Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
WilliamWright

Re: Getting to Know You

Hello,

My name is William Wright.

I was born in Leicester, in England, lived in london for a decade and now live with my fiancee in Oslo, Norway.

I have belatedly found my voice as a writer, after 14 years of false starts and premature abandonment, I finally finished my first novel, 'Modern Man is Ultra Quick', which should hopefully be available at B&N as an eBook soon.

I'm writing more than ever now, Oslo is a super inspiring and creative place, and I look forward to sharing ideas and helping others where i can - i find it so useful to get perspectives from as many walks of life as possible.

Please get in touch or visit my profile...

WW.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/William-Wright/24440816210
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Welcome William. I'm glad you found the Writing Room. I look forward to your contributions and insights.

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
spicy_t
0 Kudos

Hi to all!  I can't believe I'm doing this. Signing up as a "writer" lol....I LOVE to write, but am an amateur at best.  My highschool English teacher told me I had talent and should pursue writing, but I didn't, I became a nurse instead. But have always missed writing and just started up again this past February when I started a blog on wordpress ... http://spicyt.wordpress.com now it's not the type of blog where I go to be really serious about my writing craft, it's been more of a venting, therapeutic place for me to get things out of my head....but I have readers and they have all cheered me on in my writing....I had never written a poem in my life until recently...now my poems are very amateur and elementary....rhymey...lol.  I like the rhyming aspect...I find it soothing.  As I said, I am not saying I am a good writer..just that I love it and am interested in learning the craft and want to GET better at it.  Hopefully without having anyone scold me and telling me I am the worst they've ever seen! lol

Tammy
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

spicy_t wrote:

Hi to all!  I can't believe I'm doing this. Signing up as a "writer" lol....I LOVE to write, but am an amateur at best.  My highschool English teacher told me I had talent and should pursue writing, but I didn't, I became a nurse instead. But have always missed writing and just started up again this past February when I started a blog on wordpress ... http://spicyt.wordpress.com now it's not the type of blog where I go to be really serious about my writing craft, it's been more of a venting, therapeutic place for me to get things out of my head....but I have readers and they have all cheered me on in my writing....I had never written a poem in my life until recently...now my poems are very amateur and elementary....rhymey...lol.  I like the rhyming aspect...I find it soothing.  As I said, I am not saying I am a good writer..just that I love it and am interested in learning the craft and want to GET better at it.  Hopefully without having anyone scold me and telling me I am the worst they've ever seen! lol

So glad you're here! You're taking an exciting step declaring yourself as a writer. I hope you find the Writing Room productive and supportive.

Frequent Contributor
Squid22Syd23
0 Kudos

Hello Tiffany,

My name is Sydney I am going into 7th grade this year, I believe you are about a year older than me. I have been following you on this website and I have noticed that we are very alike. I love writing and have been writing for a long time, I do tend to read in a higher range than people in my grade. But I also noticed that you liked the book titled 'Sand Dollar Summer' and I loved that book too! So I wanted to suggest a book to you- It is titled 'Speak' I am not sure who the author is but the cover is green and it was published in April of 2006. If you cannot find this book just go to my page and look in my library it is there! I will also try to add the product in this message. Well I hope we get to know each other!

Talk to you soon,

Sydney

Speak

Frequent Contributor
spicy_t
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!

My name is Tammy, I am a 42 y/o mom of 2....I've always been an avid reader ... fiction and non.  I have also  always loved to write....but have kept it private....other than in highschool when my English teacher told me I had skill and should pursue it, but didn't.  Became a nurse instead!

I just recently started trying myhand at some poetry...very amateurish....rhyming...no imagery really.  I am getting my feet wet so to speak.  I find I enjoy the rhythm of rhyming...and then I will go forward from there after I feel comfortable.  I may not always use the exactly correct grammar/spelling/format....and don't usually proof much...but I will gradually work on all that as well.  Right now I am just trying to put on paper what my brain is putting out all of the sudden in poem form, when in all truth I have never been interested in poems at all...especially the "deep" ones....lol.  But who knows?

