Contributor
shizzle
0 Kudos

Aspiring Author

I am currently writing a Science Fiction short story/novel.  This depends on how much progress I make and how the story pans out.  I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on publishing it or at least getting noticed by a publisher.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Aspiring Author

I don't know about publishing but, I would love to read that, it sounds interesting, I'm sure someone here can help with your question.  I'm Shadowcat btw, welcome to the Writing Room, I hope you enjoy it.  There are very talented writers here and, we all support each other.  I am looking forward to reading your works.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
shizzle
0 Kudos

Right now its just chapters.  I get inspired in different environments and will just write a couple chapters.  I love science fiction and have been inspired by multiple writers.  The book is actualy is no where near complete but I figured I would see if anybody had any information on publishing.

Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

Hi. I am working on a sequel to Tuck Everlasting. To read the prolouge, go to the writing room and click on "here's a piece of a novel I'm working on." All comments or questions are Appreciated!
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP
Contributor
shizzle
0 Kudos

OK, I decided to post a quick excerpt from my book, let me know your thoughts:

Riley emerged from the passes of Fargun Mountains and covered his eyes as the sun was broke the horizon.  He smiled briefly as he looked out the green pasture that lied ahead and the forest in the distance.  Riley was relieved to be back into the wilderness and out of the secret caverns that linked the Emor Empire and the druidic land through the Fargun Mountains.  Riley was glad he would never have to travel through the cold and dark tunnels. 

As the children filed out of the mouth of the cavern Riley counted them as they passed him.  The children entered the morning air and Riley heard a few complaining about being up and moving so early in the morning.  Once the last child came out of the cavern he recounted again as he had in every gathering over the past nine years.  Though he knew that none of the students left throughout the night because of the alarms he had set before going to sleep.  He had starting setting alarms around the camp sites after a student ran off in the middle of the night during his first gathering.  Riley cleared his throat, “Make your way down the path to the small landing so the rest of the young men can get out of the cavern.”  

The children gathered in the landing and as the last boy came out of the cavern and turned to look at the gatherer for instructing.  Riley looked at the boys, “We have crossed the Fargun Mountains and are now on the Druid protected lands.  We have little to fear as the passes of the Mountain range are regularly watched by the Druids.  Though most of you are from the Emorean Empire, you are no longer a citizen of the Empire.  You will now and always be a member of Druidic society, regardless if you pass through the school successfully or not.  Please proceed down the path until the path ends and the meadow begins.  Wait for me where the meadow and the path meet.”

The children listened obediently and started walking down the path.  Once the last child was out of view, Riley took a knife out of his pocket and cut four vines off the nearby rocks.  He positioned the vines in front of the opening, two in front of the cavern opening and two positioned so they touched both the ground and the rock.  He mumbled a quick incantation and then pulled a vial of water off of his belt and let a drop fall on each of the vine trimmings.  The vines sprung up and concealed the opening then as if an afterthought he said “Chiudo dwa” (shut door) and the rock advanced from all four sides and silently merged together.   Riley then removed his backpack off his back and pulled a small twig from it and dropped it within the middle of the path and muttered “Conculo” (conceal) and the path quickly disappeared as he advanced down the path. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I like your imagery Rob, I would love to read more sometime thank you for sharing

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

My story is a work of fanfiction, and is in no way meant to infringe on Ms. Babbitt's copyright. If I ever decide to publish it, I will get written permission from the copyright holder before doing so. I must put this out there to aviod any legal technicalities. Thank you.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP