Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
H-Butterfield
0 Kudos

Re: A favorite quote: Please add yours.

I have a few favorites.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words can get you in a lot of trouble." Changeling by Delia Sherman.

"Let us go forth, the teller of tales, and seize whatever prey the heart long for, and have no fear. Everything exists, everything is true, and the earth is only a little dust under our feet." Irish Fairy Tales by Leslie Conron

I like this one because it's a little riddle. The question is how old is he?

"Now, of my threescore years and ten, Twenty will not come again, And take from seventy springs a score, It only leaves me fifty more." Loveliest of Trees by A. E. Housman.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

"Often the less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it."  Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sleeves_Rolled_Up wrote:

'A dream of a shadow is man.'

Pindar 

Dreams are foam -  a German proverb, plus

"Out, out, brief candle!"  William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Frequent Contributor
Sleeves_Rolled_Up
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

Sleeves_Rolled_Up wrote:

Pindar 

Also from Pindar:

"Creatures of a day!"

The Cambridge List: a wickedly funny novel of gods, sex and death.
http://www.the-cambridge-list.blogspot.com
Contributor
BizGirl_Writes2
0 Kudos

So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads. -- THEODORE GEISEL, "DR. SEUSS"

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." -- George Eliot

http://emilythorne.com
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Sleeves_Rolled_Up wrote:

carusmm wrote:

Sleeves_Rolled_Up wrote:

Pindar 

Also from Pindar:

"Creatures of a day!"

Who is he calling a creature, his mother?

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

BizGirl_Writes2 wrote:

So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads. -- THEODORE GEISEL, "DR. SEUSS"

Good advice from a master of wit.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it. - Terry Goodkind book 6 Throw the bar high as you can, for when you reach it again you don't have to throw so hard- GS2991
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

The Beatles said it first, said it best: 'Let it be...Let it be...Just let it be...'

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Reaching out for no man's land
To take a breath and take a chance
I'd walk a thousand nights to change the world
Where to go? When to start?
Who to trust? What to say?
Found them all, just need someone to share

It's now in the dusk every day to carry what
Ain't so strong, I ain't so strong to go
Living in the past is not the way to live
I wish you could hear me say that I miss you

Why were we there back to back?
Why were we there face to face?
I must be the light when you're in the dark
If you lose me somewhere, and your tears are in the air
I will ring a bell until you feel me by your side

Looking up into the sky, looking for the reason
Why I'm here, and why you can't be here
Who's to hate? Who's to blame?
Who's to hurt? Who's to love?
Who just asked 'Why we can't we be the same?'
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/bonnie_pink/ring_a_bell.html ]
Try to believe walking down the lonesome road
Ain't so far, I ain't so far from you
Staying the way you are means solitude
I wish you were here and shook off my fear

If I lose you somewhere, and I'm still hanging in there

What has been in the mix too long?
There's the peace when you're at war
Heads or tails, You and I
Light and dark, Ups and downs
What has been in the mere goal? What's there to divide us?
If you're hurt, cry and say 'can't you see your my other half?'

If you lose me somewhere, and your tears are in the air

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

carusmm wrote:

BizGirl_Writes2 wrote:

Good advice from a master of wit.

"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Not so much advice but a commandment.

shadowcat80

"The firebird's body wilt and got weaker and weaker until there was a glimmer of light, then the avian burst in flames leaving a pile of ashes in its wake.  Within the ashes came forth new life.  For the Phoenix is reborn"  Legend of the Phoenix

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

@shadowcat:

I love this quote, I'm going to borrow it for my tag line.  Great to see you back on the board, too.  :smileywink: 

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
shadowcat80

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, green lantern's light"  Green Lantern Corp oath.

shadowcat80

"Someday, my people will come up with a directive, one that says what we can and can't do out here, but until then I am going to have remind myself everyday, we didn't come out here to play God"  Captain Archer episode Dear Doctor season 1 of Enterprise

Darkkin

"You know of me, of us...You are the Voice."  - Darkkin Lost, a Chronicle

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

shadowcat80

"As the dominant species on the Earth, I believe we are responsible to be the caretakers of this great world.  If our neighbors of fur, feathers, and scales could speak our tongue, they would tell them that this is our home too, stop messing it up for us all"  From a lecture by one of my professors.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

[ Edited ]

From The Princess Bride:

[Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.
Westley: No. To the pain.
Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.
Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
Prince Humperdinck: I think you're bluffing.
Westley: It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.
[slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]
Westley: DROP... YOUR... SWORD!
Prince Humperdinck: [Humperdinck's mouth hangs open, drops sword to floor]

Inigo Montoya: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
[Inigo advances on Rugen, but stumbles into the table with sudden pain. Rugen attacks, but Inigo parries and rises to his feet again]
Inigo Montoya: Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
[Rugen attacks again, Inigo parries more fiercely, gaining strength]
Inigo Montoya: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!
Count Rugen: Stop saying that!

From The Lord of the Rings:
Sam: [Both are overcome by exhaustion] Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!
Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!
(Making me tear up, and I'm just reading it!)

Gimli: [failing to see over the wall] What's happening out there?
Legolas: Shall I describe it to you?
Gimli: [turns] Hmm?
Legolas: Or would you like me to find you a box?
[Gimli laughs] :smileyvery-happy: (I laugh too! Every time!)

Pippin: [sings] Home is behind, the world ahead... And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight... Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade... all... shall... fade...

shadowcat80

Lord of the Rings

Sam "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, 'Don't leave him Samwise Gamgee' And I don't mean to.  I don't mean to."

Sam "Nothing important.  That is, I heard a good deal about a ring, and a Dark Lord, and something about the end of the world but, please Mr. Gandalf, Don't turn me into anything unnatural."

Gandalf "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early.  He arrives exactly when he means to"

Gandalf "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought." 

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

"If aliens are smart enough to travel through space, why do they keep abducting the dumbest people on earth?"--Anonymous (from What on Earth catalog. If it had been on a t-shirt, I would have bought it.)