Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

Add on and make it interesting

Staring into the mirror, I declared myself a hopeless case. My hai wouldn't lie flat like every other guys. My face hadn't cleared up either. I sighed. I'd never get up the courage, now, to invite Karynn to our Halloween Dance.

The Halloween Dance was the biggest dance of the year; bigger than pom. All the students came in a dressy costume. There were competitive contests where judges decided whoch boy and girl had the scariest or classiest costumes. Even the Lincoln M. Schultz High School gym was dressed up for the event.

Deciding there wasn't much more I could do about my appearance, I put my books in my backpack, grabbed my keys and walked out the door. My brother, Andy, let me borrow his BMW today so I'd have a nice car to impress Karynn.

I lived with Andy. My parents visit sometimes, but they're traveling carnies and the carnival only visits Jefferson City on Halloween. Although Andy was twenty and would prefer to be off in college instead oftakeing care of his 17 year old brother, my parents decided the canival needs people to take care of the ponies and a "psychic," so my brother's stuck in Jefferson.

I was almost to school when my phone started vibrating. I answeed it.

"Hello?" I said.

"Jaien? I need to talk to you about..."

ADD ON!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cuz I gotta couple dents in my fender. Gotta couple rips in my jeans. Try to fit the pieces together, but perfection is my enemy! On my own i'm so clumsy, but on your shoulders i can see... I'm free to be me!- Francesca Battistelli
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Re: Add on and make it interesting

How dare you P.J.!! You know i made up that name, and you know it means a lot to me, and even though you spelled it different its still the same!! How could you? now my characters name in MY book is just out here for the world to see, and yea maybe people have already used it i dont know, but that is MY name and youre suppose to be one of my best friends!!

thanks a lot. (heavy sarcasm if you didnt notice!) and i was even thinking bout adding on, but then i saw that name and it hurt! you know how important my book is to me!! And that is totally stealing, maybe you didnt mean to but you should think before you write stuff like that down! you KNOW that i made that name for a very special reason and you just plastered it on here changing the double R to a double N!!!

and for anyone else who's reading this, i might sound like a psycho, but it is really a name i made up or at least think i did! SHe is one of my bff's and she knows how important to me my book is. ive been writing this book on and off for about a year now, and i thought of this name even before that as a name to name my son one day! It has a very deep and personal story behind and it hurts me greatly!

step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Correspondent
WerewolfGirl101
0 Kudos

Yeah not cool! U shouldnt have taken that name especially since its very important to ur friend. That is not cool.
lost banner Pictures, Images and Photos
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Thanks for backing me up Werewolfgirl!!

P.J.--- You know i love you, and i know you probably didnt mean for it to hurt me this bad. but you know how important that name is to me. And you should have thought before you wrote it. 

step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

woah woah woah... i was spelling it like KAREN!!! not like your book. i named it after karen like karen from chuch!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would NEVER steal that name from you. i know you have dibs on it. karen. not like the way you spell it as a guy. i did not steal it. i would not do that!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cuz I gotta couple dents in my fender. Gotta couple rips in my jeans. Try to fit the pieces together, but perfection is my enemy! On my own i'm so clumsy, but on your shoulders i can see... I'm free to be me!- Francesca Battistelli
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Well it's just a TAD funny how one of the main guys in MY book is KARRYN and this says KARYNN! Don't you think? and maybe you did put that as 'karen' but you should have known it would upset me!!
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

OKAY EVERYONE NEWS FLASH!!

MY BFF p.j. was really meaning Karen, it is one of our friends at church. Sorry for the lash out i want to make it public that i apologize to P.J. (aiden_love_miguel)

I just flipped becuz it does sound a whole lot like my characters name.

so no hard feelings!!

thanks, i hpe yall dont think i'm a crazy psycho overly dramatic chic now!!

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

thanks molli. but yeah, everyone... please do add on though. i still kinda want to see how this story goes. i was in spanish class, got bored so i started writing.
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

"I need to talk to you about Carenn!"

Maison? i wondered. He was my bestfriend, and it wasnt like him to call me in the morning unless it was an emergency.

"What is it?" i asked walking quickly to my car.

"You need to get here like right now! I hear someone's gonna ask her to the dance!" he sreamed in his freaking out voice.

"What!?" I slammed my car door shut in anger. "When?" i demanded.

"i don't know, but you better man up and beat the guy to the punch!" He warned me.

I cursed and slid my phone shut without saying goodbye. I couldnt let anyone else ask Carenn. We only had about a year and a half left of high school. i'd liked her since grade school, and i was running out of time.

