Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

Re: 2012 Monday Challenge: A First Line Every Week

My brother, bless his bumbling heart, is an idiot, a lovable, overbearing one, but an idiot nonetheless; this must be firmly understood if anything good is to come of this tale.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Ages of dust, dirt, and mildew clung to everything in the old abandon barn exept one imposible set of footprints leading out, but how did they get in?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Darkkin

This child, she has a gift, a rare capacity to love unconditionally, to laugh without fear, to smile through the pain of the world around her, to forgive the deepest of wrongs, to know the true, pure joy of life; she knows a secret of the ages.  - Aster, Child of the Hinterlands

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

I just missed Monday!

Can't wait for next Monday!  Very interesting and creative post!

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

tiffany57 wrote:

I just missed Monday!

Can't wait for next Monday!  Very interesting and creative post!

Yes, jump in when you're ready!

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Darkkin
0 Kudos

To some it was a wagon in pieces on the porch, to another it was a beginning, a place to start.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Miss Gray pulled into the lot five minutes after the session was supposed to start.

Wordsmith
writerfire
0 Kudos

I checked my buckles one last time before taking a leap off the cliff.

The best surprize is one left untold.
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Freeways weren’t my favorite. Put a kid with just a few hours behind the wheel on a road like that and there go a few weeks off my life. Every time.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

"No man is an island, it is said..."  She grinned.  "But then again, I am no man."

Darkkin

The day dawned cold and dark, the clouds spewing an icy mist as the small group gathered around the hole torn from the raw earth; it was an end and a beginning as tears became lost in the fog.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

"No, we tried," Lisa said. "Don't think you can sit there and say we didn't."

Darkkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In the heart of a dark, dark place folded within the bowels of a deep, deep world there is a rose.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Dark was closing in on Finn and he still hadn’t found his dog.

Inspired Contributor
WildBlossom
0 Kudos

The noble warrior stepped forward,

"I'm the one you're looking for."

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and sit back and let the world wonder how you did it.
P.S. Thank you if you ever give any of my stories a Laurel:smileywink: It encourages me when someone else likes it, not just myself.
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Anne had lived her entire life through that window, and now what she had seen, what she knew could spell her doom.

Inspired Contributor
WildBlossom
0 Kudos

"You are the warrior I've been looking for?" Laughing, the cat wasn't sure if he could believe such a small, helpless looking warrior, "Yeah right. Prove it." he challenged.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and sit back and let the world wonder how you did it.
P.S. Thank you if you ever give any of my stories a Laurel:smileywink: It encourages me when someone else likes it, not just myself.
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Quilts were stacked in her basement, folded and stuffed in the rafters of the garage and tacked up on the walls of her home, both inside and out.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Aria was caught in a battle not of her choosing, but that of fate's; a freak mutation, double dominant, a time bomb in her chest waiting to explode.  This was no novel, this was her life...

Inspired Contributor
WildBlossom
0 Kudos

"If it's proof that you seek, then so be it." replied the warrior.

Leaping forward, he landed on the unsuspecting cat, knocking him onto his back and scratched him across the face.

"Is that enough proof that I am the warrior you're looking for?" he challenged.