Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

NaNoWriMo

Any previous or planned participants?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

Re: NaNoWriMo

I've done it the last five years.  Insane, intense, and irresistible.  :smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

New User
Emtock
0 Kudos

Yes! This will be my second year doing NaNoWriMo and I can't wait :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

I've never done this before, but I found the book "No Plot? No Problem!" and decided to give it a try.  I originally planned to just use the book as a blue print and do this in the month of September, but I went to the web site and signed up, and now plan to be an "official" participant, hoping the public exposure of the word count coupled with ego will allow me to actually go through with it.

I haven't actually written a word of prose since I was a kid, so we'll see.  I have a vague outline to start with, and a few random thoughts in a notebook, and that's about it.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

This is a great time to start thinking about that. Get your thoughts flowing now so that come writing time, you're ready to go. Good luck everyone. Do check in here and let us know how it's going!

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Contributor
Holly_Jahangiri
0 Kudos

It's gone reunion status for me, but of course I'll be there. How could I NOT be there? My first NaNoWriMo was in 2001. I keep thinking, "One day, I'll use the time wisely, like Sara Gruen..." and then find myself holding court in the DTAU thread. (If you don't KNOW, don't even ask. Just search - so you know the seedy places to avoid. Or not.)

----
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

Well, you shouldn't have said "don't ask", cause now I have to ask.  What's DTAU? I looked at all the threads I could find here, then popped over to the NaNoWriMo site and looked there, and nothing appears to fit.  I Google'd the acronym, and none of those seem likely.

So give.  Waddup with "DTAU"?  (I likes me some seedy places from time to time)

Contributor
Holly_Jahangiri
0 Kudos

Fine. Just remember - you asked.

QAoaS

----
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

Holly_Jahangiri wrote:

Fine. Just remember - you asked.

QAoaS

And right glad I am that I did!  :-)

Contributor
Holly_Jahangiri
0 Kudos

I could call it "absurdist fantasy," but that would be like putting window dressing on an elephant and calling it a dancing mouse.

:smileyhappy:

----
New User
Thela83
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know!  I just signed up as well.  I haven't wrote much outside of journaling since I was younger.  I'm excited to get writing again!

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

I've done Nano I think 8 times now...I started in 2001 and missed 2 years because I wasn't feeling sufficiently motivated those times.  I "won" in 2008, which was pretty sweet. 

I'm going to go for it again this year but I am really wondering what to write this time. I'm thinking something steampunk (but not with zombies or vampires thank you very much!), part fantasy and part historical. 

Just Read: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Now: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Next: ?
Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

My New Years resolution this year was "Write a Novel". Of course I've thought and though and thought about what to make, what genre, what plot, 1st person or normal... And here it is October 7th already and I'm still back where I started with no idea what to do or how to do it.

So when a friend mentioned NaNoWriMo I signed up. It'll be my last chance, really, to not fail on my New Years resolution. 

As for the craziness of the New Years resolution... I've never written a novel or more than two or three pages of anything I think. So you'd think a person like me would never even come up with such a hair brained idea. The problem is I'm opinionated. LOL. For write or wrong I was looking at a certain series of vampire books and thought... "This person is getting rich off of the worst writing ever." I know, not a very nice thing to think. I can feel hordes of vampire fans suddenly grow angry and want to rip into me. So that is when I came up with my New Years resolution. I realized instantly back then that I could not go about with such an opinionated view unless I too wrote a novel.

So yes. I plan on taking part in NaNoWriMo. Mostly because after ten months of thinking about plots and characters and genres it has just become the most massive beast in my head. I actually call it The Beast too. I've got nothing yet I feel like Spaulding Grey lugging around his monster in a box. 

Whatever form it takes I need to get it out.

Brandi_R
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

November is quickly approaching! I bet you're getting excited. Good luck to all of you. I hope you'll check in here and give us updates on how things are going.

letterpressfiction.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

My New Years resolution this year was "Write a Novel". Of course I've thought and though and thought about what to make, what genre, what plot, 1st person or normal... And here it is October 7th already and I'm still back where I started with no idea what to do or how to do it.

So when a friend mentioned NaNoWriMo I signed up. It'll be my last chance, really, to not fail on my New Years resolution. 

As for the craziness of the New Years resolution... I've never written a novel or more than two or three pages of anything I think. So you'd think a person like me would never even come up with such a hair brained idea. The problem is I'm opinionated. LOL. For write or wrong I was looking at a certain series of vampire books and thought... "This person is getting rich off of the worst writing ever." I know, not a very nice thing to think. I can feel hordes of vampire fans suddenly grow angry and want to rip into me. So that is when I came up with my New Years resolution. I realized instantly back then that I could not go about with such an opinionated view unless I too wrote a novel.

So yes. I plan on taking part in NaNoWriMo. Mostly because after ten months of thinking about plots and characters and genres it has just become the most massive beast in my head. I actually call it The Beast too. I've got nothing yet I feel like Spaulding Grey lugging around his monster in a box. 

Whatever form it takes I need to get it out.

Good luck, to you! 

You don't have an inkling of what you want to write? 

You could write about a writer who thinks like you do...(no it doesn't matter the genre, there are crappy writers everywhere, so don't feel guilty)  He (the writer) thinks...... Why are these writers making money off of Vampires?.... The writer comes across [something] that leads him to believe that vampires really do exist!  (write it as a farce)  The writer makes a deal with the vampires,(blackmail) doing what he tells them, so he can write about their horribleness, their rampage on the unsuspecting world of innocent people.  If I were writing it, it would be a world of innocent men, falling head over heals in love with these women vampires, only to have the vampire women, sucking the men dry of their money!  Which makes the writer rich, as he writes about their exploitations!  And the world stays unsuspecting!

The End

Just a crazy thought, if you want it....:smileyhappy:

Contributor
DPManwell
0 Kudos

I've done NaNoWriMo the last two years. In 2008, I finished, and though my story was awful, I had fun writing it. In 2009, I didn't finish. I got busy and my story ran out of steam.

I'm doing it again this year, and I think I'll do a lot more planning ahead this time.

Contributor
RC15
0 Kudos

I'm thinking about participating this year. Would you suggest it for middle schoolers?

Contributor
Holly_Jahangiri
0 Kudos

I would, but I would suggest they participate via the YWP (Young Writers Program) run by the same folks: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/

Check it out - they have great resources! And notice that the word-count is more flexible and age-appropriate: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/wordcount - remember, school's still in session and there's no grade for NaNoWriMo! (Unless the teacher is utilizing the program in the classroom, which would be really cool!)

----
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

This will be my first time signing up-I'm excited but not sure what to expect! Should be interesting though, they do have good advice on the YA page

----------------------------------------------
Contributor
honeybump
0 Kudos

I just signed up for my first one.  Not sure what to expect, but I ended up finishing my upcoming novel, The Gaslight Journal (release date Thanksgiving Day) in about a month--20 chapters, or about 60,000 words, so I hope this will go as well.  I wrote 2,500 words a day consistently, sometimes more.  This will be less, so we'll see.  I'm currently fleshing out the characters now, and working on my outline so I stay on track.