Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lily_sparkletoon
0 Kudos

Re: About The Writing Room

I read a few good books including one that you describe a memoirs. I know two authors even made a few fictional autobiographical novels. I joined an email list and ever so often review books. I also write them
Author of
Acoustical Poetry
Tales of Tara : Gabrielian Chronicles (soon to be released)
New User
Je-ss_y
0 Kudos

Hi everyone ,

I am new to this group.am Happy to find place where i can share my thou ghts about writing and big thanks to Barnes and Noble .I wrote once in college but they didn't like my writing .i think they didnt like it for two reasons ; mainly cos it delt with a taboo in my society and secondly cos it is weak writing .

Am eager to write and share my ideas .i think it is no harm if u write ugly and butfull sides of society in a romantic way and realistic way at the same time .

sorry if i put my emotion in my writing .by the way my native language is arabic not English but i love to write in English.
New User
Bellangel
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Angela and I have been working on a few children's stories. I like doing all kinds of writing but I have only taken steps to publish my childrens books. I hope tis group will be helpful to me and I hope that some of my experienes can help others.
New User
Bobbii
0 Kudos

I'm not sure how to go about this, so here goes. I've written a book this year and do alot of public speaking while selling the book. What I'd like is to get some input from other people. If any of you could visit my web page and let me know what you think I'd really appreciate it. www.bobbi-illing.com. Thank you for visiting this site.
Bobbi
New User
theNight_mysweetmisery_
0 Kudos

Hello fellow writers and authors to be. I'm so happy I found this writing room! I have a love or writing and I'm a very passionate reader. My mother says I'm very mature for my age because of the type of books I read (not counting my manga :]) Im 13(8th grade) and participate in Orchestra in which I play violin. I also participate in after-school activities that my school provides. It's called Power of the Pen and it is a club for skilled writers to share and create stories based on a prompt. I'm very excited to discuss my stories and share some ideas I might have and I would love to hear yours. I know I am young and maybe haven't had as much experience, but I feel the need to hear opinions about my stories and in return share some good advice. Thanks so much for reading my comment. I hope to help anyone if needed =].( please help me too!)

-Kendall3 夜、私の甘い悲惨さ。 (Im not japanese I'm taking it as a language in highschool (laugh)
Art doesn't have to be and isn't always a pretty picture. It can be ugly and grotesque. Such as words have a way to twist and make meaningful sentences out of just thin air. "My twisted thoughts carry me along beside the river. Alone to stare and wander in the darkness. agony streaked night. My sweet misery." -Kendall H. (me) Age: 13
New User
Uqtipie
0 Kudos

Hello
I'm new on this site so I thought I'd share a few thoughts.
My first book is at a publishers being edited and I'm very proud to say it has taken a long time but I made it.
My love of reading didn't start until my daughter (only child) was about ten. I found time at last to sit down and read. I started reading Howard Fast series starting with
The Immigrants it has four in that series I think. Mysteries are some of my favorites as well as true crime. A very good freind of my was murdered years ago. It amazes me the criminal mind what makes them so insane.
I'd love to write a children's series for my grandson. He is ten and has started his first book. He loves to create characters, that's what it's all about.
Being from the south I write about the southern lifestyle and use southern slang which to some may be hard to understand but after a few chapters Ya'll will be part of it.
I'm interested in people, how they think and what they do for a living.
I forgot to include my name on my intro its Wilma
Wilma
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

sup wilma!

my name's page. i'm 12.

see ya round

zip
"line?"
New User
sdelcueto
0 Kudos

Call for Entries

Theme / Latinos: We Speak Your Language

Have you written a paper, essay, short story or poem about Latinos involved in business, education, literature, the arts, health care, social justice, the social sciences in the world-at-large or right here in the local community? If so, consider submitting it to be part of the dialogue titled "Latinos: We Speak Your Language" at Northampton Community College. Multimedia presentations are welcome, too. The creators of selected entries will be invited to present their work at the College in the spring and/or to have it included in a body of work that will highlight the contributions that Latin Americans have made both locally and on the international stage.

The multi-year project is being coordinated by Sandra Del Cueto, a professor of Spanish at Northampton Community College. A past recipient of the Christensen Award for Excellence in Teaching at NCC, Del Cueto holds an endowed chair established in honor of NCC's second president, Dr. Robert J. Kopecek. With the stipend, Del Cueto hopes to raise awareness of the cultural and historical achievements and potential of Latin American people, to foster the integration of students' intellectual, cultural, personal and social experiences, and to provide a venue for students, faculty and staff to share their knowledge.

Submissions are welcome from middle school, high school, undergraduate and graduate students as well as from faculty and professionals in any field. Individuals need not hold advanced degrees in order to submit their work. Students with a worthy piece may participate regardless of their GPA. Bilingual submissions are welcomed. Selection is focused on quality work. The participation of individuals of all backgrounds is encouraged.

