Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

NaNoWriMo, anyone?

Just wondering if anyone here is planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month?

The website is www.nanowrimo.org and sign-up begins on October 1st ... you can browse the old archives right now but they're upgrading and you can't sign in till the 1st. Writing begins on November 1st and lasts till November 30th. The goal is to write a 50,000 word story all in one month. It's great fun!

Wanted to post a heads-up for those who might have forgotten about it, or hadn't heard of it yet, in time for everyone to be able to plan a bit.

I haven't been on here much since the end of the sci-fi writing club, so forgive me if someone already posted about this. Off to browse the forums now!

:smileyhappy:
Kristen
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

Re: NaNoWriMo, anyone?

I would seriously need a months worth of vacation for that one. I know enough about my writing to know you'd be lucky if you got 50000 words in 2-3 months, but it sounds like a real fun event.
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Yeah, it's a riot. You don't write GOOD, you write FAST. Pushes past writer's block and all that. It's only 1667 words a day, which is not that bad.
Contributor
JC_Coy
0 Kudos

I'm doing it. I should be able to hit the 50K, but I'm not writing fast just to beat a deadline that means nothing. A month is too much time to spend writing nothing but crap that would take three times as long to edit into something. If it could be salvaged at all.
Contributor
bobzyeruncle
0 Kudos

My plan is to do it. I participated in 2005 (didn't finish, but got some good short story ideas out of it) and 'won' last year.

I came up with an idea a couple days ago that might pan out into something for it ... or I could take a couple characters I've been toying with and toss them into some sort of crucible.

Or ... as I've done in the past, just start writing and see where it goes.

It's an amazing journey, to get out of your head and just write for the sake of getting words on a page.
:: :: ::

Bob
www.bobzyeruncle.com
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Ooh, another third-year! I have a feeling this is the year I'll fail, but I'm gonna have fun trying, and cheer on everybody else.

Still waiting for one of my ideas to solidify into something.
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Last year was my first year doing nano. I am very excited to get started again. I didn't finish last year, but I am hopeful for this year. Although, just the actual writing and getting something accomplished makes me feel like a winner anyway...lol

Hope to see you there!

Jody
Contributor
yourgirlie
0 Kudos

I'm in! This will be my first year being a Wrimo, and I've already attended one write-in (to get to know the other Wrimos in the area). Our kick-off party is on Sunday, yay!

I am so very very excited and it's incredibly hard not to start writing yet :smileysad: But it should be fun!!

Good luck to all, see you on NaNo forums :smileywink:

Btw...check out the Dares thread! great stuff! I've already taken like 25 dares, methinks :smileytongue:

-J
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

yay! More writers!

Yep, even getting started makes you a winner!

Hope to see y'all there!
Frequent Contributor
mae-V
0 Kudos

Hey Kristen! Glad to sea a familiar name. Browsing my old SF writing group posts to get warmed up for this year's NaNo. Year 3 for me.
#Play tasty!#
Contributor
BlackRabbit
0 Kudos

I'm new to the board and I just learned about NaNoWriMo from your thread. THANK YOU. I've registered and am looking forward to the start of the contest(?). I've been working on a novel for a long time and haven't made much progress lately. This sounds like just what I need.
Zoom Zoom!

Andy
New User
Hikari-san
0 Kudos

I absolutely adore Nanowrimo! This is my second year doing it. I won last year, but it was really hard because I planned it too much... My advice: take lots of dares and talk to people for social time and not just advice.
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

Yay! More writers!

I forgot to check back and see, now that I've been busy with their forums.

Good luck, everyone! I'll keep checking in to see how we're progressing. Anyone needs a buddy over at Nano, let me know.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Sounds fun. Doubt I'd be able to though. My computer has so far managed to delete half my iTunes library, and too many pages of my writing to count. The application will just quit suddenly. It sucks. I'd be terrified I'd loose it...

Seriously though, I might if I'm up to it, and feel like clicking "save" every five seconds as not to loose anything should word quit. :smileyhappy:
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

You can do it!

I will save, a little flash drive and lots of frequent saves will help a good deal. :smileyhappy:

Let us know if you sign up!
Frequent Contributor
KristenS
0 Kudos

It's almost time!!!