Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Coffee Shop: Off Topic in the Writing Room

Oh of course Raven was born from that kind of mood I was in a writer's block and just one day I could see this character in my mind and I ran with it thus my block was broke and I had a story that I love writing the raven files
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Correspondent
BookishBlonde
0 Kudos

I try to stay focused. Currently I have three active projects, whatever my mood chances are one will fit. If not I may make notes or jot down ideas that come out of that mood without actually starting a new story.

Author
Zkullis

BookishBlonde wrote:

Other than writing, what kind of creative things do you like to do...or feel strangely compelled to do? I think switiching gears can get the creative juices flowing, especially if you're feeling blocked on the writing front.

I like to play with fire :smileyhappy: no, seriously! There's a local fire-arts center nearby where I've taken classes in vitreous enameling: most of that goes in a kiln but we've done torch firing of small scale sculpture too, and some metal working. 

And photography, but I've only taken one class, mostly I just mess around with it. I like to experiment and play with the images, see how I can take something common place and make it look like something completely different. Here's a link to my fun & games from last night:

pretty cool huh?
So what do all of you do?

------------
This might not be addressing your question exactly as you put it, but it is something that I feel compelled to do.  Periodically...  :smileywink:

I ride my motorcycle.

I know, I know, it doesn't seem to fit.  But when I feel like I am in a slump, some kind of creative quagmire, I get on my Triumph Rocket III and ride.  The motorcycle is a very large cruiser, and is very fast.  But the cruising is what I like to do.

When the wind is all around me, the ground passing below my feet, and the open road is in front of my, I feel free.  It is a kind of mental release.  My creative side does not get any cognitive pushes or input, it just rolls along with me.  It sounds strange, I'm sure, but at some point down the road, the creative side starts to spawn ideas.

It is a strange creative cycle (no pun intended), but it works for me.
Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

Writing is about as far my creativity goes :smileyvery-happy:. Not that I even get time to do it, here lately. I'm going to try to start a story tomorrow: It's in my head and driving me nuts, per the usual.

I used to be really good at art when I was younger. Mainly drawing. Then one day, it was like I couldn't do it anymore. It was weird. Now I can barely draw a straight line!

Changing the subject: Has anyone had any strange dreams lately. I've had weird ones (like freaky weird ones!) two nights in a row. In the first one, I was pregnant!!! But I learned throughout the dream that I was a surrogate for someone and my stomach hurt through the entire dream. It was like all knotted up! The second one was weirder if possible: I was trying to talk someone out of buying a house because my sister, who used to live there, killed her husband and his kids before eventually taking her own life!!! And I thought it was paranormal reasons that drove my sister crazy, so I was really trying to talk this person out of the house! What is going on in my head??? I am never watching Paranormal Activity again, that's all I've got to say!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I had a dream once that I was being chaced by a dog head though the woods. I ran into a red caboose (which is odd because the dog head and the woods are blach and white) The head then changed in to a long neck dino and stuck its head in through the door. It then stood up and I was suddenly in a pasture with a T-Rex. The T-rex ate my brother and turned into a robo T-Rex and I sat down in the stands and enjoyed the show as it blew fire and chewed cars. I've had that dream since I can remember. The ending I can change if I think but the first half up to the T-Rex I can't its always the same. Weird enough? I also deam I'm in movies but those I can never remember the last half. Sucks caz those are are fun. The saying of if you die in your dream thats how you die in real life? Anyone believe that?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Darkkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am creatively crippled outside of my writing.  If I get stuck, I pull out a different project and shift gears, take my Rue Dog for a walk, or go to the park and swing with my music going.  Motion helps me think, allowing me to break free of the real world and toss my imagination deep into the worlds of my stories.  My music catches my and off I fly...

- Darkkin, the Tedious

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

BookishBlonde
0 Kudos

dreams: I used to have a lot nightmares when I was a kid but not anymore. I think the strangest and most vivid dream I've had recently was one in which I was following an old woman carrying a big ring of old clanky keys through a long dark hall with doors and passageways leading off in every direction, some of them were open but some were closed. And the long dark hall was my brain, I know this because I stopped and asked myself "what is that old woman doing inside my brain?" Then she went to one of the closed doors, took a key from the ring and unlocked the door. She pushed it open then looked over her shoulder at me and said "Come on, all the naked people are in here." Then I woke up laughing.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

OK
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I never really had nightmares. Yes I did have a few but not many. I remember one when I was really little around 3-4. I had a bug catch as a hand full of bees. It scared me caz I didn't like creepy crawlys then and my hand was missing.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Video Game end of the year list

