Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Lady_Wrighte
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Greetings, fellow scribblers!

I am a recent college graduate with a degree in English, although through the vagaries of fate medieval studies has become my driving academic passion. I was quite a prolific writer of fiction in the first grade; however, as the years progressed my writing skills were bent mainly on analyzing the literature of others. Now that I've graduated and find myself with six or so glorious hours of free time after work, I've decided to try my hand at writing fiction again. My mother tells me it will be shame if I don't publish a book before I die, so I've decided to trust her advice (as far as anyone can trust that of his or her parents, concerning talents which one may or may not actually have). In any case, I'm starting with some shorter pieces which I hope to work up the courage to post here for criticism. We'll see where things go from there!
Rouse up thy youthful blood, be valiant, and live.
-Richard II, 1.3.83
New User
Spiritwriter1
0 Kudos

Hi everyone I am so happy to have the opportunity to introduce myself to all of you.
My name is Michelle Colson and I am a Paranormal Investigator and Author. My book is titled "Ghost Hunter's field guide to Ohio."

You can read all the details of the book right here at Barnes and Noble.
Although the title says Ohio, anyone who enjoys history or the paranormal will love this book.
I have already had three five star reviews!
If any of you have the chance to read this book, please let me know what you thought of it.
Michelle Colson
www.spiritwriter.com
Michelle Colson
Author of "Ghost Hunter"s Field Guide to Ohio"
www.spiritwriter.com
Contributor
PBuermele
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello! My name is Paula. I enjoy the company of other writers and am ALWAYS eager both to learn new things and to continually work on improving my writing skills. My first novel was published via an excellent POD publisher in May, 2007, and now I am beginning work my second novel. I think the discipline of participating in this online writing club will be both fun and enlightening. You can learn more about me at my website, www.thedreamcatchertour.com or by clicking on my profile.

Message Edited by PBuermele on 08-20-2007 09:38 PM

Message Edited by PBuermele on 08-20-2007 09:40 PM
Paula Buermele
www.thedreamcatchertour.com
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

hi!

my name is page and i'm currently writing a novel--or the beginning of it, at least. i'm nearly 12 years old, and i really enjoy writing and reading. my mom won't let me read the da vinci code, but i want to! i've read lots of gory books before. has anyone read Castaways of the Flying Dutchman or the sequels? they are AWESOME! i hope to make some new friends here in the writing room!

peace,
page
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
Oceandweller777
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,
My name is Phill, I am 21 years old, currently in Iraq. I'm in the Marine Corps and really miss writing.
I started reading as the best for of escapism and I've wanted to write for some while. Always loved English because it gave me a voice. Before I joined the Marines I was timid and couldn't express myself unless you gave me a peice of paper and a pen.
Currently entertaining a few ideas of what I'd like to write, nothing too revolutionary but I'll be glad for any feed back you can give.
I'm really looking for a place to share and get some ideas beyond that question "what does that word mean."
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a writing degree, and have been toiling for years to really understand novel writing. I'm mainly trained in non-fiction. I think I "got it" finally. Finding a subject was my sticking point. Everything I thought about was "boring" and so I learned to find a subject. It was hard, but I stuck with it, and may have a good novel here in a few months. I'm working on a first draft right now. Thanks, CRL
New User
hayashiakira
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Aki and I am college student.

Though I have some ideas for stories, I haven't really sat down and wrote them until now. Since I have had no formal creative writing instruction and I don't have much experience in expressing myself creatively in words, my stories are in dialogue form. They are also geared towards MANGA so I guess, in a way, the dialogue format suits the MANGA style well.

I look forward to meeting new friends here and reading your works. Thanks for the time!

Oh, and if you have the time, please see my work at: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1310476

THANKS A BUNCH!
"Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius." -- Bishop Fulton Sheen
Contributor
mg_p
0 Kudos

The pursuit of disciplined writing is a new found interest and I am excited about sharing my work in this forum.

Glad to be here.
M. G. P.
New User
JusMara
0 Kudos

Hi,
My name is Jus Mara and I am from a small town in Michigan. I hope you enjoy reading and critiqueing my writing as much as I enjoy reading and critiqueing yours. I have loved writing for a long time and have taken creative writing all through highschool and so far through college. I like writing personal essays and realistic fiction as well as other things. Look forward to getting your feedback and hope to have something posted soon.
*~Justin~*
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I don't think I have introduced myself, just sort of barged in and insulted other people's work. I'm abi and yeah, that's pretty much the extent of it, really. I like to write, obviously, and I'm far too sarcastic for my own good, er...what else? Harry Potter, I adore, along with reading in general. Would adding more exclamation points make my life seem more interesting? Ahh, I would say look at my profile but if I remember correctly it says the SAME thing---*remembers exclamation points**---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, yeah, just to clear that up, my names not really ABI---they are initials. I just realized it looks like my name's Abi!

