Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
D-Vos

Any Young Authors?

Hey, everyone. As a young author I've been seeking some companionship. Someone who knows my experiences. I want to hear from you!

Adults, you can comment here too.

This is my book:

Double Life 

Synopsis: What if you could leap into your own overactive imagination? And what if you met your imaginary friends there? What if it was real? This all happens to an intelligent, imaginative boy named Josiah Jones, who finds a portal into his own world. Now, stuck inside, he has to fight the battle of his life inside his own head. This masterpiece of storytelling is fast, fresh, and fun, and keeps you engaged in this boy's strange double life between the imagined and the real.

D-Vos

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

Re: Any Young Authors?

well, i don't think there  that much on here that are authors but thats okay because there a lot of people that would like to become authors. :smileytongue:
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01

dragon560 wrote:
well, i don't think there  that much on here that are authors but thats okay because there a lot of people that would like to become authors. :smileytongue:

Ahem. That would be moi.

At the moment I am in the process of editing/having people critique/searching for publishing options for my book. It's roughly 589 pages long (indeed, I have a lot of time on my hands), and I have been working with it for several months now.

Since you're a published author, do you have any advice on giving queries?

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Well I write in my spare time, but my classes kind of inhibit my writing time. Lol.  I would love to get published one day, but I'm afraid that dream is probably a ways away. 

Congrats to both of you for actually being able to finish your stories.  I think it's pretty awesome that you guys are published/ in the process of doing so.  

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Inspired Wordsmith
Pennley_Love
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not an author yet, but i'm an aspiring one!

I love writing poems, short stories, and bits and pieces of novels.

I do not have much free time on my hands because i'm a full-time student, and i dance.

If you could share any tips you have, that would be wonderful!

Congrats on your book:smileyhappy:)

Sincerely Yours,
Penn
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I am in the process of writing a book and i also write poems. I don't have enough time to write as much as i would like to but when summer comes then i would have more time to write alot. I would love to hear some tips from you.
Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

redheart52 wrote:
I am in the process of writing a book and I also write poems. I don't have enough time to write as much as I would like to but when summer comes then I would have more time to write a lot. I would love to hear some tips from you.

That what I was thinking, I'm going to wait til summer as well.:smileytongue:

Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

redheart52 wrote:
I am in the process of writing a book and i also write poems. I don't have enough time to write as much as i would like to but when summer comes then i would have more time to write alot. I would love to hear some tips from you.

Lucky! I'm the exact opposite: I have more time on my hands now than I probably ever will during the summer! Grr...I envy you.

-A quote by moi

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

:smileywink:I envy YOU...i want to write now but im just so overwhlemed with school work that its crazy. It really is insane.
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

I'd say I know EXACTLY what you mean, but I don't normally get too much schoolwork so I guess I don't. But still...LUCKY!

-A quote by moi

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

twilight_fanatic_01 wrote:

I'd say I know EXACTLY what you mean, but I don't normally get too much schoolwork so I guess I don't. But still...LUCKY!

-A quote by moi

Not too much schoolwork!!?? Twilight, you seem to be the lucky one here. I'm with Redheart--I'm waiting til summer to have more time for writing. Some of my schoolwork is just eating me alive.
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
D-Vos
0 Kudos

twilight_fanatic_01 wrote:

dragon560 wrote:

Ahem. That would be moi.

At the moment I am in the process of editing/having people critique/searching for publishing options for my book. It's roughly 589 pages long (indeed, I have a lot of time on my hands), and I have been working with it for several months now.

Since you're a published author, do you have any advice on giving queries?

-A quote by moi

I actually never sent out a query...I founded my own publishing company (wow, I must have done a good job at making this look as professional as possible!)

Though I can't give you advice on how to deal with traditional publishers, there are tons of books in the library on the subject. They're coincidentally usually right next to the ones about self-publishing. It's Dewey number 70.5.

I CAN give you advice on self publishing though. Whaddya wanna know?

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

I have a question....Does self publishing cost money? if it does then how much?