Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jadescarlett
0 Kudos

A little scene

This is a scene from something longer that I'm writing, and I wanted to share it here... Dain is the son of the ruler of a pretty large island. Tyrai is the main character, she's a seventeen-year-old runaway, and her father ruled a part of that island. Thaki is the village boy that Tyrai realized she liked but nothing ever happened. They're at a dance/party/ball/whatever. enjoy! (or not) && feedback please or just random responses.

Tyrai then spotted someone approaching that made her want to bolt behind the nearest elephant statue and hide. Coming, she decided, had been even more of a bad idea than she thought it would be. It was none other than Dainon de Rikol, dressed in maroon and black, his brown hair loose and brushed back to give the impression that he had been running through the wind. He had an impassive smirk on his face, and now there was no doubt that he was coming at her. But it was too late to bolt.

“Didn’t know you’d be here,” he said, with a face of mock surprise.

“Well, I am,” she said levelly.

“So dance with me, de Srensi.” It wasn’t a question; it wasn’t quite an order, but it was certainly something he expected done. And there was really no practical reason to say no, except for the fact that he was a scumbag, but she couldn’t very well tell him that. Any deliberations on Tyrai’s part were ended by the princess, who shouted, “Go!” pushing Tyrai into Dain and spilling her drink in the process.

“Actually, didn’t expect to be seeing much of you at all, after you skipped town,” he muttered as he twirled her. Dain could dance, she’d grant him that. But what was his real agenda?

“Well, a lot’s happened since then,” she said coolly. Exactly what that was, she would not say. Although what did it matter? she thought. If anyone was looking for her, they would already have found her. That was the whole reason she hadn’t wanted to come to the ball. Besides the fact that she hated balls.

“Ah. Like what?”

“That’s not really your business.”

“Would you like to know what’s happened back on Sul?”

“If you care to tell me,” she said tersely.

“Cripsan’s gone.”

“What?”

“That cocoa boy of yours led a revolt and it worked. They all went off on a ship and are heading for bloody Kalien, Darmica.”

“Thaki isn’t mine,” she said automatically.

“Thaki, that’s the one. The name slipped my mind.” You never knew it, de Rikol.
“So you’re saying, I’ve nowhere to go back to?” Cripsan? Gone? She wasn’t sure what she thought of it. There were so many memories there; falling off a tree, being yelled at by her father for making friends with peasants, and… those little moments with Thaki in the treehouse. She mentally slapped herself. Thaki was gone too, off to Darmica on a ship. She hoped he’d find what he wanted there, but somehow she doubted it.

“Not unless you come back with me,” he said, his arm snaked around her waist. “There is still that proposition.”

“But I’ve no desire to go back,” she said, dipping backwards so he could catch her. “And certainly no desire to go through with that proposition. I’m sure you feel the same. And I’m sure your father wouldn’t want you to marry a lady whose father’s peasants have all leapt on a ship going across the ocean. What happened to my father, anyway?”

“Ran for it. Didn’t want to face mine. And although you dislike me so much”--- he spun her outwards and back in again, closer--- “you seem to be enjoying this quite a bit.”
“I merely don’t want to cause a public scene by bolting off,” she said with every bit of scorn she could muster. It didn’t deter him.

“And as for my father, since when am I his puppet?” he said. The song ended, and they stopped. He whispered in her ear, “Think on it, de Srensi. You like me.” Then he dropped her hands and was gone.