Brandi_R

Announcement: Welcome "Getting Published"

Good news! The "Getting Published" board is merging with the "Writing Room." "Getting Published" has been moved to the archives and some of the threads will be moved here.

What does that mean for us? We're expanding our discussion on all things writing to include publication. So feel free to ask questions, commiserate, lament, or otherwise explore the world of publishing. We'll still be focusing on writerly concerns, including the craft and practice of writing, as we've been doing all along. We're just broadening those concerns to include publication.
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
New User
trizzuti
0 Kudos

Re: Announcement: Welcome "Getting Published"

I'm new here, but since we're expanding, can we also include book promotion?

New User
Katherine83

I'm new here, and I just have a question. I had been writing some short stories and working on writing a book on romance and mystery. I was wondering, how can one publish a book, if one can through Barnes and Noble?
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble is a bookseller, not a book publisher. You'll want to go through the process of finding an agent and/or publisher to get the book in print.

Does that answer your question? 

Jennifer_H

Hello.  I am new to this but I had a question about getting a book published. What are good characteristics of a querie when submitting your work to an agent?
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

trizzuti wrote:

I'm new here, but since we're expanding, can we also include book promotion?

"Getting Published" was another book club that merged with the Writing Room. You're welcome to discuss the process of promoting a book here (that's certainly part of the publication process).

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

ImmortalGirl wrote:
Hello.  I am new to this but I had a question about getting a book published. What are good characteristics of a querie when submitting your work to an agent?

This is a great question, but it may be missed by many under this thread. Go ahead and post this as a new thread in the Writing Room for more feedback. Also, do a search for this on the board as there have been many discussions about it in the past. 

New User
A-Dara
0 Kudos

Hi! I am also new here, and, I must admit, a little lost.  I was just wondering if you knew of any special outlets for young writers, to get work noticed.  Of course I realize that, ultimately, it is only hard work and talent that can accomplish this.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

There are certainly literary journals targeted to younger writers. Allegheny Review, for example, is open to writers who are in undergraduate university programs. The Apprentice Writer is open to high school students.
Contributor
cchick
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Cecilia, age 17 and I'm writing a book about growing up socially inept, unprepared and overweight throughout my childhood and how I worked to overcome my inner demons to lose 40 pounds in one year. I've never written a book and I realize how much work a book takes. Right now I'm in the research phase, I'm reading The Quest for Peace, Love and a 24' waist. I'm trying to familarize myself with a variety of weight loss books so that I can creative something completely original and compelling for people all across America and the world who struggle to lose weight. Is there a critiquing place where writers build trust and can read their work and give their opinions and suggestions about the style, tone and overall piece? How do you build your vocabulary? Where can I find writers who are older and know more, who can challenge me in my writing?
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

cchick wrote:
Hi I'm Cecilia, age 17 and I'm writing a book about growing up socially inept, unprepared and overweight throughout my childhood and how I worked to overcome my inner demons to lose 40 pounds in one year. I've never written a book and I realize how much work a book takes. Right now I'm in the research phase, I'm reading The Quest for Peace, Love and a 24' waist. I'm trying to familarize myself with a variety of weight loss books so that I can creative something completely original and compelling for people all across America and the world who struggle to lose weight. Is there a critiquing place where writers build trust and can read their work and give their opinions and suggestions about the style, tone and overall piece? How do you build your vocabulary? Where can I find writers who are older and know more, who can challenge me in my writing?

This certainly sounds like an inspiring book! It's a great way to share your experience with others. You've come to the right place if you're looking for community. You're more than welcome to post sections for feedback. While you're here, chime in on other writers' contributions, too. You might also find it helpful to take a structured class. Look for classes in your area. Gotham Writers' Workshop offers online classes, too, that you might look into. Good luck. 

New User
chubbyalaskagriz
0 Kudos

Howdy! I'm new here and looking forward to lotsa fun.

Is it rude for me to have a question right off the bat?

I'm a former chef nearing completion of a writing project that can best be described as a cookbook/travelogue/adventure-tale that documents part of my kitchen career spent in remote regions of Alaska. The book contains recipes, stories and photos and I feel it has great potential market appeal if I make all the correct moves. The problem? I'm a first-time writer with zero experience in the sticky back-room tactics of making my way 'round the publishing world. Everything I read gives but another recommendation of just how to procede and honestly- at times the advice seems conflicting. What path is best? What should my first steps be? Any advice about what to avoid?

