Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Methods of Writing

Hey fellow writers! I just thought that I should bring up the topic of methods of writing. Now I'm just wondering, what method you use when you write? Do you use the traditional think and plan, write and re-write method. Or do you use this method that I read about online, it's called the snowflake method. I may have forgotten how it goes but this what I think it is.
Step 1: spend time thinking and write a sentence about your novel.
Step 2: spend more time thinking and write a paragraph of what your novel is about.
Step 3: write a few pages of what your book is about. And after that I forgot what the rest of it was.

Or do you use your own unique method? And if you do use any of these methods or some other kind, why do you use it and not something else?

As for me, I do some research (if needed) on the book first. What I mean is research to make it accurate to the period it is set in, technology used then, etc. etc. Then I think about it, make notes about the characters, their role in the novel, the whole plot of the book, and thing like that. But then I've only written one novel so far! But a second and many more are on the way!:smileyhappy:
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Methods of Writing

First of all, welcome back. It's been quite a while, hasn't it? I presume you're back in school now, and I hope it's going well for you.
My approach to writing is that I almost never plan. I can't expect myself to just sit down and plan something out and then begin writing it; I have to be in a certain mood. Usually what happens is that either a sentence or a description or something will come to me if I'm feeling inspired, and then I'll think about where to go from there a little bit, but I basically let myself write whatever comes to me. Then I go back and tie up loose ends and such after I've written a first draft. I only do this because it works best for me. I assume that if I were to write a novel, I would do some planning, because it is much more difficult to keep a full novel completely coherent if you don't plan, whereas you can sort of get away with it for a short story because it's much easier to fix gaps.
Congrats on having finished your novel, by the way. That must have taken a lot of time and effort. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

I plan in chunks of about 100-150 pages forward. I cut these up into different chunks of actions and then outline, knowing what I need to do to get to my ending.
Each set of action is further planned and outlined.
After my writing, I have a fallow time (crop rotation?) in which I analyze and prepare for the next set of words.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I sit down, and see what comes to me. Whatever words flow from my pen to the paper in the first chapter will be the center for my book. I usually write a few more chapters, and then come to a conclusion (though often it changes as I go on) as to what I want to do with what I've got. My very approach to everything, it seems. I evaluate what I have once I am close enough to finishing, then write my ending.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
First of all, welcome back. It's been quite a while, hasn't it? I presume you're back in school now, and I hope it's going well for you.
My approach to writing is that I almost never plan. I can't expect myself to just sit down and plan something out and then begin writing it; I have to be in a certain mood. Usually what happens is that either a sentence or a description or something will come to me if I'm feeling inspired, and then I'll think about where to go from there a little bit, but I basically let myself write whatever comes to me. Then I go back and tie up loose ends and such after I've written a first draft. I only do this because it works best for me. I assume that if I were to write a novel, I would do some planning, because it is much more difficult to keep a full novel completely coherent if you don't plan, whereas you can sort of get away with it for a short story because it's much easier to fix gaps.
Congrats on having finished your novel, by the way. That must have taken a lot of time and effort. :smileyhappy:

Yes, I'm in 8th grade. It's nice to be back.

I kind of write more like that too. Actualy it depends on what I'm writing. As you know I'm a historybuff so when I write everything has to be pretty accurate. For my next book it's going to be a World War III scenario, so it's going to be complex. That is why I need to plan ahead for this book. But for others it's easier if I just come up with the characters and a little of the plot and just write.

Would it be alright if after I'm done with a few little things on my novel that I post it here?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Why wouldn't it? You created the thread. :smileyhappy:

The "never planning" thing has always worked for me, but I realize if I am truly serious about my writing, and getting published, planning is somewhat mandatory.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

I can't plan what I write. I think of a subject then write on a totally different topic. I did write a story more like a novel and my friends liked it. But I'm to big a chicken to see what else I could do with the story. Besides when I got my story back my firends all put in their ideas and then it was like a 100 pages long. I gave it to my friend last year in 8th grade and she never gave it back. But that's besides the point. It helps me write more if my friends help out with it. Especially when you hit a block. Then they can write some and you just continue with the story with some new ideas.
Baker