Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

If you read books--have a say!

I can jump from board to board and from message to message, gleaning out bits of information from readers about what they like and what they don't like. Now here's a place to consolidate all of that. If you read books, what do you like and what do you hate? This can mean anything about books from titles, to styles, to subjects and cliches. Want to reach writers and let them know what you're thinking or what you're wanting, post it here!
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: If you read books--have a say!

Here's the kind of book I love to read and write:  Fantasy, sci-fi, horror and mystery.

Some of my favorite authors from each genre:  Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett, Laurie R. King, Ray Bradbury

Some of my favorite books from each genre:  Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones, Hogfather by Terry Pratchett, The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King, From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

Favorite Books:Twilight series(Twilight, New Moon,Eclipse) by Stephenie Meyer
The Host by Stephenie Meyer
the Private series(Private,Invitation Only,Untouchable,Confessions,Inner Circle,Legacy,and Ambition) by Kate Brain
Lucky T by Kate Brain
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brain
this Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Lock & Key by Sarah Dessen
Wake by Lisa McMann
and Bass Ackward & Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft+ Sarah Fain
those r my fav books SO FAR.
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Favorite genres:  Fiction, poetry
Favorite books:  Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Love in the Time of Cholera, Pedro Paramo, Harry Potter series, A Series of Unfortunate Events, etc.
Favorite writers:  Jane Austen, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Juan Rulfo, Elie Wiesel, Shakespeare, etc.
Least favorite genres:  Science fiction, horror
I love very poetic writing styles that provoke thought -- they inspire me and get me into the writing frame of mind.  I dislike the use of descriptions, similes, etc. that have been used over and over again...  Uniqueness and power of expression are what will grab my interest.  :smileyhappy: 
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Specific books likes and dislikes so noted. What about types of fiction, settings, types of characters, that sort of thing. Is there anything you think there is too much of out there right now? Is there something you'd love to see make a come back? What do you think is on the wan and what is rising?
Frequent Contributor
Evanescence2008
0 Kudos

My favorite author is Nicholas Sparks.

Steve Berry-The Templar Legacy and The Romanov Prophecy

I just finished reading Angels and Demons from Dan Brown and I have to say that book was incredible.  It is bulky at 712 pages but if you like mystery, secret societies, and surprise endings, you'll love this book.

I also love history books including books about the Holocaust (Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, The Pianist, Auschwitz, etc.)

The Mayflower by Philbreck

Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence

And many more books.