Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
t_acker

Don't let the title throw you - enjoy!!

Naked 

I wonder what you look like naked.

Pardon the way I explore such a daydream,

for I am searching for the deepest part of you.

Think not in the obvious, but in the

most platonic way to admire something

temporarily unknown.

Take away egos and arrogance,

leaving you and your self-esteem at your

simplest form, allowing us to exist

at our least common denominator.

Take away the disguises, the costumes,

the fabrication of something to become,

only to exist in the now.

Somehow answers form themselves to

questions asked mentally.

Take away glamour, yet keep sophistication,

for that is embedded in your veins.

Still, give me your early morning -

your most natural face of a new beginning -

your entrance into the present,

or better yet into life, for the way we came

is no mystery in this sense.

Unclothe everything except your truth,

and hope that the world adds the proper

accessories.

How likely is that to happen?

If beauty only runs skin deep, then at least

now I can say I have seen it for myself,

yet, still attempt to reach for greater authenticity

that I know thrives from within your soul.

After all, true beauty isn’t defined by what

you easily reveal, but rather by what I eagerly

discover and appreciate.

Daydream fulfilled.

- from Love Undefined

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Re: Don't let the title throw you - enjoy!!

I really do like the point of the poem. I must say, the title did make me laugh! :smileyvery-happy: I like how you clearly said "beauty is only skin deep" and "unclothe everything except your truth." I think those lines said it all. Great!

Daydream fulfilled...(love that line!)

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Contributor
t_acker
0 Kudos

Thank you for all of your compliments. I know that when someone reads the title of that poem, they automatically think in particular one direction. But once the poem is read, the direction changes as if there was a twist in the poem. I appreciate you reading it!!!
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

I like how you break down a single word and explore all of its meaning. Relating what it is to be naked in more than a literal sense is an artistic way of discovering a person's character. Great poem!
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Frequent Contributor
booklovergirl12
0 Kudos

I thought the point of the poem was great. At first I thought it would be something kinda stupid but it turned out really nice. I doubt anyone would follow the poem and go naked everywhere but the world would probably be better that way.
~BoOkLoVeRgIrL12
Frequent Contributor
birdsongDS
0 Kudos

Nice. I can follow that poem. Makes me think.
Frequent Contributor
A.Tross
0 Kudos

I think this is one of the few times I've read a poem on here and could honestly say:

BEAUTIFUL. *applauds* That is really something to think on... well done.

*I am no poet.
Yet the words bite, scream, and scratch within me, until I release them from their imprisonment, forever stained in black and white.*
Yeah, I said it.
Distinguished Scribe
booklover37
0 Kudos

WOW!! that was really good!! the title fooled me at first. haha... i thought it was gonna be a silly poem. but this was great. keep up the good work!!

my favorite line was:

After all, true beauty isn’t defined by what

you easily reveal, but rather by what I eagerly

discover and appreciate.

Daydream fulfilled.

"...life is a fight just the same, whether you fight it with weapons, or with words. You have to fight for what you believe in, and for the things you want.'"
Contributor
t_acker
0 Kudos

Thanks once again for all the recent comments and replies to my poem. i really do appreciate everyone viewing my posts. Stay tuned for more and i also look forward to reading more of your works. :smileyhappy:

-T. A. Acker, author of Love Undefined