Thanks for letting me dabble here and for any feedback y'all give on my elementary style of writing!  I look forward to learning from the better writers here on this forum!

Tammy

ps....if you feel you have read this before...you have...after i posted this .... I felt a sense of deja vue...and looked back over some of the posts, and yep...there it was....I had already done an intro just 2 days ago!  Wow.  Way to start off eh? So, I guess this is where I should add that I can be a tad forgetful? hahahah....sorry! I tried to find a way to erase this entry quick, but didn't see a way to...so edit it was my only option....and to feel like a buffoon!

Tammy
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

spicy_t wrote:

. . . ps....if you feel you have read this before...you have...after i posted this .... I felt a sense of deja vue...and looked back over some of the posts, and yep...there it was....I had already done an intro just 2 days ago!  Wow.  Way to start off eh? So, I guess this is where I should add that I can be a tad forgetful? hahahah....sorry! I tried to find a way to erase this entry quick, but didn't see a way to...so edit it was my only option....and to feel like a buffoon!

Better to have two introductions than none! So, here's a second welcome.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

spicy_t wrote:

Hi everyone!

My name is Tammy, I am a 42 y/o mom of 2....I've always been an avid reader ... fiction and non.  I have also  always loved to write....but have kept it private....other than in highschool when my English teacher told me I had skill and should pursue it, but didn't.  Became a nurse instead!

I just recently started trying myhand at some poetry...very amateurish....rhyming...no imagery really.  I am getting my feet wet so to speak.  I find I enjoy the rhythm of rhyming...and then I will go forward from there after I feel comfortable.  I may not always use the exactly correct grammar/spelling/format....and don't usually proof much...but I will gradually work on all that as well.  Right now I am just trying to put on paper what my brain is putting out all of the sudden in poem form, when in all truth I have never been interested in poems at all...especially the "deep" ones....lol.  But who knows?

Thanks for letting me dabble here and for any feedback y'all give on my elementary style of writing!  I look forward to learning from the better writers here on this forum!

Tammy

ps....if you feel you have read this before...you have...after i posted this .... I felt a sense of deja vue...and looked back over some of the posts, and yep...there it was....I had already done an intro just 2 days ago!  Wow.  Way to start off eh? So, I guess this is where I should add that I can be a tad forgetful? hahahah....sorry! I tried to find a way to erase this entry quick, but didn't see a way to...so edit it was my only option....and to feel like a buffoon!

I can't remember....did I welcome you?  :smileyhappy:  If not, Welcome, Tammy!

I don't think you have to consider rhyming a bad thing....it's just a form, that's all...but I know what you mean by it hitting you all of a sudden - that's exactly what happened to me, also when I was in my 40's....but it was after sitting on a shrink's couch, for a few months...and bam!....they started to bombarding me, like a dive bomber... like my brain didn't know what hit it...everything that I thought about, rhymed! 

The unfortunate thing...or maybe not (depends on how you look at it) I had to read these poems to him...and interpret, and analyze them, til the cows came home.  And I've never been a poetry reader, let alone a writer of them...in my life!  Okay, maybe a few Haiku for the newsletter that I wrote, in my kid's elementary school...because that was what that grade level was doing at that time, just reporting the news..in haiku!...it was kind of fun, but that was it, for that time being.

I wish you well in your writing experience!  Try it all!

Kathy

New User
Leena_Clifford
0 Kudos

I'm new not just to the writing room but also to Barnes and noble. I mean I've gone to the store a few times and all but I'm new to the site and it has a lot more to it then borders. Really cool. Okay I suppose I best get Started.

I'm Leena Clifford. I'm 21 years old and an avid reader (I think that's the right word). I got my love of reading from my dad. My mom absolutely hates it and avoids it at all costs. But there are times when a book strikes her and she wants to read it (not very often though). Not sure about what I should say. So unfortunately this is all your gonna get. Sorry. :smileyhappy: :smileysad:

Leena Clifford
Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

Leena_Clifford wrote:

I'm new not just to the writing room but also to Barnes and noble. I mean I've gone to the store a few times and all but I'm new to the site and it has a lot more to it then borders. Really cool. Okay I suppose I best get Started.

