Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
redheart52

If you had to choose...

If you had to choose between reading or writing what would you pick?

I would pick writing because it allows me to be creative. What about you? I am just curious.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Re: If you had to choose...

Writing! No competition there. Though I love reading, to me, it's merely a pastime, a hobby. Writing, for me, is a passion--something I couldn't bear to live without. I love creating my own scenarios and worlds using words. Simply can't live without it.

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

New User
WritingRampant
0 Kudos

That's definitely a tough choice. I love both. But I think I like learning just a little bit more and there is no better way to learn than to READ!!
When you get to the pearly gates and St. Peter asks you for one word to describe yourself, whats it going to be?
Frequent Contributor
birdsongDS
0 Kudos

Very simple question but one I have never been asked. I love to read and it allows me to dream and be absorbed into the writing. But to write is a cleansing of the soul. It is almost an unconcious effort to express myself to others. I have to vote for writing.
Bibliophile
Silvermist24
0 Kudos

I can't choose!
Baby you can drive my car,
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Contributor
Selber44

I actually don't think I could do one without the other. 
"Trying to create a world, even in words, is good occupational theory for lunatics who think they're Gods and an excellent argument for polytheism."
SM Stirling
Distinguished Correspondent
simple_girl
0 Kudos

I don't think that I conciously choose one over the other, however, I tend to find that I have more time to read then write. That is due to the fact that writing takes a whole process and creative inspiration which, I don't always have the time for. Reading I can do on my commute more easily. When writing I get distracted by surrounding noises and motion. I need a quite place for it.

If I had to choose....mmmm....I need them both equally so it is impossible to say. I just do one or the other when time allows it and when feeling draws me in one direction. Reading is an escape but so is writing. I get equal positive results from both.

"It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do or fail to do."
Bibliophile
Silvermist24
0 Kudos

IK what you mean.
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Luna93
0 Kudos

Well i just started writing but i love it. you kinda get to be creative and it doesn't matter what you write about. :smileyhappy:
All I want is for you to be happy
And take this moment and make you my family
And finally you have found someone perfect
Finally you have found
~RHCP
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

i couldn't live without the other.
You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
marilynpsychic
0 Kudos

As much as I love to write, I would have to pick reading first.  Without reading, I'd have little information on the world, beyond my senses and observation.  Once I've read enough, and realize I have things to say that I've not seen in print, then I can write.  Whether fiction (for my amusement, initially) or non-fiction (and I do write comments to articles in the on-line newspapers I subscribe to).
"I'm a writer. I give the truth scope." Chaucer (character) in movie "A Knight's Tale"
Frequent Contributor
bookwormSV
0 Kudos

I agree with Selber, I don't think i could one without the other!:smileyhappy:

Imagine, Create, Inspire & you will be successful.

Stace aka BookwormSV