When i pulled up to my usual parking spot, my best friend was waiting there slouched against the 'reserved parking' sign.  once again i couldnt help but be jealous. He was the picture perfect guy, the 'ladies man'.

ADD ON!!

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

He sighed and said, "C'mon man, we have to go now."

The two of us rushed inside. The crowded halways were rather difficult to navigate though before classes started but we eached my locker(right next to Carenn's) in a shot while. I was excited and anxious at the same time. Although I was friends with Carenn, I didn't know how she saw me on a relationship stand point.

"Jairen, when she get's here, you need to make you move. There's not much more time to waste," Maison said glancing aound for Carenn. I nodded; a calm composure kept on my face even though my entire body was screaming "Run, you idiot!!"

Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE

I looked around at my fellow students and noticed that practically every girl was staring at Maison. Maybe i should act like him....I thought to myself. but then my brothers voice rang through my head. "Jairen, when it comes to girls, you just gotta be you. If you're not, then they only like who youre pretending to be." I sighed knowng that was right. but how could any girl like me? especially someone like Carenn. I wasnt handsome like Maison, i wasnt funny like Maison, i just wasnt Maison. I was Jairen. the sidekick. the boring guy, with the crazy wild hair, and the boring brown eyes. sometimes i wondered if people only hung out with me becasue of my family's money. even though my parents were carnies, we had considerable wealth. which bought me the lastest in anything i wanted.

"Dude, crush at ten o'clock!" Maison whispered fierly while winking at some sophmore girl, who giggled in return.

my eyes darted...and there she was, with her big green eyes, and her black-brown curly hair.... i thought i might have a heartattack.

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

It was as if she were walking in slow motion. Every step, strike that, every MOTION she made... It was as if an angel had fallen into my tiny little universe. I smiled at Carenn as she approached. She retuned the smile, then started looking at me sort of funny, I panicked and wondered if i had something in my teeth. No, I thought, I didn't eat anything fo breakfast... I then realized that she was staring at me because I was still smiling at her. I cleared my throat and approached her saying, "Hey, Car, how are you?" She smiled and her face reddened a little(blushing?). "I'm really good, Jairen. Thanks." I couldn't believe how beautifulher voice sounded. It was as Jesus in vocal form(haha molli i sort of stole that saing from you). "Erm, Carenn... I sort of was wondering if... if..." I stuttered. She looked at me waiting. Suddenly, the bell to first period rang and she sighed saying, "Jai, I'm sorry, but can it wait? I have to get to Physics and you know how tough Mr. Butcher can be."
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

"uhhh...." i stumbled. Maison was behind Car, making frantic motions that just screamed "NO! YOU IDIOT, DO NOT LET HER GET AWAY!!" But just as usual, i chickened out, and said "Sure!" Maison gaped at me and clutched at his face in defeat. Car walked away smoothly, giving me a final smile. somehow i gained a sudden burst of confidence, and called after her. "Hey Carenn" she turned around. "Come find me when you're free, i need to talk to you." she nodded and continued walking towards her class. i sighed and smashed back against the lockers. Maison came up and shook my shoulders, his big blue eyes wide with confusion and frustration. "WHAT IS YOU"RE PROBLEM?" he yelled, and everyone turned to see why he was yelling. He smiled nervously, and took his hands away. "I'm sorry i got nervous!" He smacked my forehead. "Well at least you redeemed yourself. YOu better hope the other guy doesnt ask before you get to her!" he sighed. i looked back in the direction the love of my life had gone. "Oh, trust me. i am hoping."
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

You are going to name your SON Karryn??

That is a chick's name

Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

My fist four classes seemed to drag out FOREVER! Algebra 2 was insanely stale, which is crazy considering, being a nerd, I generally love math. Wold History, English and Computer Science weren't much better. The entire time I could only think of what I was going to say to Carenn. Do I just come right and and say, "Hey Carenn, I really like you. You wanna go to the Halloween Dance with me?" or do I come about i moe subtle and say, "Hey Car, you going to the dance with anyone?... You're not?... Oh well, since we're good fiends maybe we should go together."

The bell ending fourth peiod sounded. I bolted from my chair and was out the door before the ringing in my ears from the bell stopped. I tried to be calm and collected as I approached my locker. Carenn was already there transferring books from her backpack to her locker. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Maison walking in this direction. He paused at the water fountain a few yards away. I glanced at him looking for some suppot. He grinned and shot me athumbs up, egging me on. I walked up to Carenn and cleared my thoat, not knowing much what else to do. She glanced up and grinned, her teeth sparkling and perfectly straight.

"Oh, hey Jai. What's up? Wow, you would not believe the homework load I already have!" she exclaimed. Then her eyes widened in remembrance. "Oh, that's right! You wanted to talk to me about something...?"