I'm Leena Clifford. I'm 21 years old and an avid reader (I think that's the right word). I got my love of reading from my dad. My mom absolutely hates it and avoids it at all costs. But there are times when a book strikes her and she wants to read it (not very often though). Not sure about what I should say. So unfortunately this is all your gonna get. Sorry. :smileyhappy: :smileysad:

Welcome Leena!  And welcome to B&N (not that I work for them, but because I'm always on here :smileytongue:)  I hope you'll enjoy reading all the great writing going on here, and hopefully you'll will be posting your own work for us. 

Contributor
Carolina_Writer22
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Whitney and I'm from North Carolina. I am 19 years old, and I love to write. I'm working on a project that started off as a short story, but has turned into a novel. Any advice, anyone?

:smileyhappy:

New User
Ishy
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm Ishy. I'm not new to B&N, but I am relatively new to posting and to the Writing Room.

I've always loved to read and at a young age I had a higher level of reading comprehension than my peers. My mother tells me that she never had to push me to read and that when I was teeny I was the one shoving books in her face so that she could teach me. :smileytongue:

I started writing in third or second grade when my English teacher assigned my classmates and I a short story project. After that, I fell in love with story telling.

I'm currently 100 pages in my first (hopefully soon to be published) novel. It actually is a second draft after getting 150 pages into my first draft, which I decided wasn't the best I could do (an incredibly true statement).

Let's see.... What else? I love Coca-Cola, pretzels, Phineas and Ferb, Harry Potter, and Lackadaisy Cats (an amusing online graphic novel about the 1920s I am always pressing people to read XP).

Anyway, it's great to meet you all! :smileyvery-happy:

To Be Old and Wise, We Must First Be Young and Foolish
New User
wiltingdragonfly
0 Kudos

I am an out of work American teacher of 30. I have been writing since I was seven. I mean short stories and half unfinished  drafts of novels. I have about 10. I get to the three hundredth page and it becomes incomplete. Dose that make me a writer, truly? I have wanted to be a published author since I was 16 but my dreadful problem and a fear of rejection by all that is literary has stopped me. 

Thus I turned my pen to the newspaper for a while and I was great. I loved it. Even the late night deadlines. I quit when I had my first child. The first few months after coming back from maternity leave, I was simply overextended and exhausted. I just did not realize it. I would have stayed on but my husband moved the three of us to a new place without my consent. I thought I hated writing, until I did some freelance writing on my return back to the world of the living. By then it was too late. My need to take care of my child had transformed into wanting a steady paycheck and stability (my reporter job from before was underpaid), rather than fulfilling the desire of my heart and first true love. I had moved to another city and I reestablished connections with the newspaper editors there. They loved my work, but they could not pay me anything until the mag got off the ground for good.

I turned to teaching. I found something relaxing in teaching and utterly terrifying to have someone else's need to learn in your hands. Still I was pretty good at prepping high schoolers for the FCAT. Yes I reside in FLorida and I have to put up with that dreadful test. But the trick is to teach the content and not the test, not that principals understand this.

So I have not written a love story, fantasy, horror or a mystery since I was 20. I am a little ashamed about that. Since I am still receiving empty journals as b-day presents I thought I would put them to use. Especially since I am out of work and just taking care of the second child while I look for more work.

I am hoping I can stick with it this time.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

Welcome, everyone! I'm so glad you've found us here. I hope the Writing Room can help you reach your writerly goals. I look forward to seeing your comments and work on the board.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

wiltingdragonfly wrote:

I am an out of work American teacher of 30. I have been writing since I was seven. I mean short stories and half unfinished  drafts of novels. I have about 10. I get to the three hundredth page and it becomes incomplete. Dose that make me a writer, truly? I have wanted to be a published author since I was 16 but my dreadful problem and a fear of rejection by all that is literary has stopped me. 

