Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin

Re: A favorite quote: Please add yours.

A conversation with my grandmother on the topic of aliens.  I was about five when I asked this question, but I still remember the answer:

Me: 'Is there such things as aliens?'

Grandma: 'No. God isn't a fool. Why create two races of idiots when one in more than enough.'

I can honestly state I have never had nightmares about aliens...LOL.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

shadowcat80

Darkkin wrote:

A conversation with my grandmother on the topic of aliens.  I was about five when I asked this question, but I still remember the answer:

Grandma: 'No. God isn't a fool. Why create two races of idiots when one in more than enough.'

Reminds me of the end of the galaxy song.  

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause I'm afraid we've been cheated here on Earth"

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

[ Edited ]

shadowcat80 wrote:

Darkkin wrote:

Reminds me of the end of the galaxy song.  

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, cause I'm afraid we've been cheated here on Earth"

Agent K said it and said it well:  'A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky, dangerous and you know it...'  - Agent K, Men in Black

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
shadowcat80

"We don't know what to do about Humans. Of all the species we've made contact with, yours is the only one we can't define. You have the arrogance of Andorians, the stubborn pride of Tellarites. One moment, you're as driven by your emotions as Klingons, and the next, you confound us by suddenly embracing logic."  Star Trek Enterprise Ambassador Soval episode the forge

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
shadowcat80

"It was an early earth president, Abraham Lincoln, who best described our situation. 'The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We cannot escape history. We will be remembered in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, or last best hope for Earth.'"

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ and we know many things."

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

[ Edited ]

I love the quote in my signature.

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
shadowcat80

"Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"  From Independence Day movie 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

I really like the movie Independence Day

New User
KeyWriter-Justice
0 Kudos

“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” Anais Nin
Sincerely, KeyWriter-Justice
shadowcat80

"With great power comes great responsibility"  If I have to tell you where that comes from you been living under a rock. LOL

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

"Mama's don't let you babies grow up to be laker fans, forget about Kobe, Phil and Lamar.  Make them love the Mavericks.  They are better by far.  Mama's don't let your babies grow up to laker fans.  It takes more then zen in order to win so victory belongs to Mavs"  LOL Don't believe me listen to Dirk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AddwFbCS8g

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

'Dictionary: Best book ever written...'  - Fleetfoot, the Tiresome.

shadowcat80

"We are not just cats, we're super cats!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_IIbT8HGk&feature=related

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

I say we go out there and kick a little demon ass! What, can't go without your Buffy? Is that it? Too chicken? Let's find her! She is the Chosen One, after all. Come on, vampires, rrrr, nasty! Let's annihilate them. For justice, and for... the safety of puppies, and Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something! Oh, come on!: Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Can anyone guess what I've been doing this morning :smileyhappy:? Alas, it now ends, for I have to go to work.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

'Don't mock the fear demon; it is vastly unbecoming...'  - Giles

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

Fleetfoot wrote:

'Don't mock the fear demon; it is vastly unbecoming...'  - Giles

Xander (taunting the fear demon): Who's the little fear demon? Come on, who's the little fear demon?
Giles: Don't taunt the fear demon.
Xander: Why? Can he hurt me?
Giles: No, it's just... tacky.

:smileytongue:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

I was close...:smileytongue:

'Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and other lobable items that cause havoc...'  - Fleetfoot, the Cheeky.

Darkkin

Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

- The Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Tolkien

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

From Finding Nemo:

Marlin: [Dory and Marlin are in pitch darkness looking for the mask] Dory, do you see anything?
Dory: Ahh! Something's got me!
Marlin: That's just me. I'm sorry.
Dory: Who's that?
Marlin: [exasperated] Who's that? Who else would it be? It's me!
Dory: Are... are you my conscience?
Marlin: [sighs] Yes, I'm your conscience. We haven't spoken for a while. How are you?
Dory: Eh, can't complain.
Marlin: Good. Now, Dory, do you see anything?
Dory: [angler fish's light approaches] Yes, I see... a light. Hey, conscience, am I dead?
Marlin: No, I see it too.

Dory: [about the humpback whale] Maybe he only speaks whale.
[slowly and deeply, imitating the whale]
Dory: Mooo... Weeee neeeed...
Marlin: Dory?
Dory: ...tooo fiiind hiiis sooon.
Marlin: What are you doing? Are you sure you speak whale?
Dory: Caaaan yoooou giive uuuus direeeeectioooons?
Marlin: Dory! Heaven knows what you're saying! See, he's swimming away.
Dory: Cooome baaaaack.
Marlin: He's not coming back. You offended him.
Dory: Maybe a different dialect. Mmmmoooooowaaaaah...
Marlin: Dory! This is not whale. You're speaking like, upset stomach.

Crush: Okay. Squirt here will now give you a rundown of proper exiting technique.
Squirt: Good afternoon. We're gonna have a great jump today. Okay, first crank a hard cutback as you hit the wall. There's a screaming bottom curve, so watch out. Remember: rip it, roll it, and punch it.
Marlin: It's like he's trying to speak to me, I know it.
[to Squirt]

Can anyone guess what I'm watching now :smileytongue:?

shadowcat80

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. [Everyone looking at him.] You Englishmen are always so... [pauses] Bloody hell! [Ticks off on his fingers] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks, oh God! I'm English!"  Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 6