Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

Bulova, Character profiles writing exercise

I'll try to do this exercise in spite of having to translate it:
Character name: Meyer Zharo Bilbomjo

Physical traits

Age: according to the occasion 54 or 65, depending on the woman he dates or the work he applies for
Ethnicity: black, originally from Africa, in possession of more than one passport
Height: 5.5 feet
Body type: compact physique
Hair color: dyed black hair, receding brow
Facial characteristics: tubby short neck
Athleticism: fond of walking part his working way in order to remain attractive; otherwise immobile

Sociological traits

Birthplace: Africa
Parents: both died. Father had 3 wifes. Meyer has 10 siblings, of which most have died. He now is the tribal elder of his familiy.
Family: supports African female siblings in case they have paid employment. Spends a lot of money on sister Maria, working for African government. Tolerates her mistakes after having had thorough discussions with her husband. Sister Maria is a dominant person disliking any children which are not in legal relationship with her latest husband to which Meyer agrees vividly.
Childhood: Was picked up at an early age from his familiar surroundings in order to attend Western oriented schooling.
Occupation: Physician (Surgery as well as three other disciplines)
Religion: He likes to listen to the words of God
Politics: deeply hates welfare cases as they contradict to his life message: close your eyes and work

Personality traits

Habits: Can only start a day if wordless as otherwise unable to work. No coffee, no orange juice with anyone being around him. Cannot work if his lunch varies from what he eat the past decades. Doesn't talk. Needs to watch TV, read newspapers, take a shower at the same time of the day throughout his life. Desperately wants more money. Hates successful women.
Best qualities: gives money to part of his family (if useful for himself)
Worst faults: destructive, dominant, resentful
Favorite foods: Pasta (eat same pasta since he lives in his new country, every evening, always the same sauce)
Favorite vacation destinations: Europe and Africa
Favorite sports: used to play a tennis, still keeps the rackets in the closed, now likes to walk a few bus stations on his way to work
What makes him happy: his sports car
What makes him sad: loss of money; the rest was lost a long time ago
What makes him angry: not having a child of his own
What does he love most: his sports car and sex
What does he hate most: the last girlfriend
What is he most proud of: being an academic, a MD
What is he most ashamed of: his hair turning gray
What is his secret ambition: speak Spanish without accent in order to earn more money
What is his darkest secret: a) his age: his older than dares to tell b) he never passed the examinations as a doctor
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Re: Bulova, Character profiles writing exercise

Bulova wrote:
Character name: Meyer Zharo Bilbomjo

Physical traits

Age: according to the occasion 54 or 65, depending on the woman he dates or the work he applies for around him.

Great profile. Intriguing that his age shifts—and so significantly—depending upon the situation. That’s a very revealing detail about this character. Learning that early on in a story would make me wonder what else isn’t quite nailed down in his own account of himself or his activities.
letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

I like that he is as old as he is. It puts pressure on his desire to speak Spanish without an accent (pass for Spanish-speaking) and especially not having passed his exams. Is he practicing illegally?
#Play tasty!#
Frequent Contributor
Bulova
0 Kudos

I'd like to write a short story "for the drawer" with "Meyer" but such that I feel like rereading it myself from time to time. I appreciate your feedback. Meyer does have a license but moved repeatedly in a gray area regarding laws in the course of his life (and is proud of that). I hope to make it more exciting when underlining it with his main desire.