Thus I turned my pen to the newspaper for a while and I was great. I loved it. Even the late night deadlines. I quit when I had my first child. The first few months after coming back from maternity leave, I was simply overextended and exhausted. I just did not realize it. I would have stayed on but my husband moved the three of us to a new place without my consent. I thought I hated writing, until I did some freelance writing on my return back to the world of the living. By then it was too late. My need to take care of my child had transformed into wanting a steady paycheck and stability (my reporter job from before was underpaid), rather than fulfilling the desire of my heart and first true love. I had moved to another city and I reestablished connections with the newspaper editors there. They loved my work, but they could not pay me anything until the mag got off the ground for good.

I turned to teaching. I found something relaxing in teaching and utterly terrifying to have someone else's need to learn in your hands. Still I was pretty good at prepping high schoolers for the FCAT. Yes I reside in FLorida and I have to put up with that dreadful test. But the trick is to teach the content and not the test, not that principals understand this.

So I have not written a love story, fantasy, horror or a mystery since I was 20. I am a little ashamed about that. Since I am still receiving empty journals as b-day presents I thought I would put them to use. Especially since I am out of work and just taking care of the second child while I look for more work.

I am hoping I can stick with it this time.

I wish you all the best!  Yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine, who teaches academic online classes.  She will be teaching live classes in Academic writing at our local college, next week.  I talked to her about the differences of all of these types of writing...how to write for their Masters, PhDs, newspapers, magazines, and non fiction.  So much is involved in knowing the differences between these formations of words, it's mind boggling.  She told me, once you get your foot through the door of writing for these news papers, mags, freelance, etc., it's a step in the right direction to getting published.

Keep at it!

Kathy

New User
suecbrn
0 Kudos

Howdy All,

My name is Sue, and I am in my 4th decade (I still cannot believe it) and am once again feeling the need to write. My first and formal education centers around Nursing, and have gone so far as to acquire a Master's degree in it. I have always known I wanted to be a nurse from the time I was very little and knew was nurses were. 

However, it seems through my life I have also felt the call of the writer within. When I was a kid (about 10 or so) I started a neighborhood newsletter.  I had to go and investigate all the facts and write the stories myself. I had to hand type them all out on the typewriter, and then get my Mom to mimeograph them to sell for 5 cents each.  Needless to say, as an active 10-year old, I didn't last long at that venture. Since then however, I have started 3 additional newsletters.  One in college for the College of Nursing to promote communication through the school, One for the hospital where I worked to encourage staff development for those of us who focused on patient education, and lastly, one for the neighborhood again in support of Neighborhood Watch activities. In part, I did my Master's in Nursing through the University of Phoenix online because of the need to write multiple papers and projects.  This is not an easy thing to do while working full-time, but I felt very good doing it at the time despite the time it took to do.  In fact, when I finished the program, it felt very odd to not be writing something.

While I love to read, I guess I previously never saw myself as an author per se.  But, then I got curious about how the authors put their stories together, and started reading everything I could on the subject. After doing a ton of reading, and some writing exercises, I have changed my mind about my ability to author something.  So, I am continuing to research and starting to put together some stories. I am hoping to write a novel at some point. It doesn't have to be published (although one part of me would be jumping with glee if it did), but I like the challenge of putting together the whole thing.

So I am hoping to learn and share here and see what happens!

New User
TamiDee

Hello, I see that this thread was started some time ago, but I just discovered it and thought I would jump in and say hi. 

My name is Tami Dee, and I have to say when my publisher, Desert Breeze Publishing, told me that our house e books were going to be sold at Barns and Noble on line, I was thrilled!  To me, Barns and Noble’s bookshelves, whether literal or electronic, are the best, most worthy, shelves around.

I have enjoyed reading the 'getting to know you' posts, especially the posts from the young adults. It truly warms my heart to hear young ones express a love for reading, and writing. Books were my closest friends growing up, and I always dreamed of writing one myself someday.