Message Edited by ABI on 09-01-2007 02:47 AM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Contributor
JC_Coy
0 Kudos

Hello from Cincinnati. I have been writing since my teen years...many moons ago. I've been writing seriously for two years. I write dark urban fantasy, and flat out, blood and gut drenched horror. I'm currently doing the agent hunt thang with one ms, editing/revising another, and just beginning a third. Oh yeah, I have two trunk novels that will remain there until the end of time.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i like any form of expression. i like to get away from my thoughts, cuz i think too much (most days) when im at home i try to write. maybe its due to insomia or something. i can sleep all day, thats why usually when i wake up everybody's asleep or simply just getting ready for bed. so when ive no one to talk to i do THIS. i write on my journal. i write about why i like to write. what i do when im bored, i write about myl thoughts.. im not a wide reader, i love hearing other people's stories .abi is telling me to post some of my stuff. dont expect too much. id like to get a feedback from you guys. which would be soo cool =)
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Hi, i was browsing the the site and ws really excited when i came upon 'the writing room', i've never done any major writing except articles for newsletters, and mainly editing of a technical nature, however i am very interested in producing some major work in the future.
Charles Darwin interets me most where non-fiction in concerned, As regards fiction I like Jules Verne and HG Wells.
Maybe i'll be able to get some good writing advice from this site and its contributors.
for example, where do i start? How do i plan?
Thinker
Frequent Contributor
M-Elffriend
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Newly published Author seeks help and feedback. Also willing to give help or feedback. I am Michael E. Hill Author of Lord Emberstone's Quest wich just happens to be available right here at BarnesandNoble.com You can view my Bio on my website at www.Lordemberstonesquest.com as well as e-mail info. Hope this room can work for all of us.
Author Lord Emberstone's Quest www.lordemberstonesquest.com
New User
September
0 Kudos

Hello,I'm Özge from Turkey.I'm a student

Actually,ı joined this site in an interesting way.I saw "Barnes&Noble" writing on a nylon bag.It attracted me because of writing which came from famous novel.Anyhow ı was looking for a website which is about books.So ı am so happy to join you.I hope ı will have a graet time here.I suppose you're going to give some opinions about my short stories which ı want to write.

Nice to meet y'all!
"Come, come again, whoever you are, come!
Heathen, fire worshipper or idolatrous, come!
Come even if you broke your penitence a hundred times,
Ours is the portal of hope, come as you are"
Mevlana
"Experience is the best teacher..."
"The morrow was a bright September morn;
The earth was beautiful as if new-born;
There was that nameless splendor everywhere,
That wild exhilaration in the air,
Which makes the passers in the city street
Congratulate each other as they meet."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
New User
katdr
0 Kudos

I am having a moment in my life because I am about to be eligible for Medicare and even worse my eldest son is turning 40 next month. I have two other children and seven grans under the age of 7 with another due in March. I have just spent a wonderful summer with them all in the Adirondacks.

I live in Florida and am so happy here. I think I was a closet Floridian for many years before I moved here 12 years ago. I became engaged this summer to a wonderful guy who I have known for 52 years. He was the younger man in my life, aged 8 when we met, I was 12. When he asked me to marry him this summer in Paris no less, I told him I have flunked marriage three times, so couldn’t we just live together? “No,” he said, “I never thought I’d find anyone I wanted to spend my life with and now I have and I want to marry you.” We are very happy as are our families. God I sound "happy happy happy" but really life is good for now.

A little about myself, I was a high school drop out in the late ‘60s. After I married and had three children I decided to get a college degree so that I could be paid for the work that I had been doing in the field of child abuse and neglect for 17 years. At 38 I began my undergraduate degree and then I received 2 master’s degrees, one in Divinity and one in Social Work. I retired in 1995 and moved to Florida and am now very involved in many local and national boards.

I began to write about three years ago with Gotham Writers. I love the process and people you meet in these classes.

Someone in a class I’m currently taking suggested we try this writing room. So here I am.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hi katdr, i love you're being be open and honest about yourself. =)
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Clippership14. You can click on my name to find out some overall facts about me. I like to read but writing has always been one of my favorite things. I've been comfortably doing it for years. I also enjoy writing books with other people. I have a handful of manuscripts sitting around waiting in turn to be polished. Haven't gotten up the nerve to submit a book manuscript yet, though I'm determined to do it very soon. I have published a magazine article and a poem in the past. They really aren't my medium but it was a way to get my feet wet, so to speak. I've really enjoyed browsing around the boards reading people's feedback and suggestions. Things are so positive here it's heartening!
New User
Spring
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
hi katdr, i love you're being be open and honest about yourself. =)

Hi Kat! I'm Marie, from your Creative Writing Class, the one who told you about this website. You inspired me to actually register, though I've spent a lot of time here reading. Now, I'm official too. This site is inspirational.
Marie
New User
Dhanna
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello, Brandi! After having taken some of your writing courses, I was glad to discover that you are doing this board (and even spotted a few familiar names from previous classes). Although I write mostly poetry and a monthly column about pets, I have also written essays, articles, interviews, and short stories. Some of my poems and articles have been published, both online and off; but I have a lot of ideas for a possible novel (or collection of short stories), and am hoping to share ideas and encouragement with this group. I live in Vermont, where the fall foliage is painting the hillsides -- a great place and time of year for inspiration!

Message Edited by Dhanna on 09-29-2007 08:01 PM