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Sounds like an exciting project! I suggest you look at books similar to your own and see who represented them. (Agents are often noted in the acknowledgments.) If you think your book fits in the market of smaller presses, you can do the same in targeting presses. Who is publishing your kind of work? This can give you a focused list to start.

Have you looked into queries and book proposals? There are many industry standards regarding how to submit--and lots of great resources for them--that you should follow when going through this process.

Let us know how this goes!
New User
stillnotdone
0 Kudos

It seems that these messages all start by saying "I'm new here" but I'm new here too and I'm wondering if this group is or can be used as a sounding board for someone who is interested in writing, doesn't have the conferdence, yet everyone says WRITE you have such great stories to tell?
New User
trizzuti
0 Kudos

Most writers I know either treat it like a job or they write when the muse strikes. I do a little of both in that I wait until the muse strikes and then treat it like a job until that particular piece is done to my satisfaction, or until boredom sets in and I just quit working on it. I don't think it takes confidence so much as a game plan. Most of us know whether we're most productive in the morning, afternoon , evening or night. Figure out when that is for you, and then set aside part of that time (and pick a place) for writing. The next step after that is to just do it. It could very well be that you'll decide that some of what you write is garbage. That's okay. Just keep doing it, and revising what you do, and cutting and replacing pieces, and yes, deleting pieces. In the end, you'll either be satisfied or you won't. If not, you might decide you're not a writer, but if you are, then you're on your way to world's of fun and satisfaction, and occasionally pride in your accomplisments. Every writer starts some time and somewhere, putting one word after the other. Most people seem to think they have to have the whole piece in their head before they start. I find that I just have to have an idea, and that the writing takes on a life of its own if I'll just let it go, taking me along for the ride 
New User
chubbyalaskagriz
0 Kudos

Thanks Brandi_R!

Your advise is great- you offered something I hadn't thought of before- try contacting agents mentioned in the forwards of books similar in theme to my own writing project... Wow! Thanks again! :smileyhappy:

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

stillnotdone wrote:
It seems that these messages all start by saying "I'm new here" but I'm new here too and I'm wondering if this group is or can be used as a sounding board for someone who is interested in writing, doesn't have the conferdence, yet everyone says WRITE you have such great stories to tell?
Of course! Feel free to post some of your work or any questions you may have. Also, chime in with your thoughts on other writers' contributions.
Contributor
anngonzalez
0 Kudos

Hi, writers,

I'm new to the B&N groups and am having a little difficulty finding my way around. However, I wanted to add that the single most important thing for every writer to do, besides read and write, is to be a member of a writing community. It could be in the form of a class or a critique group...but, the most important thing is to make friends with other writers.

Writing is tough. You need to go to emotionally difficult places and make characters that you care about suffer. Plus, once you put your work out there you'll invariably experience rejection. Other writers are the only ones who understand how difficult it is to persevere.

I am a nano-novelist and have found that the novels I write during nanowrimo are much stronger than the ones I take years to write. (I saw a thread on nanowrimo but couldn't find it after I signed in.) I've never "won" nanowrimo, but my first nano novel is just out -- it's called Running for My Life. It's a young adult novel about a teenage girl struggling to overcome Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after being attacked by her schizophrenic mother. If it hadn't been for nanowrimo and the support of 100,000 + writers...I wouldn't have known that that was the story I wanted to tell.

Keep the faith...read, write, read and write...that's the formula for success as a writer.

New User
MilkshakeLS
0 Kudos

Hi in Milkshake and with this new "Getting Published" thing will publishers be reading our individual work and may or may not contact us about gettig what were writting publish? And if so how do we grasp thier attention? after all there are probaly over a million soon-to-be-born writters on this site looking for attention.

MTFBWY

Milkshake

"God works in mysterious ways, Brother"

- Hugh Jackman, Austrailia

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

MilkshakeLS wrote:

Hi in Milkshake and with this new "Getting Published" thing will publishers be reading our individual work and may or may not contact us about gettig what were writting publish? And if so how do we grasp thier attention? after all there are probaly over a million soon-to-be-born writters on this site looking for attention.

MTFBWY

Milkshake

"God works in mysterious ways, Brother"

- Hugh Jackman, Austrailia

The "Getting Published" board was a place to discuss that very process--getting your work into print. Since that board has merged with ours, we can expand our discussions about writing to include publication. Don't hesitate to post questions or discussion topics about publication.