Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Re: Coffee Shop: Off Topic in the Writing Room

tiffany57 wrote:

Sadly, my great-great grandmother passed away over the weekend.  She was 98, a few weeks away from her 99th birthday.  I can't believe it. 

Oh I am so sorry Tiffany, I wished I could think of something more to say but, I can't find any words right now.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Congrats on finishing.  I'm still in the chronic student mode with an MFA...about a year left.

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

tiffany57 wrote:

Sadly, my great-great grandmother passed away over the weekend.  She was 98, a few weeks away from her 99th birthday.  I can't believe it. 

Oh I am so sorry Tiffany, I wished I could think of something more to say but, I can't find any words right now.

Thank you, your words mean alot.  Her service will be this week, also. 

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
shadowcat80

Where would you like to visit?

In the world of fiction, there's many special worlds and sights to see, where would you like to visit?  Examples Hogwarts, Gallagher Academy, Middle Earth, etc...

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE

Re: Where would you like to visit?

I would like to go to the Maze in The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I would also definitely want to visit Hogwarts too. We are planning to go to Universal Studios in Florida this summer and they have the castle there

shadowcat80

shadowcat80 wrote:

In the world of fiction, there's many special worlds and sights to see, where would you like to visit?  Examples Hogwarts, Gallagher Academy, Middle Earth, etc...

For myself personally, I would like to see Wonderland, Hogwarts and Naria

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

shadowcat80 wrote:

For myself personally, I would like to see Wonderland, Hogwarts and Naria

Oh, Wonderland . . . yes!

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Kat-NE

I would definitely go to Hogwarts!  Heck, I would take the Universal Studios version of Hogwarts.  I think that Wonderland would be cool, too.  I would never go to Narnia.  Talking animals would freak me out and any human that steps foot in the place ends up having to save it.  Too much pressure!! 

Another to add to the list:  Neverland (from Peter Pan, not Michael Jackson).  Pirates+Never having to grow up= Awesomeness!

Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE

[ Edited ]

I don't want to sound conceded, but I would like to visit a place from my own story, the headquarters of a top secret organization that poses as a radioactive waste control company called Actinium Industries. They have some pretty deep secrets there...

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Pern.  The Lost Realms of the Kasihi.  The Opana Maen Peninsula

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Kat-NE wrote:

II would never go to Narnia . . . any human that steps foot in the place ends up having to save it.  Too much pressure!! 

Ha! That's great.

Kat-NE wrote:

Another to add to the list:  Neverland (from Peter Pan, not Michael Jackson).  Pirates+Never having to grow up= Awesomeness!

I'm with you on this one. But it would have to be childhood me making the visit.

shadowcat80

When are searching for the book to read?  What draws your eyes?  Is it the title?  Is it the author's pen name? or Is it the cover art?  If you can do a rating of most important to least important that would be very appreciated.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TylerAE

[ Edited ]

For me, it's probably the cover art, then title, then the author's name, although the author's name doesn't really affect whether I want to read the book or not.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

shadowcat80 wrote:

When are searching for the book to read?  What draws your eyes?  Is it the title?  Is it the author's pen name? or Is it the cover art?  If you can do a rating of most important to least important that would be very appreciated.

Interesting question. When I'm looking for something new to read, I often turn to trusted sources--friends, favorite reviewers, etc--so I tend to go to the library or bookstore with an author or a title. And there are certain authors who I'll always read, so that comes into play, too. Of course, I can't resist a good browsing session. When I'm doing that, I find I pluck books from the shelf based on cover image. After that, it's all about the story--the book jacket summary. That's always the make or break for me.

As a side note: This question is very much on topic. Always feel free to post anything on topic as a thread on the board.

shadowcat80

Book vs Movie?  Do you perfer reading a book that a movie is based off before or after you see the movie version?

Darkkin

[ Edited ]

It depends.  Eragon: The movie was horrendous.  The books, well done.  How to Train Your Dragon:  The movie was excellent.  The books, alright.  LOTR:  The movies did justice to the books, giving them a life that could never be achieved on paper. Harry Potter:  The movies were good, but the books hand the movies their tails on a plate.  This list goes on and on...

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

I'm finding that it is better (for me) to read the books after I see the movie.  I always get so mad that they changed so much, and it is always the parts that I really wanted to see on screen.  This way, I don't know what I'm missing. For example: I just finished reading The Eagle of the Ninth a few weeks ago, but I saw the movie The Eagle first. Two completely different stories going on!

Contributor
RavynSky

I am into books way too much to ever see the movie first. (isn't that one of those unwritten rules somewhere), almost always the movie never meets my expectations. There have been a few that I have seen that really are great such as Darkkin pointed out  "How to train your dragon". I realize its impossible for the director of a movie to have the same impressions or imagination as mine. So I try to be forgiving when seeing a movie after reading the novel.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

I would just like to thank everyone on here who has ever written a poem. In my internship, I have to read poetry submissions for the magazine and say if I like it or not and why. Before this board, I was completely ignorant of poetry and pretty much stayed away from it if I could :smileyvery-happy:. (Kind of why I didn't major in English!) So thanks to everyone who is making my life easier. A million gold stars are headed your way as we speak.

Err . . . but, if for some reason you don't receive them by the end of the week . . . Well, I must have sent it to the wrong address :smileywink:. Apologies and better luck next time.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE

Is it possible to get a sunburn while the sky is full of rain clouds, the sun was not seen at all that day, and it was 50 degrees out there? Well, I'll tell you that it is possible, because it happened to me yesterday. I mean I'm pale, but seriously?!! I guess there was a reason I never go outside when I have the chance. Just some random info for you all. I know that this question was probably plaguing you all as well :smileytongue:. Glad to help.