03-20-2012 06:28 PM
I'm 15 and I'm currently writing a book. The title is Toxic Acid Love. (It's pending c Some basic points of my novel are:
- Main Character: Cassie. She's 16
- Cassie has never had a proper boyfriend
- She only has these 'one week' flings with guys
- She thinks that guys are to untrustworthy to fully devote herself to a relationship
- Why? Because her dad cheated on her mother with her sixth grade teacher
- Cassie also portrays herself as a bitch, so no one can really get close to her (except her best friend Becca)
- All of Cassie's friends think she's this loose girl
- Which isn't exactly true because she is a virgin
- Then her and Becca come up with this bet
- The Bet: If she dates only one guy for the whole summer, her friends get off her back about dating for fun and no strings attached, but if she doesn't and loses the bet then she needs to stop doing what she does and needs to start reflecting on her actions
- Cassie meets Shaun
- Shaun is kind of like the skater boy type, and is extremely sweet. He's 17.
- At first when they start dating, Cassie just focused on the 'bet', and nothing but the 'bet'.
- But the more she and shaun talk, she realizes that it's okay to open up and let her guard down
- she trusts shaun
- Problem 1: her dad wants back into the family, and her mom just might let that happen
- Cassie on the other hand, hates that idea and hates her dad with all her heart
- Problem 2: In the middle part of the book, Shaun finds out that Cassie dated all these guys and about the whole bet thing, and he feels used.
- Her 'friend' Karen told him. Karen is jealous that Cassie is finally growing up, and maturing
- Problem 3: Cassie falls in love with Shaun, but he doesn't want to speak with her
- Cassie sees Shaun talking with his ex Violet and thinks they're gettting back together so she accepts that and starts dating her ex Chad.
- The End: Becca notices that Cassie really loved Shaun and gets them back together and explains that Cassie really had changed and learned
- Cassie forgives her dad
- Cassie's mom let's her dad visit but that's it. They don't get back together.
That's the basic outline or vision I have for the story. I still have a lot of work though!! c: So is there anything that might need to change or reconsider? Thanks c:
03-20-2012 08:45 PM
Your character (Cassie) seems very relatable and realistic for her age. Although I would question how much "one guy a week" dating she's been doing since she's only 16, but this is without knowing anything about her personality.
The only thing I really saw that I would say you should maybe think about reconsidering is the terms of the bet. The bet in itself doesn't really seem like a strong enough plot to carry the story. Maybe if it was about more than just her friends laying off her about dating. Make sure the bet is one she can't afford to lose, and I think you'll have your story. It could also help with her character development throughout the ordeal: Has it changed her? How does it affect her life, friends, etc.
Good luck with this, and be sure to post some of it for us!
03-21-2012 04:14 PM
thanks! ^-^ and i did wonder whether or not the bet thing needs to be stronger, so thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!