Frequent Contributor
snider_kr
0 Kudos

Atmosphere

Before you sit down to write a story or ponder on some ideas, what do you like to be doing? Do you like to sit outsied,listen to soft music, or snuggle up in front of a fire? what kind of things realy get your ideas flowing? or what motivates you?
‡¥‡ When it comes to LOVE, even forever don't seem long enough ‡¥‡
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Atmosphere

Nature definitely inspires me to write, probably more than anything else. Maybe it's the fresh air, but I feel calm and pensive when I'm setting my eyes on the beauty of the world, and my thoughts flow wonderfully. Usually, a description will pop into my head, and then it will develop into a story or a poem. Recently, mushrooms and Spanish moss have inspired stories, and in the past, rain, the wind, trees, and many other things have made me want to write. Of course, sometimes, I'll just want to write no matter where I am, and it's usually when I have no access to pen or paper, which I experienced when I was walking around Savannah all day with my family on vacation. I think it's better that way sometimes, because then you can just let your ideas unfold and develop from one another, and you'll have a better idea of an overall story once you actually do get to write, not to mention that the gratification of satisfying that desire to write is a million times more exquisite if you've been denied it for a time.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

I usually get my ideas when I'm out and about. I see or experience something that makes me think, "There ought to be a story in that." Most of the fiction I write is inspired by real life situations among family and friends, where I change not just the names, but anything else that suits the story. When I'm out on the streets I notice the way people walk and talk and try to incorporate their mannerisms into my characters. I enjoy nature but it doesn't inspire my writing unless I am writing about nature.

Chatting with other writers and reading their stuff also inspires me at times. The short story I am currently writing came out of a challenge to write about someone unlike myself in race, ethnicity, class, religion, or politics. Another time I had been reading a lot religious pieces that did not jive with my own religious beliefs. I wrote a piece of religious satire.

Once I get an idea, I'm so bursting to write it that all I need is my computer and a bit of quiet to get me started. But like in any romance, once the first blush of love wheres off, it takes a lot of hard work to keep going. It's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, as the saying goes.

Marcia
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

marcialou wrote:
But like in any romance, once the first blush of love wheres off, it takes a lot of hard work to keep going. It's 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, as the saying goes.

Marcia

It's easy to tell you're a writer. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks. I may be a writer but I'm not a speller. "First blush of love wheres off." Whoops!

Marcia

Message Edited by marcialou on 07-17-2007 05:29 PM
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

snider_kr wrote:
Before you sit down to write a story or ponder on some ideas, what do you like to be doing? Do you like to sit outsied,listen to soft music, or snuggle up in front of a fire? what kind of things realy get your ideas flowing? or what motivates you?

Well, I like to write after eating a meal or snack for some rerason. I like to be outside a bit. And I like to be by myself if possible before and during when I write. I like to be i an area where I can look outside. When I'm thinking I look outside. I'll list some other things later that I observe when I write today.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Contributor
SilverFox
0 Kudos

Sometimes what inspires me to write is watching a particularly good movie, or listening to some good music. Though mostly what inspires me to write is having a great day with my friends. Whether we went to see a movie, made fools of ourselves at the mall, or just had fun at each other's houses, that inspires me to write because it put me in a good mood, and I based most of my characters off of my best friends or family.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Yes Sivler, you've hit the nail right on the head! I get a lot of inspiration from historical events, classic literature, stories from my friends, TV shows, and especialy good movies. That well known mini-series Band of Brothers inspired me to write a book that the main character is a soldier in WWII. Basicly things that I see, here, read, talk about, and things like that inspire me. I'll list some moer things later.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I know that this sounds really weird, but there are certain songs that help get my creative juices flowing. I'll share with you and some of you could listen and tell me what you think and you guys could share songs that help you and I could listen to them and tell you what I think. I mostly like classical music but some non-classical music is Ruby by the Kaiser Chiefs, You Read My Mind by The Killers, and some others. But like I said before I'm mostly a classical person. I enjoy Mozart and Beethoven the most. But then I listen to other genres of music too. I list some more later. I'm in the middle of writing right now. I'll post some of my work later. Happy writing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

That doesn't sound weird at all, historybuff. Certain songs definitely make me feel poetic and put me in the mood to write. Anything with violins will do that to me, for some reason. I love violins. The Tristan and Isolde movie soundtrack is quite excellent; all instrumental, no vocals, lots of violins. There's a lot of Celtic influence in the music, which makes me happy because I love Celtic music. I love the Killers; the songs I listen to all the time of theirs are "All These Things That I've Done", "Change Your Mind", and "Believe Me Natalie". All three have great touches of poeticism, and they have wonderful tunes. You should definitely listen closely to these songs in full if you don't know them. Modest Mouse has wonderful lyrics, though I can't stand the lead singer's voice. The only of their songs I can stand to listen to are "Float On" and "The World At Large", both excellent songs. But sometimes I read their lyrics online without listening to the song, because they are quite beautiful lyrics. "Hey There Delilah" is one of my favorite songs at the moment; very calming and touching. Are there any Michael Buble fans out there? I certainly don't know any, but he's one of my favorite singers. I listen to "Feeling Good" all the time (I think someone else might have done this song originally), because the lyrics are gorgeous and make me want to write about gorgeous things as well. (I don't even pay attention to the grammatical error in the title, which is surprising for me!) And, interestingly enough, I went through a brief phase where I was obsessed with "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. It has some great lyrics, and it evokes a lot of emotion from me because it is so powerful. But the interesting thing is that I misinterpreted one of the lines of the song, and I was disappointed when I looked the song up on the Internet and saw that I was hearing the wrong thing all along, but then I was ecstatic because it meant I could use the line in my writing. And then sometimes I like to listen to the music of my thoughts mingled with silence. Depends on the day.
I always manage to make my posts quite long, don't I?
Anyway, all of these songs/artists inspire me to write, probably because they can captivate me mentally and emotionally, and that's important for a writer. If you don't have that kind of stimulation, then there's no way you can get passionately into a piece of writing, I've found. Maybe that's just me. But I think that you constantly have to be engaged mentally and emotionally in things in order to write. Whether in another piece of literature, music, or your own life, you can't be afraid to think about things and have emotions, even negative ones like sadness and anger. Knowledge of these things is a good thing to have in your arsenal, so you can't try to run from them. I finally figured that out recently. :smileyhappy: You kind of have to experience life if you're going to write about it.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Yu are completely right AP, everything you say is true. Another non-classical song I like is Crazy? Yes! Dumb? No! by The Mint Chicks. An interesting thing is that they are from New Zealand, you don't see many bands from there. I also like You Read my Mind by the Killers if I hadn't already posted it, I can't remember if I did. I like classical music I just don't really pay attention to who is compsing it. I just listen to it.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I often listen to music when I am working at my computer, whether I am at my day job or writing. I can't listen to anything with lyrics, though - it's too distracting. I mostly listen to Celtic, English, French Canadian, and American dance music played for New England Contras and Squares or English Country Dance.

Marcia

"I'd rather be dancing or writing."

Message Edited by marcialou on 07-23-2007 03:00 PM