My dream was a long time in coming true. I struggle with dyslexia, and for years that obstacle stood in the way of allowing my imagination to take flight. One day I simply got tired of trying to hold back the stories swirling around in my head, and I sat down and began to write my first book, a time travel, romantic adventure, Under a Viking Moon  

I can’t tell you how stunned I was when I was offered a contract for that book, and that one book grew into a four book series. Three of the four books are published now, and each have amazed me by becoming my publishing house Best Sellers. I am now busy writing the fourth and final book in my series which will be out in March 2011.

My advice to any who want more than anything to become an author, is to write what you love. Don’t force it, don’t worry about what is ‘trendy’ or ‘popular’, just write what is in your heart. Better yet, write what you love to read, and you will not go wrong.

There are so many publishers who are looking for fresh voices, and with the amazing world of e publishing now so widely accepted, (after all, who would not love the fact that their books can be bought from anyone, anywhere in the world, with just one click of a mouse?)  the opportunities for new authors to become published have grown tremendously.

Well, I guess I have rambled on long enough; I look forward to getting to know the Barns and Noble communities as an avid reader and an author.

Warmest regards and happy reading,

Tami Dee

Reader
ccsemick

Hey Everyone, I'm Cheryl Courtney Semick, a freelance writer in Chicagoland. I ghostwrite memoirs, edit manuscripts and write a newspaper column for a monthly in Peoria, IL where I lived for 11 years prior to moving back up to the Chicago suburbs.  http://www.ccsemick.com

Thanks for the invitation to introduce myself, Brandi, I'm quite impressed with your writing portfolio! I am new to the Writing Room, in fact I just discovered it after I received my nook and connected to nook on Facebook. I'm really looking forward to connecting with all the writers through this forum.

Let's chat about your book and how I can help you get it polished and ready to publish! http://www.ccsemick.com
New User
jl-21_
0 Kudos

Brandi_R wrote:

Awhile back, our introduction thread disappeared. I think it’s about time we had another one.

New to the Writer’s Room? Introduce yourself here. A long time contributor? Reintroduce yourself or share something about yourself that we don’t already know. Interested in learning more about everyone in the Writing Room? Post your questions here. Any "getting to know you" business can happen here.

I’ll kick things off . . .

I’m Brandi Reissenweber, the Writing Room moderator. I’ve been moderating the Writing Room for several years, all the way back to the days when this space was Barnes & Noble University. I’m a writer and a teacher. My short fiction has appeared in or is forthcoming from Willow Springs, The Briar Cliff Review, Phoebe, and other literary journals. I was a James C. McCreight Fiction Fellow at the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and a Writer-in-Residence for The Jack Kerouac Project of Orlando, where I lived and worked in the house where Jack Kerouac wrote The Dharma Bums. I'm currently at work on a novel.   

I’ve written quite a bit about the craft of creative writing. I authored the chapter on Characterization in Writing Fiction. I’ve also published articles on writing in Poets & Writers and The Writer Magazine and I write a bi-weekly question and answer column for The Writer Magazine’s website. I’ve taught creative writing extensively in the classroom setting—at New York University, University of Wisconsin in Madison, the Graham School at the University of Chicago, Illinois Wesleyan University, and Gotham Writers’ Workshop—and in other settings like hospitals and homeless centers.

I’m thrilled to be moderating the Writing Room. Welcome to everyone in our group—both new and seasoned members! I look forward to learning more about each one of you, continuing our lively discussions about writing, publishing, and the writers’ life, and, of course, reading your work.

Hello IM Leslie  I am 44  I write poetry and short stories

I have 5 children 2 are still at home we have a cat a chinchilla and 2 ball pythons

I am studying relaxation therapy and crystal healing 

I am interested in photography and art 

I am looking forward to being a part of this group

New User
BrandonHalsey
0 Kudos

Hello, 

My name is Brandon Halsey. I recently self-published my first book, a collection of short stories and poetry. You can watch an interview I conducted about my book here.

Assorted Poems and Purple Prose