Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

Have name, need ideas

OK, I know this request sounds strange, but here it goes:

I am in the process of creating a character.  She's in her mid/late 20s and I've named her Josette.  Josette also has a twin brother, Michael, who's a lawyer.  He's separate from Josette (meaning: what she does in jobs has no bearing on him in the story what-so-ever).  I wanted to make everything clear.

I have an idea of what she looks like-that part is settled.

However, I haven't figured out an occupation for Josette.  She's going to college, but what for, is my question.  I mean, I'm not going to have a character that's just doing nothing with his/her "spare time".

So here's the challenge: Forget all the Josettes you know already in your own reading life/writing life/real life. 

Imagine the name Josette alone in your mind.  What do you imagine a girl named Josette doing in this modern world as a job? 

Distinguished Correspondent
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

Re: Have name, need ideas

Hi Platinum!

You really didn't give us much to go on, in terms of Josette's upbringing, parents' occupations, or what part of the country she lives in.  The only clue was that her twin brother is a lawyer. 

So, assuming you want Josette to have an occupation roughly equal to her lawyerly brother, I'd have her working toward a Masters Degree in something concrete, (like Business - not Philosophy).  That way she could probably step right into Management in some company/corporation.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

What Marilyn said. Wish I could be of more help, but I'm like thirteen, dog tired (in a if-I-don't-go-to-bed-soon-I'm-gonna-fall-flat-on-my-face kind of way), and I'm concentrating mostly on Kristnia Debarge's lyrics to "Goodbye." Meh, but I'm pretty sure you get the general idea...and no, I am not usually this whinny xD

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

Hi PP!!  Yes!  I got the best job! *I think :]* LOL

Okay, I think she should work in the fashion industries, then later in the story she gets promoted to manager.  Thanks everyone else!  You helped me with the manager part!! :]

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
Wordsmith
Capuchin
0 Kudos

The first thing that strikes me is why she is so far behind in her education.

The obvious, to me, reason is that she was involved in something that has to be done young, and she moved on when she got a little too old or the romance of it began to fade.

Model turned into a fashion writer.

Solider who became a bodyguard.

Second-story thief transformed into a security consultant.

Girl-band drummer now a manager/agent.

Or maybe she spent years satisfying her wanderlust and found in niche in the travel industry.

Any of these also fits the name.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -- Robert Heinlein
Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help.  I know my question's odd, but you helped me a good bit...I have some idea for my character now.

Inspired Correspondent
Jane_Doe
0 Kudos

I've never meet a Josette before, so I'm not sure what to think, but what I imagined might TOTALLY derail the story so its kinda stupid to say anyways.  but I imagined a Josette as a ballet teacher for children.  Though you're character might not even dance so I'm not sure...

"Let the world be torn apart, may our lives be ripped away, simply so that we may be broken souls together."
-Andrea Hansen
Inspired Correspondent
Jane_Doe
0 Kudos

Although my idea would be for just a random kind of job, not college or anything.

"Let the world be torn apart, may our lives be ripped away, simply so that we may be broken souls together."
-Andrea Hansen