Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Gilded_Again
0 Kudos

Character views. First person, second, third...?

I've just started writing a novel, and I have it in first person, like when it goes "and I...."
Normally, I always tried in third person, where it switches people and says like "Sally did this...."
Odd, though. First person is easier and gives you freer reign. I always thought it would be harder, but I also don't want to overdo it. I'm wondering, what view do you people mostly use? I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep going like this or not. I'd really apprecitate it.
"Writing a book of poetry is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo."
-in E.Anthony, O Rare Don Marquis
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Character views. First person, second, third...?

I typically use third person limited or third person omniscient, just because I like the ability to change between points of view and sometimes step out of straight narration for anecdotes or semi-philosophical abstractions.  I rely a lot on descriptions, however, because that's where most of the power of my writing lies, so third person narration suits my writing better.  It's really a matter of preference and what works best for you; if you find that first person is more your creative style, then by all means, write in first person!  I've found that first person narration doesn't work for me because I have a need for my voice to be stronger than the characters' voices, if that makes any sense.  And the manner in which I write makes first person narrations sound unnatural.  But if you can pull it off, then I see no problem with writing in first person.  :smileyhappy: 
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: Character views. First person, second, third...?

I think first person can be interesting if the narrator is unusual in some major way. Or if the story is fast paced. It tends to get on my nerves in longer books though.