Send entries to Profesora Del Cueto, NEH Kopecek Endowed Chair, Northampton Community College, 3835 Green Pond Road, Bethlehem, PA 18020. Be sure to include an abstract (to be used as an introduction), your contact information, and some biographical information. Entries must be postmarked by December 31, 2007. Results will be announced by January 31, 2008.

Questions may be directed to Profesora Del Cueto at sdelcueto@northampton.edu.

Please forward this information to individuals who may be interested in sending us their work.

Regards,
Sandra Del Cueto
New User
sdelcueto
0 Kudos

Call for Entries

Theme / Latinos: We Speak Your Language

Have you written a paper, essay, short story or poem about Latinos involved in business, education, literature, the arts, health care, social justice, the social sciences in the world-at-large or right here in the local community? If so, consider submitting it to be part of the dialogue titled "Latinos: We Speak Your Language" at Northampton Community College. Multimedia presentations are welcome, too. The creators of selected entries will be invited to present their work at the College in the spring and/or to have it included in a body of work that will highlight the contributions that Latin Americans have made both locally and on the international stage.

The multi-year project is being coordinated by Sandra Del Cueto, a professor of Spanish at Northampton Community College. A past recipient of the Christensen Award for Excellence in Teaching at NCC, Del Cueto holds an endowed chair established in honor of NCC's second president, Dr. Robert J. Kopecek. With the stipend, Del Cueto hopes to raise awareness of the cultural and historical achievements and potential of Latin American people, to foster the integration of students' intellectual, cultural, personal and social experiences, and to provide a venue for students, faculty and staff to share their knowledge.

Submissions are welcome from middle school, high school, undergraduate and graduate students as well as from faculty and professionals in any field. Individuals need not hold advanced degrees in order to submit their work. Students with a worthy piece may participate regardless of their GPA. Bilingual submissions are welcomed. Selection is focused on quality work. The participation of individuals of all backgrounds is encouraged.

Send entries to Profesora Del Cueto, NEH Kopecek Endowed Chair, Northampton Community College, 3835 Green Pond Road, Bethlehem, PA 18020. Be sure to include an abstract (to be used as an introduction), your contact information, and some biographical information. Entries must be postmarked by December 31, 2007. Results will be announced by January 31, 2008.

Questions may be directed to Profesora Del Cueto at sdelcueto@northampton.edu.

Please forward this information to individuals who may be interested in sending us their work.

Regards,
New User
shortlink
0 Kudos

I'm in the same position as you except I have a daugther that is a Writing major. She writes so I get her to "review" my stuff. I was hoping this group would have people interested in sharing and reviewing each others writings.

I don't know if the Writing Room has an option for sharing of text, but that would be a good queston to the moderator. At worst case we can do it through email.

I'm open to reviewing and would like to participate where possible.
New User
Sweetfightgirl
0 Kudos

I have always been a writer but this time it is going to happen, I have nothing to distract me as I am disabled and have nothing better to do or excuses for when I am stuck! I am writing a memoir and hopefully a few other shorts to be published. I have taken some class through Gotham and look forward to more. I am upset they stopped the ones at the NJ B&N near me as I would love to have a group get together for sharing thoughts and ideas...I love recommendations on good books that help writers piece things together - not text books but real ones...any type fiction - non. I love all books and read them all since all writers and books deserve respect...granny taught me that little lesson. I am not so sure what this group is doing but I hope it is helpful and fun! Entertainment is low when you have been disabled at a young age and have a lot of time!

I have a blog as well which I can share later if you are interested about my struggles with a multitude of rare diseases all within four years...I also have another bunch of pieces about my childhood. I write about anything which helps. Journals help but I find you need to go back and fix them for books...everyone should try to do some sort of writing as it improves your writing and vice versa.

Happy reading/writing,
SFG
Sweetfightgirl =
I love sweets but more importantly that's the meaning of my name!
Book lover who is also writing her first memoir...
Disabled through horrible diseases at 29 left me finding creative ways to spend my time! Now a unpaid patient advocate = fight
Girl = because I will always be young at heart
As my grandmother, a librarian for 70 years, said "always read and you will learn but most of all respect the book and the author even if you don't like it or agree."
New User
Berryman101
0 Kudos

I just joined a book club today, so I am very new to this whole scene. I want to be a part of something and I love to read. I also want to be a writer some day, so I would like to participate in this group. My favorite books are Christian fiction, but I also enjoy horror and historical fiction. Please help me to become a part of what you have going on here.
Mindy
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

After writing for forty plus years, and reading both published and unpublished works critically for nearly as many, the best advice I can come up with for anyone seeking to write is: Forget about writing a book, a poem, a short story or whatever until you have fallen in love with, then practiced and mastered, the writing of a sentence. Most crap begins in crappy sentences, and ends there, and lives there because the writer's "vision" was more focussed on a big picture and not on well-presented crystaline brilliance of a minute (rhymes with Canute) chunk of info.

The crippling attitude shows everywhere in this discussion group: misspellings, bad punctuation, disconnected thoughts, inferential leaps that are impossible for a reader to make (but which the writer requires!) and just dull phrasing.