This is something I usually post on a blog but I know a few of you play video games as well so I thought you might like reading my reflections on some of the games I played in 2011. First game up is LA Noire, this was the first game of this year I played. It's about a police detective named Cole Phelps. Solving crime mysteries is very entertaining with the strong storylines and excellent dialog there no mystery why this game was the first to be featured at the Tribecca film festive. Next up is Alice Madness Returns This isn't your Daddy's Alice in Wonderland, this darker story centers around Alice as she tries to.figure out her twisted memories of the fire that killed her family. She travels through a darker Wonderland then you may be used to. She fights monsters with an assortment of weapons. A knife, a pepper grinder that acts like a Gatling gun, a hobby horse for smashing, and a teapot that fires explosive tea. Last but not least and just to let you know I just got this one so my comments are more brief at moment Batman Arkham City Set a year after the first game, Warden Sharpie from game one has become mayor of Gotham City and he decided to block off a section of the city for a new Arkham. Batman just like first game is trapped inside Arkham. I don't know all the villains that are in game but seen Penguin, Hugo Strange and Two Face so far. Also this game allowes you to play as Catwoman at times and from what I've read I can play her anytime I want after I beat story. Hope you enjoyed my insights for games this year.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE
0 Kudos

One of my most graphic nightmares was that there was an outbreak of disease which basically turned people into zombies. Once my brother caught the disease and we abandoned him in the city, my family and I moved into the country. Then I caught it. My dying brother had somehow entered our house in the middle of the night and he bit me. I remember the feeling of tics scuttling across my body; they were released in the bite. Then, when I was writhing on the living room floor, convulsing in pain, I told my mom to shoot me before I infected or harmed anyone else. I can still hear her saying, "It will be okay. You won't even see the flash." 

Sorry, that got dark! 

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Video Game end of the year list

Alice Madness Returns sounds fun. I'll have to look for that. Didn't really get any new games this year because it was so dry I had no work. Of late I've been playing Fable II. On the game you can get married. Yeah my husband took off in fear of me. Go figure. :smileyvery-happy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Video Game end of the year list

And I've had some dark dreams. :smileysad: I've also had never ending dreams I got so into I slept an hour past my alarm! I was on a lion hunt and fell asleep on a cot and awoke some cabin fell asleep and woke some place new. The patern kept going untill I stoped and said "wait uh its not a weekend yet" I jumped out of bed and had to be outside in ten minutes. I made it in eight. But lost breakfast.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

TylerAE wrote:

One of my most graphic nightmares was that there was an outbreak of disease which basically turned people into zombies. Once my brother caught the disease and we abandoned him in the city, my family and I moved into the country. Then I caught it. My dying brother had somehow entered our house in the middle of the night and he bit me. I remember the feeling of tics scuttling across my body; they were released in the bite. Then, when I was writhing on the living room floor, convulsing in pain, I told my mom to shoot me before I infected or harmed anyone else. I can still hear her saying, "It will be okay. You won't even see the flash." 

Sorry, that got dark! 

Creepy. Yes, that reminds me of dreams I had. You don't want me to get started on the nightmare where my mom went nuts and tried to kill me. Can I have just one nice, normal dream where no one dies or people are happy?

Shopaholic
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! It's been so long! When I was a kid I was tormented by nightmares all the time, and even as an adult I have always dreamed very vividly. Last night I had this crazy dream that I can't get out of my head. The youngest kid I nanny for has been horribly sick with pneumonia all week (for real), and I dreamt that when I went into work today, she was even worse, projectile vomiting, with her head spinning in a 360. I think I've been watching too many scary movies lately! The weirdest thing was that nobody thought this was strange, including her mom, who is a doctor. In this dream, the poor kid looked like she was possessed by Satan, but I was the only one who thought something was wrong. So maddening! Oh no, time to go to work. Let's hope that this time dreams don't come true!
"You found the bandages inside the pen/ And the stitches on the radio." - Gaslight Anthem

Follow my blog at http://willowwriter.blogspot.com
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I'm a vivid dreamer, but also an interactive one.  I've found I can control the direction my dreams go, except for the claymation fish.  That one was just too weird to do anything with.  One thing that I have noticed about my dreams though, is that most of them have music in them, songs that differ from my iPod, which I always have going.  I also get the deja`vu dream on occasion as well.  One that keeps recurring is the one where I'm writing, but the words on the screen aren't ones I've written, yet.  The freaky thing is usually about a week or more after I have the writing dream I will be whacking away on my computer and wham...There are the words from my dream staring at me from my screen. The only nightmares that has ever truly freaked me out are the ones where people are missing teeth, I wake up running my tongue over mine just to make sure they are all still there.  (For the record...I am still in possession of all 32  :smileywink:)

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Missing teeth ah! I had a dream that I was wrapped up by a huge anaconda and couldn't breathe. I wasn't creeped out untill it took me under water. I can't swim so that freaked me out.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

And the one dream where I got seven rattlesnake bites. But I think I already told of that one.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

coffee house

The room is quiet. Little too quiet. I finish my saga I've worked on all year and pick a day of a, silent room to post it? Wake up writing room I know you're there lurking in tge dark corners waiting for someone to post in the coffee house well I've broke the silence come join me here.
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: coffee house

Sorry I have lurked more than normal today. But in my defence I've been cleaning up turkey poop. Which I've been coughing the poop dust up for the last half hour. YUMMY! I liked your story! But I feel as if I finished a good book I wana say "nnnnnooooooooo!" Me wana more. So can I make every one a chocolate coffee? :smileyhappy: me make self one. Me bounce of walls.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.