take her hand, Peregrine, take her hand and don't you dare let go.  Don't you dare!"  Archer bellowed as the thundering of hooves exploded in the air, rushing like a tide over the lee of the hill.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!"

But the red was all I could see.

Chad

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I couldn't believe the nightmare before my eyes this horrible pink nightmare.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Contributor
DrayTheDoctor
0 Kudos

Micah looked into the face of his brothers' girlfriend as she speaks to him. He drifted off into the sweetness of her tone. "I want you to make love to me." Reba said softly. Suddenly, Micah was transported back to planet earth and standing at attention.

Contributor
DrayTheDoctor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Perfect Start.... to what Shy Sista

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thanks. Uh just call me GS.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.