Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Do you plan first?

Do you guys plan out what you are going to write before you write it, or do you just feel inspired to write and start writing without worrying about where you're going to end up? When I'm writing short stories I usually just let myself go wherever my mind wants to go, but I imagine that if I was writing a novel (something I have yet to try) I would probably plan it out so I wouldn't leave anything out or have continuity problems. I can see the advantages of either method. If you plan, you make sure you don't forget anything and you can move everything along the way you want to. If you don't plan but just write without a definite end, just a basic idea in your head to get you started, you don't subconsciously limit yourself and can soar to new heights of creativity and inspiration. This is just out of curiosity; I don't know anyone else who writes, so I'm interested in seeing how others approach the writing process.
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Contributor
bmeekers
0 Kudos

Re: Do you plan first?

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
Do you guys plan out what you are going to write before you write it, or do you just feel inspired to write and start writing without worrying about where you're going to end up? When I'm writing short stories I usually just let myself go wherever my mind wants to go, but I imagine that if I was writing a novel (something I have yet to try) I would probably plan it out so I wouldn't leave anything out or have continuity problems. I can see the advantages of either method. If you plan, you make sure you don't forget anything and you can move everything along the way you want to. If you don't plan but just write without a definite end, just a basic idea in your head to get you started, you don't subconsciously limit yourself and can soar to new heights of creativity and inspiration. This is just out of curiosity; I don't know anyone else who writes, so I'm interested in seeing how others approach the writing process.

I have tried both methods of writing and have found when starting big projects, like novels, it's best to have some sort of planning. Naturally, I do not plan, but for me it helps to know the plot and characters. The downside to planning, though, is that you do not have as much creative energy. Like you said, each method has its pros and cons. If you want to have structure without many limitations i think you could decide some possible major events of the story but leave out transitions, details, and such. That should probably give you enough creative ground to play with.
-Bee
New User
lag10
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
Do you guys plan out what you are going to write before you write it, or do you just feel inspired to write and start writing without worrying about where you're going to end up?

I definitely plan out what I am going to write before I write it unless it is a poem.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

When I write a story that has a definite beginning, middle, and end, I have to plan it out so that I can get to where I want the story to go. This does not stifle creativity at all. It merely keeps me on track with my story.

But there are times when I just sit down and write and let the characters tell me what they want to do. That is always fun, usually an exercise, because what comes out, while there are sometimes interesting metaphors, etc, is usually just a big jumble of ideas that don't really flow together.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

all of my personal 'marketable ideas'-- those ideas that I think could become 'something' if written by anyone with more talent, perseverence, and luck in the publishing game than I possess-- they all start with a solid kernel idea of some sort or another. Whether that solid core idea be a single well-rounded and developed character, a particular sequence of action somewhere in the guts of the tale, or a solid starting or end sequence, or something else, there's always something rock solid that gets my creative juices flowing.

From that kernel, it's all free-flowing head-bashing heart-thumping adrenalin-rush power-writing to wrap ideas around that little nut, and make it into something viable.

But, to me,after coming up with that core kernel, all that heair-pulling gut-wrenching 'work' is what I call THE FUN PART!

=WOOT!=
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
marcialou
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
When I write a story that has a definite beginning, middle, and end, I have to plan it out so that I can get to where I want the story to go. This does not stifle creativity at all. It merely keeps me on track with my story.>

This is more or less how I work too. I know the beginning, the end, and a few points in between. I'll start writing at point A and work my way to B, then C, and so on. The funny thing is that sometimes as I type I am surprised by my own writing. I watch the letters as they turn into words then sentences on my screen and think, "Oh, so that's how it happens. I was wondering."

The muse works in mysterious ways.

Marcia
New User
AlexaK
0 Kudos

I've do both methods depending on my mood or my project. For instance, a mystery story definitely requires extensive planning. A travel article, while usually requiring some planning, can be begun on a whim and grow from that. Then there are the memoirs, non-fiction shorts, or anything I write from memory that I just sit and do it.

In general, novels need planning.

For inspiration, I'll sit down with pen and paper or at the computer and just write what comes to mind - a sort of brainstorming - and sometimes from that, I'll get something really good, insightful, or downright remarkable. It also helps to eliminate "writer's block". Just the act of writing helps to stimulate the mind and the creative juices. I also carry around a recorder for days when I get those brilliant ideas on the run.
Hope this helps.
Alexa
Frequent Contributor
Krisleyyy
0 Kudos

Hmm...I don't like planning. Lose points in school for not doing it. I found the trick is to plan on paper, in school, once your done with your story.

I am working on a couple novels, 2 of which are not planned out at all.
I keep all ideas in my head, I have great memory. They naturally stay there.

I am however, working on one sort of novel that I did plan for. I planned and then I wrote. But after a while I stopped planning and just wrote. I got so confused that I just stopped at chapter 19. Ever since a couple days ago I started up again, on chapter 21 now. But I've decided that planning was not a good idea, because when I plan something, even in my head, the idea is there, but it never comes out the same way. I guess you can call it Brainstorming, where you gather ideas and then just roll with it.

(:
and lather the blood on your hands,
Romeo.