Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Re: 2012 Monday Challenge: A First Line Every Week

The man with the megaphone was clear: there would be no exit out of town on Route 12 for at least another twenty-four hours.

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

It was a small clustering of blossoms, pale pink and perfect, newly fallen to the pebbled beach, but it was enough, she had passed this way not a quarter of an hour prior.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

" You won't believe me but I sware when I turned to her screaming I saw a huge eagle carry off my daughter. "
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Jack set his whisky on the little table the last tenants had left on the porch.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

A cool ocean breeze blew under the porch of the general store, raising some of the attached flyers perpendiculary to the town bulletin board, making them appear to defy gravity and finally blowing with such strength that one bright red flyer tore cleanly off the board and floated down to the sandaled feet of Christopher Landsea, who quickly pinned the flyer with one foot, reached down with one hand and snatched the flyer out from under his sandal just before the breeze was about to die.

Chad

PS- What's the world's longest sentence? Oh well, anyway.....

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Laughter is a sapphire blue.

or

Laughter is a

sapphire

blue.

Chad

PS- This, interestingly, could be a first line to a poem, or just good as something like a haiku? Sometimes I'm done with just one line.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Yeah, they call me a list of names for robbing that bank , but they would have never known if you would have just kept you mouth shut.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

chad wrote:

A cool ocean breeze blew under the porch of the general store, raising some of the attached flyers perpendiculary to the town bulletin board, making them appear to defy gravity and finally blowing with such strength that one bright red flyer tore cleanly off the board and floated down to the sandaled feet of Christopher Landsea, who quickly pinned the flyer with one foot, reached down with one hand and snatched the flyer out from under his sandal just before the breeze was about to die.

Chad

Hi Chad,  That was really well done !  :smileyhappy:    Optic

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Although Wilson certainly had no recollection of making such a purchase, the presence of the emu in his kitchen could not be disputed.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

So these were the eyes of the ghost, she that sang in the heart of the gale, dwelling in the deepest fathoms...

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

optic_i wrote:

chad wrote:

Chad

Hi Chad,  That was really well done !  :smileyhappy:     It's the first line to my very first novel, "The Heart of a Shark" - so it was what I would consider to be "novel quality" writing- the kind we pay for- isn't that awful? But novel quality effect achieved- thanks! Chad

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

chad wrote:

optic_i wrote:

chad wrote:

Chad

Hi Chad,  That was really well done !  :smileyhappy:     It's the first line to my very first novel, "The Heart of a Shark" - so it was what I would consider to be "novel quality" writing- the kind we pay for- isn't that awful? But novel quality effect achieved- thanks! Chad

Hi Chad, Novel quality indeed !  

Good Luck  with your book !   :smileyhappy:   Optic 

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

chad wrote:

An interesting question that's been on my mind since I read your post. I imagine it depends upon what kind of sentence you're looking for. Anyone can string together a lot of words to try and claim the top prize. Perhpas we're looking for the longest sentence in literature. Apparently there's some debate about this. I've read there's a sentence in Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!  that weighs in at 1,288 words. I've read the novel, but didn't do any word counting, so I can't attest to that detail's credibility.

Interestingly, here's a short story that's one long sentence: “Space, Whether, and Why." It's 1,394 words. 

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

"Space, Whether and Why"

"That was great!- The punctuation breaks it, but no periods and no paragraphs- which was pretty clever. Too heavy a reliance on psychology and psychiatry- done well here, I might add....:smileyvery-happy:

Chad

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: "Space, Whether and Why"

[ Edited ]

An indigo sail, molten kissed,

Billowing out to a full and mighty breadth,

Unfurled and blowing, small rents peek and glow,

Eyes of stars opened by a comet's flight.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Before the cuse turned it bitter and black I loved to sail the sea, now I only do it to save her.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

...Such were the faded words on the tattered page, a fragment of a forgotten dream drifting with the wind...

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I looked past the rifle and into his cold dark eyes thinking, asking myself "is his heart, is his blood just as cold?"
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

It's 4 AM and I've forgotten how to sleep again. 

Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.
Contributor
Zalen_Redlaw
0 Kudos

The folks in the little settlement I wandered into didn’t take kindly to strangers and I knew didn’t have a hope, what with my worn weather-beaten clothes and empty pockets—empty except for this odd shaped gold nugget I kicked up in the dust about a mile out of town.