Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

I would like some help with my story

I am trying to write a story/book. I'm having a bit of trouble. I can't get it to feel real. It's about a whole different time period. Also it's a love story where I really have no experience. For the time period, should I research it? I realize that is probably a dumb question.
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

Re: I would like some help with my story

Do you think I should give up for now?
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Yue
Frequent Contributor
Yue
0 Kudos

No, I can see where your coming from with this. What you're trying to write is called "historical fiction." Where your trying to write you story in a different time period. Before you research extensively why don't you try and read some books that take place in your time period and take some notes. Of course I'm not telling you to plagarize, but it helps to see how a different author places the characters and setting in that time period.

No experience? No problem. The more you write the more experienced you become. Right now it's about writing the actual story and not worrying about the small stuff.

"All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way." ~Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

Thanks for the ideas.
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Frequent Contributor
Evanescence2008
0 Kudos

If it's from a different time period, then yes definately you should research it.  That's the only way to make the story believeable.  You should even make sure that your characters names are one's that would have been used in the time period.  Also, if it's back in time, relationships between men and women were different, you would need to know things about how people acted in society.  Like in the 1700's and 1800's I know men and women weren't really left alone together, unless they were married.  Usually also, there wasn't to many ways people who were in love could touch each other if it was something that was suppose to be hidden or if they liked someone and they didn't want someone knowning it.  Say for instance that your male character comes from a noble family or a much wealthier family than your female character.  They know by societies standards that they shouldn't be together and the only way that they are able to touch is at a ball where you don't only dance with your partner.  Your usually dancing in a group of six people, depending on the dance,  and you interact with everyone in that group.  So yes, doing research is important.
New User
girl-with-a-golden-pen
0 Kudos

Read books on that time period, read books written in that time period to get a feel of things. There are usually good documentaires on the History Channel that could also help with your writing peice. If you live near a big library they usually have newspapers archives; sometimes they can be of help also when it comes ot writing historical fiction.
Brandi_R
0 Kudos

There are lots of great suggestions here. You certainly want the work to be grounded in a realistic setting. Read as much as you can about the time period. If it's an era in time that had the technology of photos, see if you can find some images or movies from the time. Pay attention to clothing, mannerisms, surroundings, etc. Good luck--and keep us updated on what you find!

Is anyone else in the process of researching for their creative writing? How is it going for you

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
AbsolutePirateVampyre
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I've actually written 2 different stories since I started on that one. I kept them more in a present setting so I didn't have to worry about time periods. Let me know if you want me to post them. Or parts of them.
Message Edited by AbsolutePirateVampyre on 11-24-2008 06:05 PM
Awesometastic ^ =.= ^
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I know for a fact that you have to research books, documentaries and on line for a lot of information. That is what I'm doing right now for a couple of my stories and while it isn't easy, it sure does help. Not to mention, everyone likes to read a book that is accurate. (Just be warned, it can be time consuming when you don't know how to learn about your time period, so you will have set aside time before really getting into your story.)
Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 11-26-2008 11:45 AM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain