Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Favorite genre to write?

Okay, so 1bigvikki started the thread about what your favorite genre is to read. So now I want to ask what your favorite genre is to write. Like for instance, I love to read romance, but typically I don't have an easy time writing it. I actually prefer to write other stuff. For me fantasy is fun to write. What about you??
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite genre to write?

Fantasy, definitely. I like the way the imagaination has no bounds when you write it, 'cause, like, ANYTHING can happen. For instance, J.D. could find a magical sword that has a mind of its own and ends up killing him as a result. And for those of you who have seen my posts about J.D., then you'd know that I would absolutely LOVE THIS.

I also enjoy writing a bit of romance here and there. A story can't progress without some kind of romance, if you ask me.

Great topic, by the way, Dreamer4ever! 

Jbo
Contributor
Jbo
0 Kudos

Scifi-Fantasy. I enjoy exploring the bounds of what can be explained by science. 

I believe it was Arthur Clarke that said: "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic." Simply put, if we were to go back to the stone age with a Zippo, they would have called us a god. Or maybe just "ug ugh!" but I'm sure they meant it as a compliment.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke
Contributor
Benji71306
0 Kudos

Fantasy mixed in with a little bit of sci-fi is great.  But I also like to throw in a bit of horror, well actually alot.  The main basis of all my stories are horror; the fantasy and sci-fi make it more interesting.  And not that kind of blood and gore but more of a chills down your spine horror; psychological thriller types.
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

I don't know yet. I am working on three novels right now. One is a memoir of my childhood, the second is a fantasy and the third is a fictional drama. The memoir is the hardest for me because I have to do the most research for it, plus it is about a really sensitive subject. I am enjoying the storyline of the fantasy one but I get stuck often. I am really enjoying the fiction story because it deals with the real life issues of domestic violence and suicide. I like being able to create a character that people can relate to. So right now I am leaning toward that.
"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Contributor
Selber44
0 Kudos

I also like trying to create characters and situations that other people can relate to.  Outside of that, my favorite genre to write is fantasy (which also happens to be what I read most).  I love the whole process of creating a world that doesn't exist yet or a world inside ours.  It's usually a lot of work, but well worth it to me. 
"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling
Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

I love to write science fiction.  But with elements of humor, romance and horror to flesh it out and make an interesting story.

I read in a competitor's Discussion Forum that Horror is big right now, with the economy in trouble.  The Commentor sounded like a publisher or book seller, and he said that when times are flush and everyone's happy, people lean toward Fantasy. 

So when things are scarey and uncertain, like now, readers tend to reach for Horror.  I'm not sure why.  Misery loves company?  Fun to read about characters in even more trouble than you are?

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

twilight_fanatic_01 wrote:

J.D. could find a magical sword that has a mind of its own and ends up killing him as a result.

Have you read "The Misenchanted Sword" by Lawrence Watt-Evans? It's slightly similar.

My own reading preference is light sf and f, like "Podkayne of Mars" and "Practical Demonkeeping."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

i love to write realistic fiction and fantasy:smileyhappy: Cause it came come from the imagination part of my big ole brain:smileyhappy: hahaha
You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end