Here it goes... "Um... Carenn, I was wondering... Are you going to the Halloween Dance this Friday?" I blundered nervously. Well, there you go. All I have to do now... is ask her...

The look on her face after that showed me she knew what was oming next. She sort of winked and smiled saying, "Yes. I am"

"Will you go with me?!" I blurted before my nerves caught up with my instinct to ask her.

Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE

YES, i AM going to name my son that! It's not Karen it's pronnounced CAR-IN!! KARRYN!!

okay?

Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

"oh..." she started nervously, biting her lip. "Umm, someone's already asked me..." She looked away with an uneasy expression. great. i had not only made a fool of myself, but i'd probably just ruined any friendship i ever had with her.

"Oh." I fidgeted with my pockets. "That's cool I-"

"but i havent told him my answer yet!" she blurted suddenly. I perked up and smiled. maybe this was my chance. i looked over at Maison who was gaping with his hand still on the water trigger, with water squirting down his shirt. I stifled a laugh and turned back to her. I found my inner Maison and reached deep inside of me for some suaveness.

"Okay, that's cool. just call me and let me know!" and with that i leaned down and kissed her cheek softly. she blushed bright red, and turned around without saying goodbye. i smiled to myself, and cried out in suprise when a hand slapped my back.
"Dude! That was AWESOME!!"

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

I turned to Maison and grinned. He looked at me and said, "Are you gonna say something?!" I laughed and said, "Hey, chill. I'm still trying to catch my breath from back there," I answered. We both laughed as we headed to lunch. I hadn't noticed how much time had passed until I got to the cafeteria and our usual lunch table was filled. Maison, who, being crazy poular, can sit wherever he wants. I usually am usually just dragged along with him. He went over to sit with the softball girls. And let me tell you, they are WAY to hot for me, so when he turned to me and said, "Yo, Jai! Aren't you going to sit with us?" I raised an eyebrow, but having no where else to sit, I sat next to him.

I had already stated eating my food when Aaron Adams, one of Maison's good friends from the varsity track team strolled up to us. Maison waved at him and yelled, "Hey, bro! What's up?" Aaron just ignored him and walked straight over to me. He glared at me with a look that screamed, "Oh, you are so going to get it!" I gulped nervously and siad, "Hey, Aaron, what can I do you for?" He continued glaing for several minutes. Maison raised an eyebow but then tuned back to his conversation about how baseball was so better than softball.

Finally, Aaron said, "So, I heard you asked Carenn to the dance...?" My eyes dropped to my sandwich and I cleared my throating replying, "Yeah... Uh, I really like her so I asked her and... I don't know I just did, you know?"

Sorry molli, I'd add more, but I have to go take care of my dogs.

Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Aron flexed his fingers. My eyes locked onto the championship ring that rested there. It painfully reminded me that i was so far away from him on the social ladder. He was staring at me coldly and i couldnt figure out why. "Forget it. I'm going to the dance with Carenn!" He shouted. My jaw clenched. Perfect. How was i suppose to compete with this studly track star? But somehow that inner Maison came shining through me.

"Really? YOu don't say?" I grinned at him. "I was just with Carenn. She told me she hadnt decided who to go with yet. i guess youre the other guy that asked her?" Maison turned around and gaped at me. He eyed me a secret message that could be decoded as: "What the heck do you think you're doing?!!?"  "Listen up, rich boy. If you go to that dance with Carenn, i will tear you apart." i gulped back fear, and noticed that the whole cafeteria was looking at us. "Is that necessary?" I asked. (hahahah Inside Joke P.J.) "Are you trying to be FUNNY, rich boy?" he asked, pushing me slightly. and with that Maison intervened. I could always count on him. Maison stood up, pushing back his chair. "Enough, dude." He said without a hint of humor. Aron looked away shyly. No one questioned Maison, he was the most popular kid in the whole town. His word was law at this high school. "Whatever.: the track star huffed and walked away angrily.

Inspired Contributor
aidyn_loves_miguel
0 Kudos

I sighed in relief. Although I was able to pull out some inner Maison courage, there was no way I could dig deep enough to pull out my Maison strength. No one could.

Maison waved his hand at the walking away figure of Aaron saying, "Hey, dude, don't even listen to him. You know how fast gossip is spread aound here. Word of his explosion at you will spread to Carenn soon enough. You know Carenn well enough to know that she doesn't like jerks who fight over her." I nodded. He was ight after all. I had a pretty good feeling about this. Carenn and I had been friends for a very long time; since second grade. As far as I know, she barely knows Aaron. Maybe jsut though wod of mouth. Just another jock.