Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

Do you ever cry when you write something?

"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

Re: Do you ever cry when you write something?

So sorry.
Anyway.
One time I wrote a story that reflects what I was going through. I cried. And I don't cry. At all. I hate it. Ugh. That's not normal for me. I just don't like it.
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
New User
WriterHopeful
0 Kudos

I write best when i cry. i like to write tragedies and when i cry the emotion is so fresh and raw i can pour the "hurt" onto the pages.

Recently i have been trying to write a murder mystery but i am stuck...i have the basic plot and i have research, i just don't know how to get it off the ground.
Can anyone suggest something?
Frequent Contributor
Janice00
0 Kudos

What do you need help with?
"Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional."
--Me
Frequent Contributor
greatdreams
0 Kudos

Hi Janice -

Great question! Read Homer - read the Bible - in ancient days, poetry and sagas and literature and drama was designed to help people cope with what was going on in their lives - it was cathartic, ie people listening to Ulysses or to King David reciting his psalms were supposed to feel moved, happy, or fulll of grief.
 I think it is fine to be sad when you write - but perhaps you should schedule time for grief and after mourning, write! Greatdreams
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I tend not to cry very often, but when I do, I tend to turn toward pen and paper.  I know that a few months back, I was having difficulty in terms of my emotional state, and I did shed a few tears while writing a great deal of poetry...  Writing definitely helps bring you closer to things so that you can better understand them and consequently let go of them.  That's one of the reasons I need it to survive...  It forces me to let emotion out, whereas normally I have a natural tendency to keep it all in, where it does nothing but bounce off the walls of my mind and lead to a great many undesirable headaches...  Basically, writing keeps me sane.  :smileywink: 
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Smile
0 Kudos

well yes i have cried before when i have written something. usually when i have to kill one of my beloved characters or a poem that is close to me in er some ways. hmmm....you say you need help? well tell about your murder story, if you can, please.
-Smile
Yue
Frequent Contributor
Yue
0 Kudos

Yep, I do that at least once a week. Although I don't cry when I write it, I cry when I think about it. For me it's easier to play the dramatic moment in my head for a while before putting it on paper. That way it doesn't ruin the writing.
"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way." ~Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Evanescence2008
0 Kudos

Just start writing.  It doesn't have to be good, but just write.  Then go back and edit it and then go from there.
Contributor
VampireVal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well...I haven't cried much yet when I write, I haven't reached that point yet with my story. But I do a lot of roleplaying with my characters. So far that has been the best way for me to find out who my character is. And often when my character cries (and my main character is very sensitive...of course, lol), I do cry.
Message Edited by VampireVal on 08-01-2008 05:13 PM
Frequent Contributor
Oceandweller777
0 Kudos

I think any emotion while writing gets through.   I cry when I write sometimes and when I proof read it, I catch myself crying again.

I think to express the emotions in words you have to experience it.  When your writing moves you to tears, its something so perfect that you can only read in awe. 

The loss you have felt, or the pain, is buried deep in the writing and can never be removed. 

Emotion is in everything.  You just have to find a way to open the barriers and bear your soul. 

In my mind this makes you a true writer.  It makes you untouchable. 

Great question by the way.

~Phill