Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Conditionals

This technique is a way to explore the mystique and excitement of language through accident. We'll use the "if . . . then" sentence construction. Here's how it works.

The first writer composes an "if" clause. For example:

If the crows escape the barn

The second writer composes a "then" clause without looking at the "if" clause. For example:

then my ring finger will sparkle.

Put them together to see what you've created:

If the crows escape the barn then my ring finger will sparkle.

Let's keep this organized with one "if" statement followed by one "then" statement and so on. To help yourself not peek at the "if" statements before writing your "then" statement, compose one of each and then post whichever is needed next when you get on the thread.

Who wants to start us off?

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

Re: Conditionals

[ Edited ]

If you leave me now...

But I wasn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

If I am the butterfly...

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

WilliamWright wrote:

If you leave me now...

. . .  then I might nestle the chick safely in the palm of my hand.

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

WilliamWright wrote:

If you leave me now...

. . .  then I might nestle the chick safely in the palm of my hand.

ha! that works for me...

if this is the hardest decision i will ever make...

But I wasn  
http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
Darkkin
0 Kudos

then I will leap before I look and laugh as I fall...

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

If I hoist the sails too early . . .

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Conditionals - If

If pigs could fly....

KathyS
0 Kudos

Conditionals - Then

Then the man in the moon would smile!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Conditionals - Then

Darkkin wrote:

If I am the butterfly...

I don't know how this works....I can't post to anyone without reading what they've written...so I'm not sure what, or how to reply....

So, then...

I'll just let my wings paint the sky!

Ha!

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

If someone eats the chicken...

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Darkkin wrote:

If I am the butterfly...

I don't know how this works....I can't post to anyone without reading what they've written...so I'm not sure what, or how to reply....

So, then...

Ha!

Kathy, before you click on the thread, write one "if" statement and one separate "then" statement. When you click on the thread, see if which one you should post. If there's an "if" statement already posted, then add the "then" statement that you already composed.

I know--it's a little tricky to do it this way. Much easier when we're all in the same room and just able to write on paper that we fold over. But since that won't happen any time soon, writing your statements out ahead may do the trick.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

tiffany57 wrote:

If someone eats the chicken...

. . . then I might fill the house with rain.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

If I had three emeralds . . .

KathyS
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Darkkin wrote:

If I am the butterfly...

So, then...

Ha!

Kathy, before you click on the thread, write one "if" statement and one separate "then" statement. When you click on the thread, see if which one you should post. If there's an "if" statement already posted, then add the "then" statement that you already composed.

I know--it's a little tricky to do it this way. Much easier when we're all in the same room and just able to write on paper that we fold over. But since that won't happen any time soon, writing your statements out ahead may do the trick.

Okay.  I see what you're saying. I guess I wasn't seeing the point...It's a little more than tricky.  I view the boards in the threaded view, which always makes it hard for others to see what I see [my point], since most participants use the default, linear view.  That's why I wrote my If, and Then, in the subject line....but it didn't stop another participant from posting to me, another of the same..... I give.  I don't know who's posting to whom.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Brandi_R wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Darkkin wrote:

If I am the butterfly...

So, then...

Ha!

Okay.  I see what you're saying. I guess I wasn't seeing the point...It's a little more than tricky.  I view the boards in the threaded view, which always makes it hard for others to see what I see [my point], since most participants use the default, linear view.  That's why I wrote my If, and Then, in the subject line....but it didn't stop another participant from posting to me, another of the same..... I give.  I don't know who's posting to whom.

I'll have to check out that view and see if we can adapt. Thanks for letting me know! Would it help if we make sure we quote who we're replying to when doing a "then" statement?

Darkkin
0 Kudos

If my name is Chaos...

KathyS
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Brandi_R wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Darkkin wrote:

If I am the butterfly...

So, then...

Ha!

I'll have to check out that view and see if we can adapt. Thanks for letting me know! Would it help if we make sure we quote who we're replying to when doing a "then" statement?

Brandi,  Please don't worry about it.  I shouldn't have mentioned it.  You're the only one who's ever given a darn about how I see these boards.  Thank you for that.  But it's probably best we just forget this issue. It's not that important, here, and since I'm the minority, believe me, I've never had any luck convincing anyone to look at it my way.

Thanks.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

then a pebble will fall into a pond sending ripples out, distorting the surface, causing change.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

If my name is Chaos...

. . . then the river will flow backward.