Reading is the fundamental requirement for all who would write, but somehow we've deduced that the purpose of reading is to master the craft of understanding a story, not making a story work. Perhaps it's a result of all those Lit professors who asked us to figure out the word that's missing in Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants." Not once did any professor make me look at the second word in the second sentence and ask me why the word is in the sentence, what does it do for the story, and how does it affect the eventual discovery of that missing word. If only one had, I would have understood more clearly the role of the writer in the story, which is the role I wanted to understand.

Read for sentences. Learn how the arrangement of sensory words affect the absorption of information; how a single adjective reveals a narrative point of view that will warp the veracity of the imparted information; how the use of "and" or "or" conjoins two disparate notions into one uncommonly acceptable notion; and how a reader's attention gets deflected from here to there, then to there, and then to over there, by the employment of pronouns.

This writer and critical judge sentences you would-be fictioners to a sentence of sentence making. Get thee gone.
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

If you have a specific comment for a specific piece offered here, please post it on the appropriate thread, as most writers here would gladly welcome constructive criticism. Sweeping judgments are rarely helpful to anyone.
Frequent Contributor
Benedict
0 Kudos

Chalie_B wrote:
After writing for forty plus years, and reading both published and unpublished works critically for nearly as many, the best advice I can come up with for anyone seeking to write is: Forget about writing a book, a poem, a short story or whatever until you have fallen in love with, then practiced and mastered, the writing of a sentence. Most crap begins in crappy sentences, and ends there, and lives there because the writer's "vision" was more focussed on a big picture and not on well-presented crystaline brilliance of a minute (rhymes with Canute) chunk of info.

I do not understand the reference to Canute, a King from the 1020's. Are you saying that big occomplishments can be made by paying attention to detail? Or is it just a whim(Tim rymes with whim)?
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

Benedict wrote:
I do not understand the reference to Canute, a King from the 1020's. Are you saying that big occomplishments can be made by paying attention to detail? Or is it just a whim(Tim rymes with whim)?

Actually, I was concerned that people might sound out "minute" as rhyming with "in it" than minute that rhymes with.... well, I'm sure you know.

Yeah, big accomplishments (like a novel) are made one good detail after another. And as a novel is a chain of sentences, why have your weakest link in that chain be the one you forged badly on your very own?
Contributor
Amulet
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. My story is a litle different. Although I have always loved reading, my passion for writing didn't develop until I hit middle age. But it hit bigtime; left my career in Information Technology and concentrated on becoming a writer. When I decided to write, I also made an invisible decision to search endlessly for a publisher and then, once I signed a contract, to market my work relentlessly. About half my time is consumed away from my novels, but it's worth it. When the words come together just right, it's a great feeling. My second novel - I write thrillers - will be released in April, so it's going to be a busy few months. These BN book clubs are a great diversion.
==============================================

Author of two near-future thrillers, Unholy Domain and PeaceMaker. Visit www.danronco.com
New User
ms_april_harris
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone
i'm april and i'm new to the writing room. I came across this looking for events and such at barnes and noble. i'm a writer (lol) as i think we all are. i've just self published my first novel, change of heart and i'm extremely excited about it. it's been a dream of mine for about ten years to have my work published. i know self publishing doesn't count in some people's eyes, but to see my book, my hard work, in print, well, it kinda brought tears to my eyes. i would love to post some excerpts from the book if anyonw is interested. in case you are wondering, i write urban romance novels. i'm working on the second one now.

i have a bunch of questions and i'm glad that there's a forum that might get some of them answered. but since this is my very first post i won't bombard you guys with questions.

one luv one peace one me
april
Reader
Marcia01
0 Kudos

Congratulations! How exciting. How can I find your book? I am new to the Writing Room and a wannabe writer. I know there is so much to learn, that is why I joined...to learn.

Have a great day!
Marcia
Contributor
tarzan82
0 Kudos

Hello April,
I'm in the same position as you. I'm new to this forum and also just had a book published, self published :-) congratulation to you and all of the new writers here. I also have many questions to ask, and a book to promote. You are in the same boat as me, and it means self promoting our product. This stinks and bores people to death, but we must do it. I'm a retired NYPD detective and professional scuba diver Dive Master. I decided to write the next Jaws novel using a mutant Barracuda as my antagonist. Rather than be a nuisance and describe the novel here, my website is http://www.mikemonahnbooks.com If you liked Jaws, you'll love Barracuda. Now that the promotion is out of the way, I'm curious as to how we get our new books stocked in B&N. I do a search of new book releases and my book doesn't appear. I do a general search and Barracuda appears with all my info but a notice claiming that B&N does not stock this product at this time. My question is, "How do we get B&N to stock our new books so that they can get some exposure?" Thank God us newbies have a forum like this to ask our questions. Go ahead April, tells us about your book and fire away with your questions, I'm sure that the knowledgeable people here will help us out.

Mike Monahan