Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever

Angel of God

Angel of God

He was walking home, all alone

He was quietly taking every step

He was looking at his feet—paid no attention to me

I never thought I would see

An angel of God

His eyes stayed down, as he walked

Never looked behind him, at all

He didn’t hear a sound—that had come to bring him down

His books fell all around

An angel of God 

I never believed that I would find

Some truth in this world

A faith I’d left behind

A dream that I had sewn

My heart was left in everything

My life all around

And there, there on the ground was

An angel of God

He wasn’t moving, at all

His face was streaming blood

I ran over to help him—pick him up off the ground

He didn’t make a sound

An angel of God 

I saw in his eyes, everything

The hurt and sadness

He didn’t want to let on—how he was lonely

He didn’t have to be phony

An angel of God 

There was something else, thanks

I’d know that look anywhere

He choked on his words—trying to sound cool

But he was acting the fool

An angel of God 

They kicked him, for some reason

I think I knew why

He’d always been different—something they wouldn’t accept

It was inside him he kept

An angel of God 

After that day I was different, new inside

I know it was meeting him

We put up with the pain—being unlike others

But he told me in faith we were brothers

That angel of God  

All poetry and prose is copyrighted.

Comments please?? Be honest…

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
New User
Axelle
0 Kudos

Re: Angel of God

I LOVE IT!!!:smileyvery-happy:
Love, Axelle
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

This poem is deep and I think that it is very symbolic of so many of lifes hardships and miracles.
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Inspired Wordsmith
silverwings
0 Kudos

A very wonderful poem. :smileyhappy:
"I'm asleep, but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Jbo
Contributor
Jbo
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the meter and repetition, but there were some word choices that I wouldn't have made...that's all stylistic differences though, so it doesn't mean you should change it at all!

You presented a clear and detailed scene, which is better than some novelists can do! Great work overall and wish you the best.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Yeah, I know what you mean. There were some points where I was struggling for how to word it and it was the only way I could. I'll definitely be working on that! Thanks! :smileyhappy:

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Contributor
cowboysurfer
0 Kudos

Wow that is an amazing poem! I really enjoyed how you brought it from a rather distant and impersonal point of view to the ending where it became very personal; how he goes from being AN angel of God to THAT angel of God. Wonderful.
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire - Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Thanks!:smileyhappy: